TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

598 posts in this topic

Storage, and a sort of acquisitive reflex.

Kickstarters are BAD for me. And yet, I keep doing them...

10 people like this

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 10: What do struggle with the most, hobby-wise? (Can be a top 3 or 5 list if you like.)

1. Motivation
  2. Storage/Display space
  3. Learning new techniques
4 people like this

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 10: What do struggle with the most, hobby-wise? (Can be a top 3 or 5 list if you like.)

Recently?  Time.  Working overtime means less painting time.

Before that?  Fear.  I'm still trying to figure out blending for highlights/shadows, especially for skin.  I've been putting off working on Seoni because I'm afraid I'm not doing a good job (or can even a decent job). I took a break to do some BattleTech minis to basic tabletop quality but I'm still not sure I'm ready to go back to working on her yet.

5 people like this

Having the time to do anything hobby related,

5 people like this

3 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Recently?  Time.  Working overtime means less painting time.

Before that?  Fear.  I'm still trying to figure out blending for highlights/shadows, especially for skin.  I've been putting off working on Seoni because I'm afraid I'm not doing a good job (or can even a decent job). I took a break to do some BattleTech minis to basic tabletop quality but I'm still not sure I'm ready to go back to working on her yet.

Get cheap bones models to practice on. There's a few nekkid girls to practice skin tones on. For me, knowing how cheap the bones are makes me less afraid to ruin them.

10 people like this

15 hours ago, Grayfax said:

I worked with a guy that had zero color perception.  He saw everything in grayscale.  To him, modern movies looked like crap.  He much preferred older movies because the attention to contrast was much greater and made for a more enjoyable experience for him.  He could still punch down network cables though... because he learned to adapt.  

Do it the way you like it.  If it is different than other people's, some may like and some may not.  At the end of the day, we all see the world a little differently.  Enjoy how you see it.  

Think how much money you would save in paint.  Black and White, done.  I bet one would be able to do some killer grayscale minis.

8 people like this

Weekend Quest: Make a mess doing something constructive/fun.  Show us the results.

7 people like this

4 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend Quest: Make a mess doing something constructive/fun.  Show us the results.

Packing?

6 people like this

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Family friendly board.  Will not post pics. :devil:

11 people like this

The local con is tomorrow.  Unfortunately they went with a small venue and haven't done a good job of advertising how to sign up for events.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

The local con is tomorrow.  Unfortunately they went with a small venue and haven't done a good job of advertising how to sign up for events.

At good old Anglo Saxon University?  Sorry... my brother got his undergrad there and after visiting once it was what I always called it.  I hope there is more diversity now.  Mostly I remember an old beat up mexican food restaurant that had fabulous fajitas from my visit, but, that was a long time ago, a long time indeed.

Edited by Grayfax
2 people like this

I'm headed to an antique gun and knife show on the morrow, but I also get my Stynylrez primer in the mail today. I plan on playing with it on Bones. I will post pictures of the ensuing mess. 

I also get to play with my new airbrush, so I plan on getting a head jump start plan thingie on some Christmas decorations. And maybe some Halloween stockings. I will post pictures. 

4 people like this

50 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

This is one I might actually be able to complete.

4 people like this

On 8/10/2017 at 8:04 AM, TaleSpinner said:

1. Brush Control

2. Brush Control

3. Brush Control

4. Paint Consistency

5. Brush Control

6. Color Theory

7. Brush Control

5 people like this

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Does it count if things are already a mess when you start?

5 people like this