@Sophie was taken

Lead rot is grey/white - if the mini looks like it has cauliflower growing on it, that's lead rot...

Lead darkens naturally as it gets older - yellow or brown is probably tarnish, but it's not unusual to see a fair variety of color on old lead from yellow to black.

Generally, American companies like Ral Partha stopped using lead around 1991-92 due to the big "lead panic" in this country, but Euro brands kept using it up until '98 or so...  (This only applies to fantasy minis - a lot of historicals still use it.)

The Grenadiers are definitely lead. The AD&D Ral Parthas generally contain lead - they went into production in '87, a few years before the big switch to other materials, and ran until '96 or so... It will be stated on the back of the package whether or not they contain lead or are made from "lead-free Ralidium" - a lot of the Parthas manufactured during the transition will have a "lead-free" sticker on them... But assume they are until you can ascertain otherwise.

100 Kingdoms is from Black Orc Games circa 2000-2013-ish. They're out of business, and not one of the big brands, so that's probably why they're cheap.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sophie was taken said:

I did want to ask, since somebody here probably knows, these older pewter minis contain lead, and some of them are in various stages of turning a shiny rusty brown. Is this the dreaded lead rot or just normal tarnish?

On 8/7/2015 at 8:04 PM, knarthex said:

OK an hour of prep on her Majesty....

(It's about Time!)

(I think she feels cranky, needs some TLC...)

But first a couple pics of her belly plate. Look at the edges folks, and tell me if that ridge is supposed to be there?Any

one else out there that has on that can let me know? Thanks.

post-14271-0-49346400-1438992071_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-34376600-1438992082_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-70680400-1438992087_thumb.jpg

In the pic below you can see where I had to rub her belly...

post-14271-0-81431500-1438992094_thumb.jpg

(And it Tickled too!)

Better run before I get Tail Slapped....

8)

George

Here is what  my Takhisis belly looked like....

that's tarnish, usually from skin oils left on the figure....

@buglips*the*goblin is the master descriptor of that stuff....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, what Knarthex showed in those pics is an extremely common phenomenon on old minis - I have a couple that looked almost like they were made of brass before I cleaned them.

Lead rot, on the other hand, requires a very specific set of circumstances to start occurring, and isn't common at all.

• Like 5

Ok good, everything definitely looked like @knarthex‘s pictures and not a metal tumor. Some of those old, unloved minis may need to be rescued this weekend. 

If if I can bring myself to remove them from the blisters :unsure:

thanks, guys ^_^

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 4

Depending on which of the Ral Partha AD&D blisters they have, what condition the packaging is in, and what they're charging for them, you may want to pick them and leave them in the blisters, then flip them on teh EvilBay at some point.

To be honest, depending on what they have, I might need ya to do me a favor, lol... ::D:

I think we're going to need a detailed report of the situation.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Sophie was taken said:

Ok good, everything definitely looked like @knarthex‘s pictures and not a metal tumor. Some of those old, unloved minis may need to be rescued this weekend. 

If if I can bring myself to remove them from the blisters :unsure:

thanks, guys ^_^

No problem!

Just trying to give back a little of all I have gotten here....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Depending on which of the Ral Partha AD&D blisters they have, what condition the packaging is in, and what they're charging for them, you may want to pick them and leave them in the blisters, then flip them on teh EvilBay at some point.

To be honest, depending on what they have, I might need ya to do me a favor, lol... ::D:

I think we're going to need a detailed report of the situation.

Full list of AD&D blisters:

45E934A7-DE36-4DAA-A230-6685DB979CF4.jpeg.b41679b252dbe05ab7f8693e7cb11269.jpeg

That. Only more torn up, and possibly with busted plastic. Might actually be cheaper on the evilBay for that condition.

Thats it for D&D apart from the recent Nolzur’s line. I’d have to go back to inventory the Generic RP/Grenadier/Warhammer/other brands I’ve never heard of.

...which seems like a good excuse for more acquisitions. Thread title doesn’t lie.

• Like 7

Don't have my latest buy in hand yet, but it was so good of a deal I have to share!

Been eyeing Ma'al Drakar for awhile now, but I always figured $150 was a bit much to spend on just one figure. Cut to today & Amazon is running a deal on them for $127.99 plus free shipping. I already had $60 in gift cards from work, so $67.99... Yeah, I can definitely live with that. What's that? $40 gift card for being approved for an Amazon credit card? Yes, the deal of all deals... Ma'al Drakar for $27.99 shipped! I can't wait for this beast to show up!

• Like 10

Still can't believe packages from the US and Spain got here before something made it from just three provinces over o_O  Anyways,. LOOT PICS WHOOOO!!!

20180316_063625.thumb.jpg.068f93fe3c2b14a318765d9c866418c1.jpg

Most of it is from GreenStuffWorld.  Wow, those cork tubs are, uhh, a bit larger than I thought.  Not complaining, it's going to be nice to have a few years months of cork to use when I start basing stuff heavily ^_^  Magic Sculpt is because I wanted to try it out (hey, it is $5 USD cheaper than a tube of greenstuff, AND has twice as much, AND I was looking at the Magic Sculpt (and other things) for basing anyways), greenstuff is so I have even more to mix with my Apoxie Sculpt (whenever CanadaPost decides to deliver it ::P:), and the bases are an extra blister from Reaper because my four packs of them didn't quite have 20 each.

I just might have to buy a few more of the XL tubs from GSW, since I rather like their size, and how much is in them.  Oh, and they stack too.

• Like 7

I never would have thought to look for tubs of cork dust.  I've always just swept up the crumbs after I've made a base for something...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clearman said:

I never would have thought to look for tubs of cork dust.  I've always just swept up the crumbs after I've made a base for something...

Yeah, it probably isn't necessary but I said screw it, it's five bucks.  Might come in handy for a few things though, like my Ebonwrath and building a riverbed... 

Also acquired today, thanks to ramping up to the company's hundredth anniversary... 

20180316_083044.thumb.jpg.8fc823bbddcd5f0150cb7f058ef95d56.jpg

20180316_083054.thumb.jpg.ae77b0b876461be39498120a55ab11e2.jpg

Chocolate, with house blend coffee mixed in! ^_^

Bonus points to marketing for putting it in the two best colours, and additional bonus points for the shade of orange being close enough to my favourite! 

.... Triple bonus points for FINALLY bringing Revv to the Canadian market, I've been asking any and every executive (including our CEO) as they visit when we will be getting it without having to do grey market importing.  It's in the next delivery, sahweeeeeet!  Six and a half years of persistence pays off ^_^

So can't wait to get home and enjoy chocolate while painting! 

• Like 8

I may have self-control issues.

CA09C15D-04CC-4324-97E1-8D95A010CD97.thumb.jpeg.12387b672bcdc5c0a5d259b579e7f77a.jpeg

Another chunk of birthday funds went to my first Reaper order of the year, been too long on that front.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

CA09C15D-04CC-4324-97E1-8D95A010CD97.thumb.jpeg.12387b672bcdc5c0a5d259b579e7f77a.jpeg

Another chunk of birthday funds went to my first Reaper order of the year, been too long on that front.

House Figmentius will be waiting for you!

Nice minis!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Disagree.  The issue would be having self control...

I had three deliveries from eBay just this week. :B):

• Haha 5