3 hours ago, Nunae said:

I also got a 20 Euros gift card for our local GW, any idea what to get from them? I guess if I like their brushes I can get another one. 

I've heard good things about their holder for painting minis but I haven't been able to get my hands on one as they're in high demand due to people buying multiples.

And we're not talking buying 2 or 3 but rather 8-10. :blink:

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I've heard good things about their holder for painting minis but I haven't been able to get my hands on one as they're in high demand due to people buying multiples.

Me too!  Though I haven't actually looked too hard.  My FLGS down't carry them.  Though I do have a game at the comic store next Friday that does carry GW products so maybe I'll find some there.

• Like 3

I just got one of the Rath grips for Christmas from my bf, and collected an elf ton of corks over the holidays.

Their washes are what they call shades?

Do any of you have experiences with their texture paints? They are supposed to crackle and make different kinds of earth for bases, which sounds kinda interesting.

Also, all the colors in my beginner sets are at most half way full, with the white only being trace elements of color left in the pot. They look full from the outside though, with color being smeared evenly at the plastic.

• Like 3

Well, Footsore has a new game coming out called Gangs of Rome, and I just preordered one of the deals.  I'm getting enough for two people to play, which is another way of saying that I plan on forcing, er, getting a few people in my FLGS to try it out.

• Like 5

On 1/6/2018 at 4:41 AM, Gadgetman! said:

Check the minis that came with the order that got the 'extra' weapon sprues. 

I'm betting that one or more of them is supposed to have those weapons...   

The ones that did all had what  they needed.  These and the little cowboy appear to be extras.

• Like 6

I won Ebay auctions for the Knight Models Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy sets, at roughly original price, instead of hideously high. Okay, not cheap, but now I can paint them for my best friend who is a Marvel fanatic! He cosplays Cap'n and Thor and Groot, and was the recipient of my rainbow fairy - he likes painted gifts ::D: 

• Like 11

On 2018-01-05 at 6:23 PM, eldamir said:

I received an email from hasslefree today indicating that my kickstarter order is ready...

But more germane to this conversation is that they are offering to combine past backed-up orders and refund the shipping.

I get the feeling again and again that hasslefree has outgrown their staff and facilities but hasn't acknowledged the problem yet.. 

It's coming up to 3 days since I sent an email to Hasslefree expressing concern of the length of time it's taking my Halloween orders to reach me.

I'm just asking for information like the date they actually sent my order out, to confirm they sent all three orders out as one, and if they had any tracking info they could provide.

Still waiting for a reply.

• Like 3

Well with the up in air what size weretiger hybrids are in 5e, I bought a Massive Darkness weretiger single off ebay the other morning while I was on break. Totally spaced that MD is a CMoN product.....sigh. Oh well supporting the person that bought from CMoN so I guess it's not too bad. Thou this will be my last item I buy that has their name attached to it.

Oddly the single figure was cheaper via a French seller then US sellers. Now we get to see what shows up first, the mini or a Shipping confirmation email from CMoN. <_<

Also I cancelled a order that I had with a model company from Spain due to lengthly delay in getting a item back in stock. They totally understood. Hey at least they kept me in the loop every 2 weeks on the status of the missing item. I refunded my paypal payment so I turned it around & picked up the following:

Freebooter zombie octopus pack of 6 (I'm gonna try & turn 2 of them into normal ones)

Pathfinder prepaints: 6 Grindylows (basically blue sea goblins)

Nolzur's:

Phase Spider

Dragonborn male paladin & figher

Dragonborn female paladin

Displacer Beast

Dwarf male paladin (the one with the double flags on his back)

Deep Cuts:

Silver Dragon

half-orc female barbarian

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

It's coming up to 3 days since I sent an email to Hasslefree expressing concern of the length of time it's taking my Halloween orders to reach me.

I'm just asking for information like the date they actually sent my order out, to confirm they sent all three orders out as one, and if they had any tracking info they could provide.

Still waiting for a reply.

They shipped mine on the 11th of November and then it got lost in transit. They've been sporadically great with communication since then, but sometimes terrible. Even if stuff arrives they do not deserve their namesake imo. Still don't have my Halloween order. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/7/2018 at 4:15 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

Yea, I put in an order over at The War Store for 3 of them back in mid-November. They still haven't shipped. I haven't sent an email yet, because it's one of their distributor-controlled items that they get in on a per-order basis. So I'm assuming that they can't even get them right now at all.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:50 PM, Nunae said:

Also, all the colors in my beginner sets are at most half way full, with the white only being trace elements of color left in the pot. They look full from the outside though, with color being smeared evenly at the plastic.

Yea, the GW pots are horrible in general and the mini-pots in the starter sets are the worst. If you take them back to GW, they may actually give you new ones since customer service regarding replacements is usually considered one of GW's stronger points.

