Order some brushes and they came in today. Got talked into trying some bomb wick brushes from slow fuse gaming. So far  they're horrible. Many stray hairs and they don't hold a point after a single stroke or two. Contacted the owner to see what he says though. 

IMG_20180228_181114699.jpg

Edited by rfusca
  • Sad 7

Rosemary & Co series 33 brushes from Beagle land

never a bad brush yet.....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It says right on the label to use gloves (and the directions, it's step one!), if I remember correctly... But the other main recommendation is Apoxie makes a huuuuuge mess along whatever it touches, so unless you want to clean the slick residue it can leave behind off of your hands on a regular basis... 

Maybe in strange but for me Apoxie washes right off with soap and water.  No residue or little green permanent lines and blobs stuck in my fingernails (yes I'm looking at you greenstuff:grr:

One of the problems I have with it is that I have to use was or oil based lubricant for it.  Water causes the Apoxie to become softer and can flow where you don't want it to until it hardens.

As for GS I don't refrigerate mine and it lasts about 18 months... at which point it's consumed and I need more.  In have never had any go bad on me

Just saying, your experience may differ from common opinion

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Rosemary & Co series 33 brushes from Beagle land

never a bad brush yet.....

Those are my favorites. Love em. I did have one bad brush but they promptly replaced.  But I'd love to support somebody closer to home and shipping be less. But I severely doubt that will be the case now. 

Edited by rfusca
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Maybe in strange but for me Apoxie washes right off with soap and water.  No residue or little green permanent lines and blobs stuck in my fingernails (yes I'm looking at you greenstuff:grr:

One of the problems I have with it is that I have to use was or oil based lubricant for it.  Water causes the Apoxie to become softer and can flow where you don't want it to until it hardens.

As for GS I don't refrigerate mine and it lasts about 18 months... at which point it's consumed and I need more.  In have never had any go bad on me

Just saying, your experience may differ from common opinion

Oh, I'm going by the experience other people have when it comes to Apoxie Sculpt.  Definitely have to agree about greenstuff though, gawds, that's annoying - took almost a full week to get the last little bits of blue gunk out from under fingernails o_O

Either way, I've found a company that sells it (sadly, out of Ontario, so it's ages away) and hopefully the shipping isn't too terribly expensive since they use UPS >.<;;;

9 minutes ago, rfusca said:

Those are my favorites. Love em. I did have one bad brush but they promptly replaced.  But I'd love to support somebody closer to home and shipping be less. But I severely doubt that will be the case now. 

Kind of wish it was easier to find the flats on their site.  Yes, I know, most people prefer to use cheap, disposable brushes for drybrushing, but....  I like somewhat nicer ones for such, even if they wear moderately quickly.... It's nice to have that "nice" feel to them.

• Like 1

On Facebook, Roman Lappat from Massive Voodoo was clearing out some minis and offered free mouslings to whoever piped up first. Guess who got them!

20180228_211927.thumb.jpg.d4b86d6cdcaf4e483b77b3afc54ed4db.jpg

Inside was one of his own illustrations, which I love. Got the Mousling Sorcerer + Samurai . Also got another figure. If all goes well, I have.........plans. :ph34r:

20180228_211946.thumb.jpg.4ae0fd87ee6550d9a93edffe964efe7f.jpg

It's like he knows me! ::D:

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 15

28 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh, I'm going by the experience other people have when it comes to Apoxie Sculpt.  Definitely have to agree about greenstuff though, gawds, that's annoying - took almost a full week to get the last little bits of blue gunk out from under fingernails o_O

Either way, I've found a company that sells it (sadly, out of Ontario, so it's ages away) and hopefully the shipping isn't too terribly expensive since they use UPS >.<;;;

Kind of wish it was easier to find the flats on their site.  Yes, I know, most people prefer to use cheap, disposable brushes for drybrushing, but....  I like somewhat nicer ones for such, even if they wear moderately quickly.... It's nice to have that "nice" feel to them.

.. I got my drybrushes from Micromark. Can't speak for their usual quality, but I haven't needed to replace 'em yet. They're pretty foofy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rfusca said:

Order some brushes and they came in today. Got talked into trying some bomb wick brushes from slow fuse gaming. So far  they're horrible. Many stray hairs and they don't hold a point after a single stroke or two. Contacted the owner to see what he says though. 

IMG_20180228_181114699.jpg

Well, he's sending replacement brushes tomorrow and a sample of their "special" white paint because I've been on a search for the best white to airbrush with.  I also have some createx illustration white coming from eBay as it's highly regarded in the airbrjah community and claims to spray splatter free down to around 5 psi, which would be fantastic. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It says right on the label to use gloves (and the directions, it's step one!), if I remember correctly... But the other main recommendation is Apoxie makes a huuuuuge mess along whatever it touches, so unless you want to clean the slick residue it can leave behind off of your hands on a regular basis... 

If you let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes after mixing, it's much better behaved. On the other hand, the first 5 or 10 minutes is where it has the most stickiness, so if you need to build up on a slick or smooth surface (try to roughen it up with sandpaper, a file, or even a knife first if you can!) then that's the best time to mush it on.

Apoxie Sculpt straight is terrible IMO for mini sculpting, much more suited to terrain or large-scale figures due to it's somewhat large grain and inability to stretch much. Mixed with either GS or ProCreate it becomes much more manageable. Even mixed though, the resulting final will be stiff and hard, not rubbery like the others. Good for some things, not so good for others. For example, weapons are great because you can sculpt a vaguely sword or axe-like blob and put the edges in with a knife or via sanding.

• Like 4

Just placed my third monthly order in support of Reaper's Dungeon Dwellers promo.  More holes in my DHL collection have been filled which now gives me complete run of figs from #2000-3330.

The Egg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I just got Myke Cole's The Armored Saint, some dice, and a topical spray for Lucy's upset armpit. 

Also a corrected W2... :grr:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I just got Myke Cole's The Armored Saint, some dice, and a topical spray for Lucy's upset armpit. 

Also a corrected W2... :grr:

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

Just placed my third monthly order in support of Reaper's Dungeon Dwellers promo.  More holes in my DHL collection have been filled which now gives me complete run of figs from #2000-3330.

The Egg

*****JEALOUS*****

• Like 6

Got my CPAP mask and machine for my sleep apnea today, I hope it will help my recently diagnosed AFib too....

• Like 3

My nice friendly Postman just delivered this today:

5a98a54adc059_20180301_1648311.thumb.jpg.c5ccfe1644e830c0c1cd8b973ae426cd.jpg

THE RARE ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ~ DUELING DRAGONS ~ MINT RAL PARTHA MINIATURES BOXED SET!! – 1981  by Bob Charrette and Julie Guthrie (Author)

The Question I have is, do I assemble & paint or save historical value.

I'm also thinking of bringing it to ReaperCon to get Julie Guthrie's autograph on it.

• Like 14