Pingo

Drawing the Beast Within, by Pingo (picture intensive, no kidding)

23 posts in this topic

Next I added more nuanced shading to the cloak, trying to keep a sense of whiteness by using very fine pens and drawing the tones with fine, closely spaced lines.  I drew the gore on the hem more boldly and hopefully it gives a sense of something befouled.

I finished the foreground, drawing fine freehand nearly-parallel horizontal lines to give a sense of space and a smooth floor. There is a disturbing trailing puddle of darkness to the right.

Since I was finishing the foreground I signed and dated the drawing.  Since I am maintaining a pretense of internet anonymity, I greyed it out in the photos.

DSC_0507-anonymous.jpg.a721f212f6c88364571ec1afc00313b0.jpg

I started to fill in the right background with a medium large brush pen.

DSC_0511-anonymous.jpg.e07ec74685c32e09ea26fb3e50d4a105.jpgk

DSC_0515-anonymous.jpg.155d746c4623c9efb8be33f9e0fe318d.jpg

4 people like this

Here are some close-ups, some with a centimeter scale, to show details:

DSC_0515-detail-1.jpg.71e76cddda600435d109ba94bcf0c65f.jpg

DSC_0515-detail-2.jpg.677d82658f35e740a22c80f9eb523df3.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg.9a03497658aa91a88a359214fba6d57b.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg.f3b25f0ea14c213e3272da32d5a870a4.jpg

5 people like this

Finally I finished it.  I kind of got into a groove and didn't take any intermediate pictures except this one:

DSC_0737.jpg.c7028e658dbd4e6a40aecf14ec3f25aa.jpg

I decided to go for a sort of smoky texture on the right involving a lot of layers of irregular shapes using brushes and pens of many sizes. I also touched up bits here and there on the drawing. I made the creature's teeth darker because they looked a little bright and stark.

Anyhow, here are a couple more details:

DSC_0743-detail-anonymized.jpg.5ca144cf752485e44fdc21153b49a15d.jpg

DSC_0744-detail.jpg.dcc5933de1a32ab3b2c4e5685d7b6f57.jpg

8 people like this

The final drawing:

DSC_0742-DONE-anonymized.jpg.3dbc5cf339b86c2e69d6f77810d4a845.jpg

15 people like this

This evokes all the creepy numinousity I got at age 8 or so from the illustrated Wreck of the Hesperus.

1 person likes this

Amazing!

1 person likes this

yes, yes, yes. And also: yes.

thank you for walking us through this.

1 person likes this

On 10/13/2017 at 7:02 AM, Froggy the Great said:

This evokes all the creepy numinousity I got at age 8 or so from the illustrated Wreck of the Hesperus.

Bonus points for “numinous”.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      By itself this figure is 02863: Female Werewolf by James van Schaik, but to be clear I got mine as part of the set 03495: DHL Classics: Lady Lycanthropes. I have two copies, but of course they are sold singly.

It's an evocative little figure, with a slim build and fur suggestive of long hair. The tail is a separate piece which was too thin for my pinning skills, so it is simply glued on.

I decided to paint these two in realistic wolf style. - That is, colored as real wolves would be, though distorted.

After cleaning up mold lines, I prepared them by priming thinly with Titanium White and washing over with Burnt Umber.

I also threw a quick green on the bases mixed from Yellow Oxide, Hansa Yellow and a small amount of Carbon Black (yellow + black is a fun and unexpected way to make bright greens!).

Those broccoli bases caused me endless trouble.  Note the tiny white specks on them?  Those are tiny pits where the paint didn't take. I will eventually come to spend all sorts of time poking with specially thinned paint and tiny brushes trying to eliminate those white spots.
    • By Glitterwolf
      After working on her for more than a year, I finally finished the Countess.

WIP here:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65336-solarwind-countess-karnstein-bust-by-xherman1964/?hl=karnstein

Many pics. So I will put them in a few posts:

I learned a lot along the way.

**** LADIES and GENTLEMEN and CREATURES visiting this Forum!!!***

**** I present SHE WHO RULES THE NIGHT!!!, THE MOST MURDEROUS ONE!!!!, THE LADY OF DARKNESS!!!!***

**** COUNTESS KARNSTEIN!!!****

*** That will do Furball!!!***

*** BEHOLD MY BEAUTY!!!!***

*** NOW BOW TO ME!!!***

• By Pingo
      This is another of the PCs for the "Exalted" campaign set in White Wolf's World of Darkness which I'm currently involved in.

This character was a medieval Persian vampire who reverted to human when she Exalted as a Zenith caste Solar.  Among other things, she has a sword which shines with the light of the Sun.

The figure is from Hasslefree, HFA004 "Kat", sculpted by Kev White.  There's a WIP thread here.

The lighting effect changes a lot at different angles so I included lots of pictures.

• By Pingo
      This is a figure from the Goth set from the game "Wild in the Streets" by Slow Death Games.  Thanks to FishNJeeps for directing me to them when I needed miniatures of modern people in goth-punk wear for a World of Darkness game.

I painted up the figure as a vampire.  It didn't originally have any facial hair; that's all painted on.

There isn't a WIP thread.  So as a quick note, although I have seen people able to do wonderfully subtle and menacing vampires who still look like vampires, I find that unless I paint mine in stark black and white they look like regular people.

• Who's Online   29 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)