ladystorm

Funded
Reaper Bones 4: Information Thread

240 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Day 5 Infobits Summary part 2:

If green cells are determined, can you tell us how many there could be and/or the dollar value where they top out?

-

We tend to build far beyond what our top projections are, because you never know. And we generally don't share our estimates, because a) our top estimate might become a self fulfilling prophecy and somehow "max us out" or b) if we fail to make our top goal, some one is going to call this project a failure because it failed to meet expectations. I'm happy to "fail" to make our highest possible projection. Honestly, I'm pretty happy already, I think this is going really well.

I was asking this earlier but is it possible to use two different types of bones [such as regular and translucent] in the same mold or is that just not how things work.

-

Not at the same time. We'd have to run the mold once with material A and again with material B

----

Wouldn't you have to have a way to close part of the mold so that Material A only fills the right part and leaves space for Material B? 

-

Come [to] the factory, I'll show you Thomas, and show you why that doesn't do what you think it does.

Here is an animated gif that shows what happens inside a mold. Basically, this is why we can't put two materials in at the same time, one per half. Link here. (not a Rickroll)

We say Bones-E-Um at the shop, Bones-ium. Bon-ez-ium is the British pronunciation,

Is Thomas still just making bases or do you now make minis in TX too?

-

We have some Bones molds in TX, but not all.

We can do material A, and then swap out the material, and run material b. 2 different presses. We cannot do material A and B in the same press. Well, I mean we could, but we'd get the same effect as cheesex swirly dice.

They use a special two nozzle machine with 2 injection points, and the molds are structured to fill at a specific rate, causing the plastic to meet and fuse before setting. I'm sure we could do it in theory, but not with the equipment we have

------

"same effect as Chessex swirly dice."  ... that could be super-awesome for some purposes, I'm guessing. Likely it's a logistical nightmare, however.

-

We get such an effect when we change form one material to another, for a small number of presses. But it is not repeatable, and managing it consistently would require intentionally poorly mixing, and it would be a headache

I saw that Bones 3 had videos. Any idea when Bones 4 will get some figure showcase videos?

-

We will have videos yes. Those videos tend to go up once a week, roughly

If I keep my $1 pledge for add-ons but want to add $100 for the core set when the pledge manager opens up, I can, right?

-

Absolutely. Be aware, however, that the additional $99 (+shipping) added via the PM do not contribute to unlocking new goals. For that, if [$99] is beyond your budget, pledge what won't hurt you, so that as much as possible is contributed to the goal.

I'd like to explain a little more. Let's assume, for purposes of this example, that our funding total, no matter what happens, is destined to end at precisely 1000 Gold Pieces. We can use 1000 GP to make 100 molds. If everyone puts that into the KS we get to make 100 molds. If enough people do as you propose, pledge $1,and later add $99, we still end up at 1000 GP, but KS only raised 800 GP. This means we only make 80 new molds. While financially, this is strictly speaking more profitable for us, we genuinely would rather make the 100 molds and less profit, than 80 molds and a little gold left over.

If we reach 3.14 for the second time, I will take two pies. One from Cheryl, one from Ron

Hey - any hints you can give us re: any up coming Ng terrain that might be in the KS?

Well we've got some statuary. There was a bunch we produced for CROM that reverted to us when their project fell through.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
10 people like this

Day 5 Infobits Summary part 3 (the last one for Day 5):

I'm a little concerned about shipping costs. Do we pay shipping calculated on every order placed? Will I accrue a higher shipping rate ultimately by buying the same amount of stuff over ten orders than I would by placing it all in a single order?

-

Our system is smart enough to combine everything as if it was all one order, and calculate the total, minus what was already paid, and so each subsequent order only adds the difference

The only way you could have 10 orders is to pledge under 10 different user names. Everything you add in the pledge manager over the months until it closes is still one order.

-

Untrue. The PM will allow multiple orders now.

So like after the KS ends will it be a transaction to transaction basis like as if it were a store? Or will it just calculate everything and then I have to sit on the money until it ships?

-

ok, let's say you have 3 orders. Each time you place an order, we calculate your shipping. For purposes of this explanation, let's assume $20 shipping on your first order. The you place another order, which would bring the total in shipping to $22. You will pay $2 in shipping when you place your second order. Then the third order you add more stuff, and get a total of $37 shipping. You will pay $15 the third time, for a grand total of $37. when we ship it, we will put all 3 orders in one box.

so I can get 40 sophies on one account now?

-

ten copies per order, as many orders as your budget allows between when we import your pledge data as a credit to your account, and close the PM on July 31, 2018.

Have you planed something special if we break the 3,429,236$ of bones 1?

-

It's entirely possible. I can't say

1) The Kickstarter data and our pledge manager are not linked!

