Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zink

Some of my first minis

11 posts in this topic

While pawing through boxes of old minis for @Mad Jack I found some of the first minis I painted several ages ago. Seeing as how there are often people on here posting their first minis somewhat shyly and looking as good as most of what I do after 30 years of practice I thought I'd show what poor painting was. These are old Grenadier models. I was 13 and using the Testors paints that so many of us used in the 80s. The last two were painted a couple of years later when we'd switched to the first Citadel paints which are still made by Coat d'arms now.

IMG_5261.JPG

19 people like this

Cool!

There is a thread where we show our first efforts and than our latest work to see how much we've improved.

If I can find it, I will link it here..

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Cool!

There is a thread where we show our first efforts and than our latest work to see how much we've improved.

If I can find it, I will link it here..

Oh that might be fun!

3 people like this

Nice!  Old lead gets my attention every time.  I still have that helmeted skeleton in the middle somewhere too I think.  Probably also wearing Testors enamels!  :)  I remember when my suburban hobby shop (which was amazing for us to have in a small neighbourhood like ours, it was some parents of kids about my age that opened it and kept it going not so much to make money but mostly for the sake of the neighbourhood kids) got in the first batch of Citadel "Creature" paint sets too, my first acrylics, no more paint thinner cleanup - I remember the box cover had a painting of a monster kicking back at his paint desk painting a mini, lol, that stuff was a life changer for me back then.  Wish I'd known not to keep them open and be dipping directly into the pots, some of which dried out a lot before I got too many figs done.  Enamels never dried out so quick, and there was no www to learn from so how were we to know?  The public library?  Believe me, we would have found any books on painting minis if they were there.  :)  Thanks for the memories!

Kang

5 people like this

nice job, i always like the old minis

2 people like this

I'll have to dig out some other minis from through the years to show my progression on the other thread. Because I mostly did largish armies my normal effort isn't all that spectacular but I've got a few things that are better. They don't compare to some of the work around here bu still nice enough to be proud of.

2 people like this

They look like some of my early work.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, korimar said:

They look like some of my early work.

And mine!

1 person likes this

haha i'm in the club, too.  someday i'm gonna find an old box full of testors paints and lead minis, and it'll be glorious.

2 people like this

Not too shabby!

You've got some pretty neat old figures there.