Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Rob Dean
I have finally been feeling inspired this weekend, although, as usual, my Muse has her own way of doing things.
Back in September I posted a thread with some pictures of the first two HeroForge miniatures I had ordered and painted.
A couple of days ago, I got a Cigar Box Battles mat for urban terrain, which will be where whatever this project turns out to be takes place.
So, today I sat down and worked on some of the figures that have been on my desk for it:
The new figures finished today are in the front row. From left to right, Violet is a HeroForge figure; Karl is a Reaper 50211, and Cynthia and Kyle are from the Reaper 50042 Modern Children set. The skateboarder is on the table...
I'm still not sure whether this is going to be a skirmish game of some sort, or a roleplaying game, but there are at least some characters to get started.
I was asked to paint my friend's steel Hero Forge mini. The character is a Half-Fairy Werewolf Drunken Master, so no judgment on the design of the mini. I have painted 5 or 6 of the, "cheap" and expensive plastic minis from Hero Forge but this is the first metal one. I have to say they are tough but as rough as 60 grit sandpaper, and you lose almost all fine detail. In the picture the metal one is on the right, the priest in the center is the cheap plastic, and the bard on the left is the HQ plastic. Still yet to see a brass one.
I live! I spent January making lots of little art that piqued my interest to get back into making art frequently again!
I painted a friend's Heroforge mini. It's quite grainy compared to metal minis but goodness, has it gotten so much better. I also have a rough camera adding additional graininess. It's hard to see here, but the vast majority of his robes are in Leather White. Pure White was only used for the extreme highlights, like on the potion bottle. The red also has green in the shadows. I'm learning!
I painted our entire set of the Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeons and Mines tiles!
This was an in progress photo. I realized the moment after I packed everything perfectly back into the boxes that I didn't get a completed photo.
Some finished pieces before repacking them up. Bless this sculptor, y'all. I drybrushed my way through all this while rewatching the Office and everything looks heckin' great because of these amazing textures!
I painted the new Bones Black Owlbear. I had to give it antlers, of course! This was a fun accidental exercise in almost monochrome. It's all purple but I intentionally chose some blue purples and red purples. The darkest color used was Nightshade Purple and the brightest was Snowdrift White. There's more variation in the white but I struggle with this camera phone. I'm really liking how solid it feels but I haven't tried testing it the way they tested the original Bones at conventions. :)
It also made for a really pretty palette!
Lastly (though it was the first in the timeline), I sewed some velvet bags for our new favorite game, The Quacks of Quedlinburg. I think it helped me get back into my art groove because I got excited about a thing, wanted to make something related to it, and already had the skills for it. I wanted it and I got it!
They're not stellar photos, but a cheap lightbox certainly brought this camera up to mediocre.
On Wednesdays I’ve been playing in Storm King’s Thunder at my FLGS, and since I have lots of minis, I’ve basically been providing the minis for the game, including for my fellow players. However, in spite of how expansive my collection is, I don’t always have a perfect match… sometimes not even close to a good match.
This was the case for the party’s human warlock and bard. For the warlock, I was using an elven bladesinger, and the bard was a female elven bard, both from the Chainmail line. It was not a good fit for the rogue-like warlock, and my utter and total lack of male bards of any type was frankly astonishing.
The monk was okay (also from the chainmail line), but as an asamar, the skin was wrong, and the colors of everything else was off too.
So with my most recent order I selected some new minis.
14544: Ian, Ivy Crown Mage for the warlock
02500: Fergus the Weaver for the bard
After washing them and taking care of a bit of flash and moldlines (very minor in both cases) I mixed up some greenstuff and pressed out new bases to match the bases I’ve made for the rest of the party’s minis from the Ruined Courtyard stamp from Happy Seppuku. Once the greenstuff was cured I spray primed them black, and then got to painting.
I’m still blocking in colors, and checking with my fellow players to make sure they match what they picture in their minds. I used Tanned Flesh for the warlock and and bard’s skin, and NMM Gold for the monk’s skin. Beyond that I’m not really sure what to do for the monk… Waiting on feedback.
For the warlock, I’m painting the tunic in blue, and I’m thinking about trying to give the impression of raven’s feathers for the mantle. The yellow accents will give a nice contrast to the otherwise black/blue/purple colors that’ll make up his pallet.
The bard I’m less clear on how to paint him up. So far I’m going with a bright red tunic with some yellow/gold trim. We’ll see what feedback I get from the player going forward.
More to come!
Who's Online 36 Members, 1 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Disciple of Sakura
- Chris Palmer
- Rob Dean
- Darsc Zacal
- Lord Martarius
- Sophie was taken