2) You must use the same email address to register with our pledge manager as you did for Kickstarter or they will not sync up later.

3) After the Kickstarter ends we receive limited information about you from Kickstarter. Level, pledge amount, pledge level and backer number—that’s it. You must create a pledge manager account so we can get two very important bits of data that Kickstarter does not provide. A) Your shipping address B) How you want to apply your pledge money.

4) Once the we have the data from Kickstarter it takes a few weeks for us to sync the data based on the email address provided. Once that happens you MUST return to the pledge manager and finalize your pledge. Please do not assume that because you pledge $100 and selected a $100 level that you are done! You must lock in your pledge using our pledge manager!

Please spread the word for this and help your fellow backers understand.

I believe you can pledge up to $10,000 in a single account. Just in case you were wondering. ~Matt

will you have anyone at the NOVA Open?

-

We are not sending official representatives to NOVA open

these are all new sculpts (the Nagendra)

End of Day 5.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :

8 people like this

I love the new "Living Statues" add-on! They look very large though - are they a full 2" at the base, or could they be used on 1" dungeon paper with a little room for PC minis to fit around it in the next squares?

Also, when I was in the Pledge Manager, I noticed an error that you might need to fix - at the very top, before selecting award you state "Rewards from this project are estimated to ship to backers beginning in February of 2018" (emphasis mine). I assume this should be 2019.

4 people like this

Not super important, but would it be possible to get a picture of the two Spartans turned to face each other? I'm curious how they look on oposite sides of a hall.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, SheWhoPaints said:

Also, when I was in the Pledge Manager, I noticed an error that you might need to fix - at the very top, before selecting award you state "Rewards from this project are estimated to ship to backers beginning in February of 2018" (emphasis mine). I assume this should be 2019.

Thank you for pointing that out.

It has been corrected.

3 hours ago, SheWhoPaints said:

"Living Statues" add-on!  - are they a full 2" at the base, or could they be used on 1" dungeon paper with a little room for PC minis to fit around it in the next squares?

Base is 1 inch square

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Not super important, but would it be possible to get a picture of the two Spartans turned to face each other? I'm curious how they look on oposite sides of a hall.

forwarded to those who make that decision

On 8/4/2017 at 9:56 PM, Jackalunious said:

I noticed how that a lot of the minis (minotaurs, kobolds, Rocky, fire giant huntsman, etc) seem to be built on round bases. Is this true? And if so, will they be produced connected?

maybe

integral bases are what we usually do, however there are larger models that have bases separate as one of the many pieces that need to be assembled.

This is generally part of the mold making process and won't be known yet.

On 8/5/2017 at 6:55 AM, Sae said:

Skeletal Monsters addon: Do you plan to make the extra skulls interchangable on these miniatures? (because that would be neat and useful)

we do not plan on this however the nature of Bones, conversions are super easy

11 people like this

2 hours ago, ladystorm said:

we do not plan on this however the nature of Bones, conversions are super easy

The extra skulls are more or less to scale with the skeletal monsters though, correct? 

1 person likes this

Hello, I am wondering what the material is like for this kickstarter? Is it the same plastic as in other Bones miniatures or are there some metal ones as well? Hard to tell from the pictures.  Thank you.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, gerb said:

Hello, I am wondering what the material is like for this kickstarter? Is it the same plastic as in other Bones miniatures or are there some metal ones as well? Hard to tell from the pictures.  Thank you.

Metal is beyond the scope of this project.

Same plastics as previous Bones.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just going to post one question and answer from the KS comments as it is something I have seen asked here on the forums. I don't know how to do all of the fancy Oneboot stuff so I'll just copy and paste. Hope I am not stepping on any toes and if I am, please delete.

Dan Masucci about 6 hours ago

Reaper- will the legs be removable for Baba Yaga's Hut?

Ron Hawkins about 6 hours ago

Dan - that's the plan.

Dan - our staff sculptor and resident Jack-of-all-trades and Mythos-Sculptor Kevin Williams has insisted the legs be separate, as he only wants to use it as terrain, not a chicken hut.

Bane172 about 6 hours ago

@Reaper - Is there anything larger than the baba yaga hut planned?

Bane - taller? Yes.

Bane172 about 6 hours ago

@Ron - Bigger does not denote 1 dimension....:P Also is there interior in the hut?

Bane - not it does not. See Dragon Magazine #83 "The Dancing Hut" adventure as to why we can't show the interior. :)

Or I should say why we can't "produce" an interior!

Edited by Pochi
8 people like this

627aff85b457b6f34c9d399d0a3fe639_origina

566824e52150fd5e78804a2572817c89_origina

c3cd3f5c9cc95f52561d506e07036722_origina

8dd92d6a4700d2ac1d2a5bffa63b112a_origina

15 people like this

Where is that undead dragon thing covering the coffin that was advertised for bones 4???!!!!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Kendal said:

Where is that undead dragon thing covering the coffin that was advertised for bones 4???!!!!

