ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

This isn't exactly rewarding my faith in the company either.

If I want cheesecake, I can get cheesecake. Cheesecake is easy, common and often just as well sculpted. 

Fierce, scary warriors that might actually worry my players? Harder to find.

Even if I forgive the general added cheesecake that happens to so many female miniatures here at Reaper and other miniature houses, I still have a problem with the renders.

The original art screams angry young female hunters hunting small game (small for frost giants) but ready to prove they are ready to kill much bigger prey, monsters and beasts.

The renders scream their moms (their awesome warrior moms) or themselves after 30 years and forgetting they need armor with more room and protection padding in the chest area.

I am happy for awesome female warrior minis but they do not all have to be endowed with such large tracks of land, and if they are at least give them the medieval equivalent of a sports bra.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Thanks for sharing.  Kickstarter comments have a history of being toxic so a lot of people don't check there as often.  

For my part, the tone of the KS comments can be ignored. My issue with the comments is that, in general, the comments generally come so quickly that I'd have to scroll back further than my attention would bare. :rolleyes:

Of course the comments do come slower these days, but I have grown lax on checking the comments.

• Like 6

RE: lady giants---

I can understand the unhappiness, and everyone is certainly free to express their opinions, but I think saying Reaper intentionally cheated you is going a bit far...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The frost giants aren't the same as the concept art, but they are still nice models. for $15 I may add a second set.. I would have preferred a model closer to the concept, but for $7.50 each I think the models are pretty good. If these were $50 a piece I might think differently. Large and in charge. Not saying people aren't entitled to be disappointed, but If Reaper already sculpted these and have a production mold, I don't think its realistic to expect them to change anything at this point. You guys have said your peace. Reaper can take that as a learning experience for the future, but I think this particular ship has sailed. I don't know how much more they can say on it either other than what Reaper Ron already said. "sorry if your disappointed".

Edit: Also don't know if I would call these "Cheesecake" they have bigger breasts, but that doesn't always equal cheesecake. Her breasts are covered, she looks more clothed than the frost giant queen... and I don't recall her being labeled as cheesecake.

99.png

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I was going to say I hope they don't add breasts to Baba Yagas hut, but then I thought that, well, the hut already has chicken legs... so if breasts were added they'd obviously be chicken breasts... and chicken breasts are tasty... 

So yeah. I'd be good with that.

:winkthumbs:

Also.

Looks like I won't be adding to my pledge until I'm visiting family in July. They want my expertise opinion on some of the minis on offer before they close their pledge. 

So we'll be comparing notes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I can understand the unhappiness, and everyone is certainly free to express their opinions, but I think saying Reaper intentionally cheated you is going a bit far...

I must've missed that post. Never saw anyone say that. It's mostly lots of people pointing out that these are not what we paid for. I know I'm repeating myself, but for my part it seems more like a situation where the people in charge of this set either forgot why they were designed so purposefully aggressive and cleavage free, or they were never fully told. It wasn't an accident in the design. Their aggression and cheesecake free armor was a direct response to a wave of backers requesting exactly that. Their stretch goal reveal caused the comments to flood with thanks and cheers, with many people praising the total absence of cheese. 

I 100% agree that the change wasn't anybody trying to cheat anybody out of anything. That said, these ladies were designed to fulfill a specific consensus of requests from backers. It was clear during the campaign that Reaper understood what that consensus was, and the always amazing Izzy delivered the goods (with a bonus dose of dire wolf awesomeness). These giants were added to the campaign as a direct response to the KS community's requests. Sadly, the community will not be getting them. No explanation given. It's baffling.

I'm probably wrong about them forgetting the whole impetus for the Frost giant's original design. Who knows. Maybe they just decided to go in a different direction after a meeting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Agreed.  It's concept art, it changes.  Some of the previous Kickstarters had a lot more variation from the initial sketches, but I don't remember this kind of reaction.

41 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Edit: Also don't know if I would call these "Cheesecake" they have bigger breasts, but that doesn't always equal cheesecake. Her breasts are covered, she looks more clothed than the frost giant queen... and I don't recall her being labeled as cheesecake.

