• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      So at the same time I was working on my female hill giant, I was also working on two centaurs that the great Julie Guthrie had sculpted around 1982. I did them at the same time because I was looking for the same flesh tones because both I figured spend tons of time outside so should be very tan. 

Anyhow, an advanced warning and a link because the female centaur is showing off her mammal parts, so here's a link to her front:

Female Centaur front

and from the other side:

As well as her male companion, who is chasing her around it seems like:

Anyway a flash back into the past.  These centaurs weren't actually available too long either, being replaced by other figures under their same code.  I was told that if a set or figure didn't sell at least 200 pieces, they would get retired, so I imagine this might have been their fate back then which is a pity because they are really beautiful minis.

And I've had both of these since the eighties, but finally got around to painting them, so hope you enjoy! It's never too late to paint a mini!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello Everybody,

so partially inspired by a post Master Buglips did a year ago that I can't help but keep looking back to, and partially inspired by the fact that this is a figure I've always wanted to get around to painting since I first saw it in the latter seventies/early eighties, I've finally taken the plunge and splattered some paint on this excellent figure sculpted by Julie Guthrie.  Unpainted, her face seems to be a little bit surreal, but once you actually get some paint on her, her face becomes both brutal and beautiful at the same time. 

As in everything, these pictures let me see tons of imperfections, but if you look at it with your bare eyeballs, or even close up with some magnification goggles, you don't really notice certain things.  

I really love this figure, and started with her skin as a base of Tanned Shadow, and then went down and up from there.  Tried to keep her firmly tied into earth tones, but had to do something with the jewels, but tried to make them "nature related" by keeping them green.  

For a giant nowadays, she's pretty small, but if you put her up against any Partha piece of your time, she fits in quite nicely.  I now have a painted giant collection that has reached the grand old amount of seven, three Meier Frost Giants, two Meier Hill Giants, a Meier Cloud Giant, and this Julie Guthrie gem, who is the smallest and squattest of them all (except if you hunt down the Tom Meier Fire Giant, who is probably just about the same size as a 21st century man-sized figure).

• By Guindyloo
      I figured I should put up a Show Off thread for this since I haven't seen any other fully painted versions anywhere. This is the resin Maiden Bust that was offered as an exclusive at Reapercon last year, sculpted by the wonderful Julie Guthrie. @buglips*the*goblin bought her for me before I even knew she existed because, just between you and me, he's actually a sweetheart.
      After painting her skin, I realized she bore a striking resemblance to Tori Amos, so I had to make her a redhead.

Pictures aren't the best, my harsh lighting is blowing out the contrast, I ran an Auto Fix through editing software to cut back some of the glare, but I didn't want to mess with them too much. Also my Kimera Kolors box was obviously not the best backdrop, but photography just isn't my hobby, sorry. I hope y'all like her anyway.
    • By Pingo
      This is 03415, Lanura Windsong, Elf Sorcerer, sculpted by Julie Guthrie.

She's an appealing sculpt -- and popular, judging from all the painted versions in the store and the Inspiration Gallery. I picked her up years ago after seeing someone's lovely version on these forums, and now I've gotten round to her.

She has high boots and a long coat and a cute scarf over short tousled curls. I think of her as a sort of corsair or pirate, maybe, with lots of wands and things. I am looking forward to painting all those spheres on her like colored crystal.

I have been trying to limit the number of female minis I paint with bare midriffs, but she's just so dang cute!

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics, except where noted. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I started laying in her skin tone with the darks pure Burnt Umber and the lights a golden-bronze mix of Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, and a little Titanium White. I also am spending some time on each pass tucking paint into all the tiny white dots where the paint failed to get into a nook or cranny.

I don't normally paint much with pure black, but here I used some Carbon Black to color her hair and as a wash to lay in a few darker shadows on her and start to contour her face and eye sockets.

Then I picked up some more highlights with the golden-bronze again, and a little more pure black shading.

And then look, it's a face! Her sclerae are a pale grey mixed from Titanium White and a little Carbon Black. Her pupils are pure Carbon Black, highlights are pure Titanium White. Lips a base of Red Iron Oxide shaded with Burnt Umber and Quinacridone Magenta. Some more contouring with the bronze and Umber shadows and Bob's your uncle.

• By Patrik Strom
      When I first got the Naga from the Bones kickstarter I wasn't that excited. It looked ok at a glance but I didn't think I needed a naga at the time. Eventually I thought I try to extend my scenery collection and try to paint it as a statue. When I did and looked a bit closer at the mini I realized that it's a really cool sculpt! I still choose to go the statue route but I might just have to buy a new one and make a real one. I was also pleasantly surprised on how some superglue + the foam from the blister pack that some miniatures come with + Army Painter greenskin created some decent looking vegetation.

• Who's Online   46 Members, 0 Anonymous, 91 Guests (See full list)