Kate

Ma'aldrakar 7 day challenge

My condolences on you losing your sanity (or about to lose it). It was a pleasure knowing it.

Also :winkthumbs: You go girl!

• Like 9

Yay another victim . . . errrr challenger!  Go go go go, You can do eeeet!

• Like 5

This can be done... Focus Focus Focus ... Squirrel!   

Ooops .... your sanity just left the room!

• Like 8

Grey liner on the base and the heads & legs glued to Ma'al. 5981250aa65f5_day1basecoat.JPG.f221ad5837d68c6bfa6525b264c13fd3.JPG

I think I needed to scrub the recessed areas a bit better but overall the paint is going on well. 

• Like 16

Welcome to the madness! :bday: 

Good progress so far! :D Will you be fully assembling before painting, or only partially? Also, do you have a color scheme figured out, or are you winging it?

I'm excited to see how yours turns out! ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

I haven't quite decided on the assembly. So far I can get to everything. I am afraid that if I put the other necks on it might get hard to hold, but I will see tomorrow. I sort of have a paint scheme. I want to change the black to a purple and the white to yellow so it is closer to the color spectrum. I am not sure I can do the yellow though - it will likely be white shaded with yellow.

1 hour ago, robinh said:

This can be done... Focus Focus Focus ... Squirrel!   

Ooops .... your sanity just left the room!

Totally this! 

• Like 10

Done for the night. I dry brushed the bases with Bones Mountain Stone, Highland Moss, Redstone, and Stone Grey. 59814686af63a_day1drybrushshortbasefront.JPG.eb3bc3833740fcb259130458179b38a1.JPG5981468718eaa_day1drybrushtallbaseback.JPG.86164cd7e6452e31ed918b0ca075e7df.JPG598146876596d_day1drybrushtallbasefront.JPG.a5b894b53c970c29eb697105e55704ab.JPG

This is not how my painting table normally looks. I had to clean out the room for my sister's visit. I have confidence it will soon return to cluttered chaos. It is a six foot table so I am still able to slide everything out of the frame.

• Like 18

GO KATE!!!!

You can doooo eeettttt!!!

Don't worry about insanity, we got your back!

*** Whispers to WOOF Medic, stand by, keep that sedative ready!!!***

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Kate said:

I want to change the black to a purple and the white to yellow so it is closer to the color spectrum. I am not sure I can do the yellow though - it will likely be white shaded with yellow.

I would recommend for the purple that you undercoat in a blue (liner pref), it will help to keep the purple looking purple and can be used as a base shadow color. 

For the yellow, I would recommend an orange basecoat if you want a deep yellow or a flesh/bone that leans towards yellow for a brighter yellow. If you don't basecoat in a higher pigment color, the yellow will take several layers to read.... especially over the liner priming.

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with The Great Kaladrax Painting Challenge, initiated by buglips*the*goblin, here's a link to his thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip

Feel free to boggle at the insanity of it for a bit, I'll wait.
      All done? Okay, so, being not entirely sane myself, I've decided to give it a go. I will be following the same rules buglips followed in his challenge, namely:

1) No using a brush larger than a standard Size 0 (no getting around it by using, say, a size 0 brush meant for house painting, for example)
      2) I will work on Kaladrax for no more than 168 consecutive hours (7 full days)
      3) The only prep time allowed before the timer starts is boiling and cleaning to remove casting residue. Removing (or not) mold lines is part of the challenge!
      4) When I begin, I will post a picture of Kaladrax with my phone displaying the date and time (I don't get the newspaper)

...That's it, really. Pretty simple. I will endeavor to make semi-regular updates, but when I get deep into PaintingLand, I can lose track of time. I will, however, be very good about taking awful WIP pictures as I go, then at least doing a batch picture post each day. I've timed this so Mr. Boot is gone at a work conference about half of the 7 days, so I will have a little more free time than usual.

So! Feel free to come along for the ride. I can't promise to be on here super often (or maybe I will be, who knows), but I can promise that the trip will at least be entertaining.

If you'd rather just skip to the end, here's my official completion post with pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68762-oneboot-is-crazy-too-kaladrax-in-7-days-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1371410
      Final show-off pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69015-kaladrax-reborn-in-7-days-by-oneboot/

Note: Unless otherwise specified, all of the paints used are Reaper brand paints.

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to the Kaladrax thread that started it all:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip .

For this Challenge, I will be painting up Ma'al Drakar in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0. 

The rules are posted below:

I will be starting my Challenge at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 2nd 2017 (link here).
      EDIT: If you want to skip all of the talky stuff, here's the link to my completion picture.
      EDIT: And here's the link to the final entry pictures.

Let the insanity begin!!!  

Huzzah!
  • Who's Online   34 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)