I'm with you there.  I'm still seeing the same armed ladies in the same active pose.  I keep seeing pin-up and cheesecake, and I think more of lines like Kingdom Death or a chainmail bikini. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

Some of the previous Kickstarters had a lot more variation from the initial sketches, but I don't remember this kind of reaction.

There was a bit of an uproar in Bones 3 about basketballs being added to a couple of the ladies. The disappointment wasn't as big as this though. The big outpouring here is because these figures were designed from backer requests. Backers kept asking for serious giant female fighters. A lot of people asked for similar things like full armor, no cheese, "not another Yephima", or "not another half exposed female casually holding a weapon like Svetlana or Vanja". Backers were unusually unified and the concept art showed that Reaper really heard the requests. The disappointment comes from knowing that Reaper understood what backers were asking for. They delivered it 100% in the concept art. The plastic won't. Since the design came from a tsunami of backer enthusiasm , the disappointment is making an understandably big wave, too. 

• Like 9

^ that's the issue I see. These were made due to backer requests for female giants that looked like warriors, not posing sexily or with giant busts, and the concept art was great on that

but the renders gave them what people were asking to NOT have...large busts. Backers were asking for fierce lady giants, and the concept art looked fantastic in having them look that part without needing large unsupported breasts getting in the way and being so pronounced. I honestly am not a fan of 'cheesecake' minis with large breasts unsupported and unnaturally armored. I was really excited about these giants, for a big part, becuase they didn't have such gratuitous 'look i' a sexy well endowed female' look to them

that's why i'll be carving off the added on boobs and sculpting armor in their place to get them back to how they were when i pledged for them

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4

All this talk of cheesecake has me seriously craving some strawberry cheesecake...  Oh, and wanting to suggest that in the sprue of add-ons a giant sized roll of cheese be added, bonus if it's some sort of weapon >. >;;;;

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

All this talk of cheesecake has me seriously craving some strawberry cheesecake...  Oh, and wanting to suggest that in the sprue of add-ons a giant sized roll of cheese be added, bonus if it's some sort of weapon >. >;;;;

Oh maybe a greathammer of Swiss swishing? or a greatstaff of mozzarella mashing?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

The frost giants aren't the same as the concept art, but they are still nice models. for $15 I may add a second set.. I would have preferred a model closer to the concept, but for $7.50 each I think the models are pretty good. If these were $50 a piece I might think differently. Large and in charge. Not saying people aren't entitled to be disappointed, but If Reaper already sculpted these and have a production mold, I don't think its realistic to expect them to change anything at this point. You guys have said your peace. Reaper can take that as a learning experience for the future, but I think this particular ship has sailed. I don't know how much more they can say on it either other than what Reaper Ron already said. "sorry if your disappointed".

My worry is that if people who are upset for good reason do not keep complaining the lesson Reaper will learn is keep modeling all females with larger tracks of land. 

I Reaper gets it, then I expect them to make it right and have new sculpts done.

Heck I would happily buy both the correct sculpts/renders set based on the art work and the more mature sculpts/renders that have already been done. 

But if they do not get it I expect them to do nothing and force people to take it, and if they do that expect the same thing to be done during the next KS because they will have learned nothing.   

Edited by kodiakbear
  • Like 4

Well... we do have a fishwife, dwarf butcher, dwarf brewer, dwarf pirate cook, and a halfling cook. Maybe it's time for a cheese monger. 

• Like 3

I've gotta echo the disappointment with the Frost Giantesses. Being that they were my favorite items to pledge based on the concept art, the more I think about how they turned out, the more disappointed I am. The pose of the wolf, the "enhancements"... The figures just didn't translate all that well from the art. I can't change my pledge, so I'll be painting them up regardless. It's just a shame that one of the things I was most excited about I'm now not excited about at all.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself.

You heard it here folks!  Not everybody is excited by those kind of "enhancements"!

Edited by kodiakbear