ladystorm

Funded
Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

8788 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, LittleBluberry said:

I can totally believe that Argent is a capstone piece.  It's been stated that it's as tall as Mal, which makes it a very impressive large dragon.  I also suspect that with the sculpt being worked on during the wrap up party and tech issues complicating things, the opportunity to hype up the presentation of Argent didn't get pulled off as well as it could.  Bryan can only juggle so many balls, and so fast.  

Argent is actually one of my favorite dragons, the pose is majestic and the legs look nice and sturdy.  I also like the idea that someone other than Julie Guthrie got to sculpt a dragon--it's only fair to share the fun around.  ^_^ 

I think a bunch of the problem with Argent has been lack of scale. Sure, the graphic says it is 12" tall, but without Sir Forscale in there, or some other minis, makes it tough to judge. Kinda the same thing that has been happening with Mossbeard, but on a larger scale (if indeed Argent really is Ma'al's size).

6 people like this

19 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I wonder then which of those were they referring to when they said in the first preview video that they had something even "bigger" than DoD?  Since neither seems bigger in either size or "wow" factor.

The Barge has me wowed, at least. ::D:

Picturing that, a couple of undead war mammoths from Grenadier, and a small army of undead, marching and sailing down the slow, shallow river...

I am blaming Conan for that... in my head, that is a Stygian barge, not Styxian. (Howard's Conan,  not the movies, thank you very much....)

Heck, it almost makes me want to blow the dust off of my Mongoose Games Conan RPG....

The Auld Grump

11 people like this

26 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

barge and Argent were the capstones for the ks.

I was about to ask what this Argent was that I keep seeing mentioned.  No clue how I missed this reveal during the party.  Well there is another $20 I will be "forced" to spend. :)

6 people like this

Argent is pretty epic, but I think the problem also was the price... As odd as it sounds, being $20, kind of makes it seem less epic... As in its too cheap. DoD was not the "biggest" to me meant a $50 or $60 big thing was coming. Argent being less expensive than the DoD kind of made me think that was not the Capstone. I love Argent and will be getting 2 (1 for a friend) and Argent drew in another of My pathfinder group in... But the Price may have lead to others not taking it as serious as it is...

The Barge is my favorite in the Kickstarter. To me that was the Capstone. If I can swing it I may get more than 2.... Love the barge. So many ideas for how to use it in games...

5 people like this

15 minutes ago, Brennor said:

I think a bunch of the problem with Argent has been lack of scale. Sure, the graphic says it is 12" tall, but without Sir Forscale in there, or some other minis, makes it tough to judge. Kinda the same thing that has been happening with Mossbeard, but on a larger scale (if indeed Argent really is Ma'al's size).

10 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Barge has me wowed, at least. ::D:

Picturing that, a couple of undead war mammoths from Grenadier, and a small army of undead, marching and sailing down the slow, shallow river...

I am blaming Conan for that... in my head, that is a Stygian barge, not Styxian. (Howard's Conan,  not the movies, thank you very much....)

Heck, it almost makes me want to blow the dust off of my Mongoose Games Conan RPG....

The Auld Grump

I just looked back  at the email updates for both the barge and Argent, and they are totally devoid of any descriptive text that might indicate that they were meant to be capstones, or even at they were huge or special.   I think the barge would have been more wow if they had released it all as one big set at a higher price then playing the 3-part game.

I think I agree with the assesment above that Brian may just have been too overwhelmed with all the balls he had to juggle at the party.

6 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Argent is pretty epic, but I think the problem also was the price... As odd as it sounds, being $20, kind of makes it seem less epic... As in its too cheap. DoD was not the "biggest" to me meant a $50 or $60 big thing was coming. Argent being less expensive than the DoD kind of made me think that was not the Capstone. I love Argent and will be getting 2 (1 for a friend) and Argent drew in another of My pathfinder group in... But the Price may have lead to others not taking it as serious as it is...

The Barge is my favorite in the Kickstarter. To me that was the Capstone. If I can swing it I may get more than 2.... Love the barge. So many ideas for how to use it in games...

And I agree with the assessments of the prices.  Neither in my mind had a capstone price.  The price of things has a lot to do with the psychology of how the customer perceives them.

Edited by Chris Palmer
6 people like this

5 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I just looked back back at the email updates for both the barge and Argent, and they are totally devoid of any descriptive text that might indicate that they were meant to be capstones, or even at they were huge or special.   I think the barge would have been more wow if they had released it all as one big set at a higher price then played the 3-part game.

I think I agree with the assembly that Brian may just have been too overwhelmed with all the balls he had to juggle at the party.

And I agree with the assume that of the price.  Neither in my mind had a capstone price.  The price of things has a lot to do with the psychology of how the customer perceives them.

I think I mentioned in the forum, somewhere, just how amazingly cheap Argent was given the size as described. I mean, that's a big freakin' dragon! So I agree, the lack of scale, the lack of a finished sculpt, and the price probably all conspired to make it not obviously a capstone. In hindsight, the "This isn't everything! We've got more!" style communication might have echoed the "We've got bigger stuff coming!" sales pitch we were getting earlier a little too much for those of us who managed to overlook Argent's size.

I'm still hoping we can get the rest of the barge unlocked. I'm definitely in for one as-is but I'd be sad if we didn't figure out what else they had planned for it. I'm guessing they're not going to want to follow up on it in Bones V, and that's probably two years away anyway!

Edited by terminalmancer
5 people like this

DoD is still, in my mind, the capstone

that thing has fascinated and wow'd me all during hte campaign, from the teaser right up to the end of it. 

ARgent might be bigger, but he doens't have the 'OMG SO COOL' factor (for me) that DoD has

i'm still getting him, and he'll be an impressive dragon for sure (hopefully with different scales >.> but regardless, he'll be nice)

10 people like this

I wonder if Argent's price reflects needing fewer pieces in the mold, which I gather drives up the cost and complexity of the models.

12 people like this

I know I kept referring to him as Bahama Mahamut during the campaign, but I'm not sure that I could do him as a tropical / tiki, leisure dragon... hard to work that in with the majestic pose...

8 people like this

Yeah DoD is the one I was waiting to see added after the tease video.  Was glad to see it live at the party and show it off to my daughter.

4 people like this

1 minute ago, hungerfan said:

Yeah DoD is the one I was waiting to see added after the tease video.  Was glad to see it live at the party and show it off to my daughter.

i have so many ideas on how to paint it, it's going to be hard to narrow it down

5 people like this

Yeah I told her that once we have it we may need to have her paint a dragon and her cousin can paint the other.

If we had won the raffle for it I knew who would be getting it in the mail. Alas, we were not lucky enough for any raffle wins that day.

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

I know I kept referring to him as Bahama Mahamut during the campaign, but I'm not sure that I could do him as a tropical / tiki, leisure dragon... hard to work that in with the majestic pose...

You make a base that is the top of Halaeakala or Diamond Head, then him looking down upon his tropical island. You make him wear a woven grass crown. At his paw is an actual tiki shot glass. 

9 people like this

i wonder if the skeletal dragon will fit in the ruined temple from fantasy scenics?

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i wonder if the skeletal dragon will fit in the ruined temple from fantasy scenics?

no

2 people like this