TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

561 posts in this topic

Jeremy Irons. I love the man, and most of his acting, but oh lort...

6 people like this

Chainmail or other armored bikinis

8 people like this

Needless, ridiculous magic that doesn't fill a plot point. That kinda goes with "no over the top special effects". Like, awesome spell effects are cool, but the movie shouldn't be about that.

6 people like this

It should not include terrible unrealistic weapons. Yeah we all love giant swords covered in jools, but seriously just make it look real. 

6 people like this

Anything included only to "prove" that this is "really D&D".

Tell the story using the tools characters might have to hand and the D&D will come out by itself.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 9: What should the Dungeons and Dragons movie TOTALLY NOT have in it, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES?  (DocBedlam)

Any connection whatsoever to Courtney Solomon.  Oh crap, I've just discovered he's been named as a producer. :angry:

4 people like this

<Face Palm>   So...they have the same guy producing it as last time.  Yeah, that doesn't bode well.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 9: What should the Dungeons and Dragons movie TOTALLY NOT have in it, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES?  (DocBedlam)

I was going to say anyone involved with previous attempts, but apparently that's shot to crap.  In light of that, try to keep the goofiness down.  I get that most games involve a certain amount of player-induced goofiness, but if I wanted to watch an amateur comedy based in a D&D type setting I'll just go on YouTube.  Comic relief is cool, just don't over do it.

5 people like this

I doubt a D&D movie will rise above "mediocre."

That said, under no circumstances should it show a city surrounded by anything but fields.  Those people gotta eat.  It's such an obvious thing, yet no one gets it right.  It annoys me about as much as sound effects in space.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Loim said:

It should not include terrible unrealistic weapons. Yeah we all love giant swords covered in jools, but seriously just make it look real. 

^ This. Those terribly fake looking weapons in the first movie really bothered me.

4 people like this

100% agree with everything everybody already said. It also doesn't need to stuff in as many fantasy monsters and tropes as possible. Focus on a limited story with a sensible background and monsters that fit that story. I know that's D&D but I always thought the small dungeon with 50 different sentient species living in it was odd.

6 people like this

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Any of the Wayans brothers.

On a related note, it should absolutely have no Jar jar Binks-like character whose sole purpose in the movie is to be comic relief. Believe me, I don't feel relieved when such characters are on the screen.

6 people like this

A bad cast

A bad director

A terrible script

Plot points or dialog based on game mechanics

Insulting, ham-fisted attempts at gamer culture

Anything to do with previous D&D efforts in mass-media.

I think my optimism for this movie may be showing through. ::P:

4 people like this

<Face Palm>   So...they have the same guy producing it as last time.  Yeah, that doesn't bode well.

The guy who did the one based off The Book of Vile Darkness? Oh geez I hope not. That one was terrible. It barely even had the entertaining factor that the original cheesy one did. 

What should a D&D movie NOT have? 

The others have pretty much covered it. I'd vote for no extremely odd monsters except for comedic purposes. So no erm.... ettercaps, for instance. But I'm cool with gelatinous cubes. I don't want to have to explain every monster to non-D&D people. 

4 people like this

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Chainmail or other armored bikinis

I'll say they can go ahead and do this if they play up the "magic force-fields make it okay" aspect.  I've played and run many games where the wizards and clerics casually attained AC scores that the fighters could only dream of.  I'm cool with physical weapon strikes against someone being turned aside in a shower of golden sparks if someone gets most of their AC from magic rings, deflection spells, and the stunning force of their Charisma.

If you don't need to wear plate armor to get equivalent or better protection, why would you?  There should totally be some character with outlandish (un)dress or mannerisms and an attitude of "I am near-invulnerable to swords and can set people on fire with my mind; I will wear what I want."

Adventurers aren't average joes; they're super heroes, rock stars, and professional athletes.  Sure, some of them can actually be good role models, but you're definitely going to get more than a few Dennis Rodmans, Axel Roses, and Russel Crowes in the mix.  This is especially likely in D&D land where you are one of a countable number of people that can bind demons or raise the dead or whatever.  There's a lot of behavior people will just have to put up with if you're the only one in the region that can punch a dragon in half.

8 people like this