70 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I have some clear plastic Christmas ornaments that I am going to make little scenes and put the Mystic Warrior children from Hasslefree in for my grandkids for Christmas.
So I went from painting big ol' Marthrangul to little bitty kids. (I had a dwarf mage painted in between.)
So today was my paint day with a friend. I snipped them off their bars and used my friend's jeweler's drill to drill tiny little holes in their feet for pins. Their feet and legs are so tiny, my usual pinning equipment was too large. I cleaned up all their flash and mold lines, washed them, and then primed.
I did their skin and faces. My grandbabies have darker complexions and I want their little Jedis to resemble them so I went with a darker skintone. I used critique from my last mini (dwarf mage) to put more contrast in the skin. I did a base, shade, and highlight and then did half steps in between for smoother blend transitions.
These are the tiniest eyes I have ever painted. They are not perfect but they aren't bad and I am leaving them alone because I was happy to not blob paint all over their faces!
I plan on doing the "Leia" figure in white robes. Not sure how I plan on doing the shading yet - blue, cream, grey, a little mix of surrounding environment colors. We'll see. She will have a blue "lightsaber".
The other two are for the twins so I plan on brown padawan robes for them. He will have a purple "lightsaber" and hers will be green.
Their hair was basecoated in P3 Umbral Umber and shaded with a mix of Umbral Umber and Reaper's Nightshade Purple. I have not begun to highlight the hair yet.
I need to try out a few browns and find one that does not too closely match their skin color.
Here's some photos I took tonight.
Here are some "large" pictures of my entry for the Facebook Paint Your Dragon Reaper Group Painting Contest. I slightly modified the pose of this first edition 10012, Kaladrax so that it looks like he's pointing its left arm finger at an enemy or direction. I also converted the bones of the right hand and added a Wand of Orcus in his closed fist. The Wand of Orcus comes from Reaper's 10005, The Court of Abyst boxed set.
On the base, I used natural rocks, Army Painter Wasteland Tuft and natural dry lichen as tumbleweed. I also used Milliput putty to build the dunes before covering them with sand and crackle paste to create dry soil. Kaladrax the Dire Drake was sculpted by Jim Johnson. Comments and critiques are always very welcome.
After painting the dragon for the Paint Your Dragon Contest, I needed a "palette cleanser" before starting on the Jedi children minis for my grandkids' Christmas ornaments. They are even tinier than the dwarf so it was good for me to practice on a little mini again. Her eyes, especially her right one gave me fits. Other than that eye, I am pretty happy with her and she is just for play anyway.
I tried to really push my highlights on her. I think I am usually too conservative. This time, I may have overdone it but I like her and she was for practice so she'll stay this way most likely. I did a wash on her hair but it really knocked the highlights down so I re=highlighted.
Also, I realize once I saw the photos, she has a tiny bit of flock stuck to the front of her. I have tweezed that off but did not retake the photos as it didn't make that big of difference.
Any C&C is appreciated.
I didn't need a dracolisk, but I am always looking for small dragons to use in games.
I bought this guy retail with the idea of cutting off his middle legs and re-sculpting him, in fact I lost track of the fact that I had one and bought a second.
One leg was unattached to I cut down the area around the socket and filled it with greenstuff. The other leg I cut off completely and cut down the plastic then cut the scale pattern in. Cutting down was harder than sculpting up. I was prepping the dragon for the "Paint Your Dragon Contest" so I have no pictures of the process. The base is removable, as I had planned for more elaborate detail.
I hadn't quite got him to done, but was throwing a layer of sealer over him so I didn't have to worry as much about handling, and I frosted him badly.
Adding a layer of brush on gloss sealer helped, but the non-gloss sealer I tried did nothing, resulting in more weird patches.
despondent I moved on to other miniatures including another dragon, who was way more fun to paint (Insomnia, for the random rainbow challenge)
I retouched his wings, darkening them which made him look more like a black dragon, rather than grey. and left the high gloss, cause why not. The wing veins also never quite worked out. So downplaying them was a plus.
After lots of bugging from minispawn, I declared him done, and turned him over for her to play with. She named him Patches. yeah that fits.
before frosting and glossing :
Who's Online 15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)