We have many things still unrevealed for the next few weeks.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

Okay, bear with me because I've got a few days to catch up on.

Day 6 Infobits Summary part 1:

There is a problem in scale miniatures that unless secondary sexual characteristics aren't exaggerated, they aren't recognizable. Our Reptus line, as one example, featured reptile modes, where the females and males had the same body type, but the females had spines and the males has horns on their noses. We were accused of not making females in that line. We as mammals have a harder time, without coaching, recognizing non mammalian characteristics as applicable

I like to tell an anecdote that was shared with me by another companies art director. She told me that she once yelled at an artist over a 2-d work for their books, because there were 6 characters present, but no females. The artist responded that there were 3 females in the drawing. The art director looked again, and indeed, because 1 was helmeted, and the other two were in non-feminine clothing, she hadn't noticed at first. I tell this to remind people that we often use the obvious cue as an indicator, and that lack of that cue is frequently perceived as male, instead of what it is - an alternative representation

Now, This project we have heard, and will be rectifying, concerns about the lack of females. We certainly did not present the nagendress as "pandering" or "the solution". We offered her up as one additional option. Included in this is the tacit understanding that human-like breasts, which are different from almost every other mammal's and most primates, communicate "female" better to most observers than small, more subtle hints.

Other backers - I know you have the best of intentions, but it is not necessary to defend us when we're active. We are capable of accepting criticisms and responding, and in many cases of adapting on the fly. Remember that the frustration others have is because they are excited about the project, and many of the criticisms and concerns are justified.

@Talon - Traditionally a new goal causes a surge in the first hour, and a smaller surge the second hour. Overnight goals then have a subsequent surge around 8am PST, West Coast being our single largest demographic

Truthfully while grown the core set *eventually* results in new pledges, it is Paid Options that have the most visible immediate impact. We balance the slow pace a Core Add does in the short term, for the long terms effect a large Core has on drawing new people towards the end of the campaign

Backer numbers are the most critical indicator. Our current trends are that Avg $/Backer grows by $1 per reveal, and in the final 48 hours, it will grow more, as those who do no follow aggressively like most of you finally adjust up for revealed goals

Traditionally Sundays in general are the slowest days of the campaign.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
Misspelled word
12 people like this

Day 6 Infobits Summary part 2 (last one for Day 6):

@Seralamand - there will most likely be some terrain later in this project yet

@Enos - frequently with older sculpts, we would much prefer an updated version, as we believe now we could make it even better, and make it with the possibilities and limitations of bones in mind.

Some metal miniatures come with different options like different hands hold different weapons etc. Is there a reason that hasn't been carried over to bones?

-

@Bane, well, that's something that we're exploring ways to solve

I'm really surprised new people are still joining...where are these people coming from??

-

@Aaron Pung, according to our data, most of them are finding us on Facebook.

Anyway to tell how many people come from Reddit?

-

@Alexander Bortz - 3%

yes, you can pledge for multiples of anything, with no pre-requisites to get any specific set to qualify for others

End of Day 6.

Huzzah!

8 people like this

Day 7 Infobits Summary part 1:

they're not standard 28mm size. They're closer to 54mm [referring to the statues]

-

@Nethrear - yes, bases included, just not pre-attached. can be used separately.

-

@Nigel - We will not be offering a "spartans with Pants" option

-

The masters separate at the rubble/column connection point, enabling the statue to stand without the column, or upon it.

we encourage everyone to pledge responsibly.

if you add multiple cores you'll get multiples of the bonus 24 (since the whole core comes in a box), but they won't be a separate solo breakout when the core is available for a la carte purchase (at least traditionally that's how it's been).

-

@Wax Eagle - that's how it'll be this time too

Have you considered (or would you consider at some point), a KS exclusive color for a mold?

-

@Wax Eagle, that idea has been discussed in our meetings, although I can neither confirm nor deny that such a thing is planned. It has some pros and some cons.

what's the "limit on moulding cavities ... i'm assuming 5 since that's the average for humanoid sized mini groups

-

@Anonymous - it's more measured in square inches of surface area, with a given fixed buffer between cavities that prevents you from just cramming everything in. Given that, we have had produced around a dozen different sizes of mold, each with it's own surface area, total possible depth of cavity, and other requirements. This is not a simple or straightforward question. We have molds with 1 cavity (Kaladrax's base) and molds with a dozen cavities

which expansion was the most popular for bones 3?

-

@Type 2 - Stoneskull was #1, among those 3 items.

Continued below.

Huzzah!

9 people like this