My acquisitions of late are my Legendary Showdown: Presidential Edition kickstarter. It included the aforementioned game, the kickstarter exclusive NSFW expansion for it, the Influential Women expansion, a copy of Legendary Showdown: Machines and Magic, the kickstarter exclusive cards for it that were part of its original kickstarter, and the Presidential Edition magnet set.

The magnets are awesome! I currently have Teddy Roosevelt and George Washington squaring off for a gentlemanly saber duel, Obama and Van Buren seeing who has the strongest Kung Fu, Lincoln going axe-crazy on Truman, Darth Reagan preparing to deflect a blast from Iron Trump, and Grant and Jackson perfectly countering each other Mortal Kombat style.20180111_012525.thumb.jpg.843b7c7b604024ac7d21d97b03f99fcc.jpg

I also acquired a copy of a book on woodworking - The Complete Dovetail: Handmade Furniture'Furniture's Signature Joint. It's super in-depth, and daunting. Makes me realize just how much goes into woodworking that I completely didn't know about.

Edit: huh. Apparently the "NSFW" expansion for the Presidential Edition is just a bunch of Trump jokes and one Hillary Joke. Not what I'd call NSFW. And, despite my political leanings finding both of those two to be less than stellar, pretty lame in general. Except for the Putin card. I like the Putin card. Because it mentions his immense skill at shirtless horse riding.

I would have expected jokes about presidential sex lives or something. Like a "Celebrity Birthday Song" card that had a Marilyn Monroe looking character popping out of a cake. Or "Official Orator" that had a woman in a stained blue dress. That kind of thing. And "Didn't Inhale" with a bunch of smoke rising from above the back of a plush chair...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10

So my mother is going to sale the family home within the next two years, so she's gradually getting rid of a lot of stuff. Part of it is my late father's extensive book collection (Dad was like House Figmentius with respect to books, I'm talking about over a dozen bookcases filled with two rows). Since she knows there are a lot of valuable documents in there, she asked us kids (myself, my brother and sister) to go through it and choose what we want to keep.

My dad's tastes were extensive. If a subject piqued his interest, he would buy a series of books on it. Also, since he grew up with what we called the "Classic Course" of education in a seminary, he had a large collection of religious writings (particularly those of Saint Augustine) and classics of literature. Since he had a PhD in hydro-geology (and earth sciences overall) and a university teacher, there were a lot of science text books. It made for an interesting treasure hunt.

So within the same room, I could find the writings of Pascal, the history of democracy, a biography of Ru Paul, the microbiology of soil, Hitler's Mein Kampf (in German Gothic script), travel diary of a Saint, and the (all text, no pictures) Kama Sutra. Books/dictionaries on how to learn Chinese, Japanese, Arabian, Persian, Portuguese, Armenian, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German.

Back to me. After going through about half of the whole collection, here's what I took out of it (and I'm forgetting some):

• Complete works of Charles Dickens
  • Greek Myths
  • Canterbury Tales
  • Arabian Nights
  • Persian Book of Kings
  • La Chanson de Roland
  • Beowulf
  • The Divine Comedy
  • Bhagavad Gita
  • Aesop's fables
  • La Fontaine's fables
  • Catcher in the Rye
  • Huckleberry Finn
  • The Iliad (I think I already have a copy)
  • Homer's Odyssey (also may already have a copy)
  • Several art/reference books
  • Several myth/legends books
  • Several foreign language/philosophy books

It was kind of freaky sometimes finding books where my dad and I were both interested in without me ever realizing it (apple not falling far from the tree). I skipped on a lot of poets and authors as I'm not a particular fan of them (Jack Kerouac, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Marcel Proust, Albert Camus), probably because they remind me too much of mandatory reading in high school, and skipped on several I already own (i.e. Gulliver's Travels), or can't read (Don Quixote in original Spanish).

• Like 11

As a way of spuring myself to paint faster, I wandered over to Noble Knight and adopted the following.

GW Dwarf Warriors Regiment Box 2010 ed (16 for the same price as 10 of the new ones! Will bulk out the Army of Maxwell House in the same style as the existing units and GW sprues tend to have interesting bits as well.)

Witch, by Iron Wind Metals ( She's holding a pumpkin!)

Witch Hunters by Westwind (4 more to reinforce the currant warband.)

Dwarf Siege Bombard by Alternative Armies (not sure is these guys are 25s or 28s, but either way they'll work as Dunkin Donuts Dwarves.)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Dwarf Siege Bombard by Alternative Armies (not sure is these guys are 25s or 28s, but either way they'll work as Dunkin Donuts Dwarves.)

I'm surprised you don't have any Dwarves from the McDonalds clan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bought both starter sets for Beyond the Gates of Antares today, the smaller one at 50% off and the larger at 70% off.

Looks like I've gotten into another game...

• Like 7