TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

850 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

In light of the event today:

August 1: Do you plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

Yes I do.  I'll grab two core sets and then pretty much anything else that interests me.  I figure the upper limit of the war chest will be about $1000.

The Egg

8 people like this

Sigh, probably. I have a problem ok? As little as the devil on my shoulder convinces me I can get away with

7 people like this

August 1: Do you plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

Definitely will be backing.  The current strategy is to get everything that I am interested in, but some things will probably be acquired in the PM.  I currently have permission to spend, but no limit is set.

8 people like this

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

14 people like this

Yes. Pledging for core, Baba Yaga's house, expansions that are Chronoscope based (Especially Cthulhu or SteamPunk), and Mouselings. 

7 people like this

Yes.. mostly for bigger things that don't translate well to metal.  A lot of the smaller B3 figures I got were released in metal and the detail on the bones version was really disappointing.  I'm doubtful that I'll drop as much as I did on B3 ($600) but I didn't think I'd spend that last time either.

5 people like this

I do not plan on backing. Things may change, but as of right now that's where I am. I already have 37 grillion Bones minis at this point, and to be honest I'm less and less inclined toward Bones as a material. It's wonderful for two things: Cheap gaming minis and Really Large sculpts.

I have no real need of gaming minis at this point, and it becomes less and less likely as time passes that I will.

Really Large sculpts are fantastic, but storage is problematic for me at the moment. 

I imagine there will be some sculpts that I will want to pick up eventually, but I'll do so at retail most likely. 

8 people like this

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes. I do plan to back Bones IV.

This time around, I actually plan to skip the core set. I am certain that it will have cool stuff that I want, but I already have hundreds of random monsters and adventurers from Bones I, II, and III, most of them unpainted.

This time around, I plan to be a bit more selective on things I want specifically in Bones (especially larger monsters), and a few core set elements, that I gots ta' have. If the previous campaigns are any guide, a lot of the things I am skipping can wait until retail, or even be picked up in metal, at a later date.

9 people like this

No I don't.

I went in quite heavily on the first one, with the idea being I'd have all these cheap minis to practice painting skills on, only problem was:-

1. I don't particularly like the material,

2a. I can't practice paint, if I'm not interested enough in the mini to do my best possible job, then I probably won't finish it,

2b. Turns out I'm not actually that interested in improving my painting skills, I'm happy just colouring my minis in,

3. Getting that many minis at once gives me serious decision paralysis, and I end up painting nothing because I can't choose a mini to work on.

I'll still keep an eye on what new goodies the campaign unleashes, and anything super interesting I'll pick up retail.

11 people like this

I do plan to back. As for my plan/goal/strategy/etc. Hmmm, part of that will depend on how long it is open (sounds like over a month) and what all is included in the Core set (not interested in the chibi figs for instance). That said, I hope to be able to at least pledge for the Core Set and then take advantage of their long pledge manager to slowly add on sets from there. I know that this isn't ideal, but unfortunately I just back Dwarven Forge which also took a lot of my spare cash.

5 people like this

Yes. I have no plan. I'm doomed. I am interested in some of the big ones, not all. I have a lot of small stuff to paint now, but want more cheap (per figure) for various practice pieces and for my boyfriend to learn on. If he wants some he will probably help back this for more. 

6 people like this

I am a bit of a bear about Kickstarters. I do want to back my chums... but there needs to be a product involved in which I am interested.

At this point in space and time, I'm in for a lowball bid, plus whatever Baba Yaga's cottage costs.

This may change. Bones III was the first one where I didn't get the core set, but instead lowballed and cherrypicked what I wanted out of the add ons and stretch goals. Given my lack of information at this point, perhaps I'd be better off reanswering this question in an hour or so.

9 people like this

Yes.  My initial bid will be in the $50 range... whatever that ends up morphing into.  Probably not a core set.  Ultimately, I'm looking for one item.  What is the best single item in this Kickstarter for me!  This will keep me looking forward to reveals and probably involved in the comments.  Don't get me wrong.  I would love to post up with a $500 bid right off the bat and then wander off into never-never land adding more as things caught my interest.  But, that's not going to be how it goes this year.  Now, if the pledge manager stays open and I can add more funds in January or later, this number will ramp up and I'll have the Core and other large items.  If not, no big deal, I'll buy metal minis instead.  

I guess if there ended up being a Sabretooth cat the size of a Thanator on Pandora, I would have great difficulty resisting that these days.  Otherwise I am open and will be weighing options until the closing bell rings.  Mostly I'm looking for larger items.  Giants, Dragons and their Ilk and Kind.

10 people like this

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes! I'm not really sure we have anything in place in terms of goal/strategy/rules currently. We should probably figure that out pretty quickly though.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes, I'll back. No plans on what except for Baba Yaga's hut. It's a perfect fantasy support addition to my medieval russian army. I'll just wait and see what catches my eye and ask the kids what they like. Keep trying to get them to paint more. Not sure about spending limits. Probably $200 but if there are things I really want I'm flexible and actually have a plus amount in the bank.

8 people like this