Drawing the Beast Within, by Pingo (picture intensive, no kidding)

Next I added more nuanced shading to the cloak, trying to keep a sense of whiteness by using very fine pens and drawing the tones with fine, closely spaced lines.  I drew the gore on the hem more boldly and hopefully it gives a sense of something befouled.

I finished the foreground, drawing fine freehand nearly-parallel horizontal lines to give a sense of space and a smooth floor. There is a disturbing trailing puddle of darkness to the right.

Since I was finishing the foreground I signed and dated the drawing.  Since I am maintaining a pretense of internet anonymity, I greyed it out in the photos.

I started to fill in the right background with a medium large brush pen.

• Like 4

Here are some close-ups, some with a centimeter scale, to show details:

• Like 5

Finally I finished it.  I kind of got into a groove and didn't take any intermediate pictures except this one:

I decided to go for a sort of smoky texture on the right involving a lot of layers of irregular shapes using brushes and pens of many sizes. I also touched up bits here and there on the drawing. I made the creature's teeth darker because they looked a little bright and stark.

Anyhow, here are a couple more details:

• Like 8

On 10/13/2017 at 7:02 AM, Froggy the Great said:

This evokes all the creepy numinousity I got at age 8 or so from the illustrated Wreck of the Hesperus.

Bonus points for “numinous”.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 60164: Vampire Hunter, as she is rather innocently called. She is remarkably armed and armored. I think she is from Pathfinder, and I am sure there is some story there.
      There is no WIP thread.
      Comments and critiques are, as always, welcomed.

• By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 50189: Abram Van Helsing, Vampire Hunter, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.
      There is no WIP thread.
      As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

• By Pingo
      This is the female vampire hunter, BFM MLS008 from Bad Squiddo Games.
      There is no WIP thread.
      I painted her up as a Latina because something about her outfit felt a little Spanish Baroque to me.

• By Pingo
      Bad Squiddo Games put out this set of four vampire hunters (from rather different eras), SKU: BFM MLS007. Some parts of some of the sculpts are a little crude. In the end I think I painted them rather roughly, but then my sympathies tend to lie on the other side.
      There is no WIP.
      I think of this guy as the Dum-Dum Dugan of the group.
      This one just seemed disreputable, almost as scary as the monsters he hunts.

This guy could be any sort of modernish cowboy or frontiersman, I think.

I painted up the Baroque one as Latino and imagined him dealing with infestations in colonial California.

This isn't a great angle, except I like how his chained book turned out. We have some old books about, and the ancient worn leather does tend to look like that.

• By Pingo
      This is Hasslefree's HFA181: Big Charles, painted up as a vampire (although he could do duty for something else awful and inhuman as well, maybe a zombie). I had accidentally acquired two of him and this seemed a reasonable use for the extra one, especially since one of my GMs is running a vampire-heavy campaign.
      He hasn't got a shadow on purpose because vampire ...
      There is no WIP thread. Critiques, questions, and comments are welcome, as always.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)