TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

598 posts in this topic

Wow, when I first started this thread almost two years ago, I had no idea that it would still be going. But here we are.  

The Frequently Ignored "Rules"
1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted between 2AM and 9AM GMT (London time).
3.5 (Rule 3 may be the 2nd most broken rule.)
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me. 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why are always fun).
7. Weekend questions will take the form of  two or three day challenges, often starting on Fridays.

1st Question will be posted in a bit (had to wait so it didn't merge posts)

3 people like this

In light of the event today:

August 1: Do you plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

10 people like this

Just now, TaleSpinner said:

August 1: Do plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

Yes.

Get all the cool stuff.

Don't spend Daughter Dilvish's college fund.

I'll be getting the Core (great value) and then picking and choosing add-ons as desired.  I tend to spend around $500 or so per KS.  Because I've regretted not getting some of the big figures and then had to pay retail.  I'd rather get it and not need it for cheap than to not get it and have to pay full price.  If I decide that I have absolutely no use I can always give it away or sell it.

10 people like this

Just now, TaleSpinner said:

August 1: Do plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

Yes, I am.

Yes, I do.

I am currently not planning on getting the core set (I have many 20s of PC/adventurer types already). Depending on what is available, I intend to focus on terrain/scenery and big things that would be impossible and/or prohibitively expensive in metal.

Will that plan survive first contact with the enemy? We shall see...

8 people like this

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

I am doing my best to skip it, as I am coming to the realization that it would just be pointless acquisition on my part.  I haven't had the time or inclination to paint minis in a little over a year, few of my friends particularly care about painted pieces for board games or RPGs, and none of them are really interested in picking it up as a hobby. -_-

7 people like this

Yes, I do plan on backing.  I'm going to start with the core set and see where I go from there.  I do intend to be a bit more reserved this year though as NightyKnight heads off to college in a couple weeks and we'll be funding that endeavor for the next 4 years.  Also, I just flat out don't paint or play as much as I used to, so there really isn't a huge need for me to have a huge collection, but I am more than willing for Reaper and my fellow sculptors to tempt me into submission. :rolleyes:

12 people like this

8/1: Yes, I plan on backing; I'm going in with $200 at first pledge for core and whatever else fits in that budget.  I'm hoping to stick to that, but we'll see.  There's always the pledge manager after the fact, which I know doesn't help reach stretch goals, but it's still nice to know there's the option.

7 people like this

16 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 1: Do you plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

Yes I am. My goal is to get cool big stuff for cool little prices. My plan is to drop $200, and maybe add more after it's closed.

Then again that was my strategy for 3, and... Well... It didn't stick.

10 people like this

Yes I am. Yes I do. No, the plan will not survive the the campaign.

9 people like this

46 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes, I plan to back it.  No, I don't have anything resembling a goal or strategy.  This will be my first Bones KS so I'm not sure what to expect.  I know I will tend towards "Well, I should just get one of everything, just in case." but I'm not sure this is rationally the best approach.

9 people like this

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes, I have not quite started F5 F5 F5 on Kickstarter yet. I have limited funds to start this time after spending most of what I saved on emergency vet bills, but will add what I can during and after in the pledge manager. I will likely end up with all of the things. Except chibis and mouslings - I am not that fond of them. I am glad they are there for other folks though.

8 people like this

I'll probably pledge for core at the start to get a wave, though I don't know whether I'll end up actually getting a core set. I'll probably wait until fairly close to the end of the project to add to that pledge, because I have some expenses coming up that are more important (new car being the big one, plus books for my son's classes, which are always ridiculously priced.)

The current plan is to spend noticeably less than last time, though by the end of the pledge manager period? And mostly I'm looking for cool things at good prices.

6 people like this

My plan is to participate, and my usual approach has been to get the big stuff, because I've got ~30 years of metal already, so I don't need small stuff. 

However, I now have kids, and they would like to paint, too.  There is a possibility I will be getting the core set, although I'm not sure yet.  For KS3, I did about $150.  I would expect to do about the same in this one, although with the addition of a Core set that might get bumped up by $100.  Just gotta see what the offerings are.

8 people like this

No; I don't do Kick Starters. If I was young & foolish & just starting out on the miniatures adventure with a seemingly endless amount of time before me, I might be tempted, but I am old & foolish & I already have tucked away in The Vault of Pack Rattiness many more miniatures than I can possibly hope to paint with the time left to me.

There are a couple more reason that I would just as soon not get into; I may be an Old Grump at times, but I don't really want to sound that way.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes.

I will probably pick up every fantasy related thing. I am trying to change my D&D minis hoard over to painted Bones. 

Which means ill I'll be in for the core no matter. I do have many many PC models but it always seems like each one is not quite right for a particular character so I like choice. Also finding that very standard characters are good to have painted up for when people show up to games without a mini. So I'm ok with more PC types.

For sci-fi stuff my husband has to be interested. He is getting into Starfinder and thinking about running things for the Starfinder society,  so he may be more interested than he has been in the past. (Which gives me an idea... who wouldn't want a Bones xenomorph?)

Otherwise what really excites me are terrain items, small sized player characters in non traditional character classes, and monsters. 

I have not had to add much (and none in Bones 1 & 2) to the pledge manager. This may not be the case this time.

I can probably only spend $200. Husband hasn't liked how the bank account has been looking and since I am studying for a major exam, I can't pick up extra shifts at the moment. So I will have to live with what I can pledge for right now. 

Edited by Thes Hunter
9 people like this