The first of three packages of WWII stuff arrived today.  My son has been working on a little 19th century "image-nations" project for some time, and we had it on the table with Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames (OHW) a couple of weeks ago.  OHW uses 'armies' of up to six units of four types per time period for each of 8 or ten time periods, and the armies are randomly rolled from a list.  The way it works out, all possible combinations you can roll are covered by 4/2/2/2 units of the four types.  For WWII, these are infantry/mortars/tanks/anti-tank guns.  So I decided that I could probably stand to paint that many things, and duly ordered for Germans and Russians a box of two tanks each, a box of two AT guns, a box of infantry, and a box of mortars (for the Germans; Russian infantry box had two that would pass) all in 1/72 scale.  We'll see how long this takes me to do.  WWII uniforms shouldn't really be that hard.

• Like 7

On 4/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I use glass jars.  Usually they formerly held spaghetti sauce or jam.  No evaporation and has the added benefit of looking like some kind of crazy experiment.

Mason/Ball jars are what I use, because I've got a bunch laying around. I keep a quart jar full of simple green and just drop stuff in there to languish for all eternity, and I keep a pint jar for the stuff that has a reasonable chance of seeing the light of day again sometime soon.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Mason/Ball jars are what I use, because I've got a bunch laying around. I keep a quart jar full of simple green and just drop stuff in there to languish for all eternity, and I keep a pint jar for the stuff that has a reasonable chance of seeing the light of day again sometime soon.

It's pickle jars here; we go through a lot of them.  

• Like 3

New place I work in has Keurig coffee machines. Though convenient, I find them ridiculously wasteful, and the K-cups we have to supply ourselves get expensive fast.

So when I saw a coworker using reusable K-cups, I told myself "why not?" I settled on some models I found on Amazon, but needed $20 more of stuff to get free shipping, and a nearly a week's wait to physically get them. And earlier today, as I went to the general store looking for something else, I found a pack of reusable K-cups right then and there! Not as inexpensive as Amazon, but I could get them, right there and be able to use them this week with my own coffee (which will be stronger).

• Like 8

A trip to the game store and a check of the mail.

(I was hoping for the Village or Village Square or whatever flip mats to use as the center of a hometown for a game, but Hamlet was as close as I could get. It's small for what I's thinking but helped spur some other ideas. Might still slip on over to Amazon, idk. Was hoping to see the full spread of those others first. But I guess they ought to be somewhere. Anywho.)

EB9255F4-D37A-4E7D-95DD-99391D2482E6.thumb.jpeg.fe32d3d9655883ca6d973780319340c8.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

I'm currently building a new PC:

i5-8600K 3.6ghz (6 core) Coffee Lake

Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Liquid CPU Cooler

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E MoBo

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G

16GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM

2x WD Blue 250GB SSD

2x WD Blue 4TB HDD

Corsair HX Series HX850

The Egg

Out of sheer curiosity, why the 1050 Ti?   Also, congrats on the new PC, mine's a 4770k which still does the job, but isn't as happy about letting me bump it up to 4.6GHz anymore...  Then again, when it's replaced, I suspect it will be saying something along the lines of "wait, what, what do you meant were at 5.5+ GHz" because it will receive a proper attempt at a burial.  Aka frozen via dry ice!  (sadly, hubby's old computer that I tried to kill this way has turned into my main benching platform, and refuses to die.  It does cooperate for me though, which is really weird, since it gave him a bunch of troubles) 

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

New place I work in has Keurig coffee machines. Though convenient, I find them ridiculously wasteful, and the K-cups we have to supply ourselves get expensive fast.

So when I saw a coworker using reusable K-cups, I told myself "why not?" I settled on some models I found on Amazon, but needed $20 more of stuff to get free shipping, and a nearly a week's wait to physically get them. And earlier today, as I went to the general store looking for something else, I found a pack of reusable K-cups right then and there! Not as inexpensive as Amazon, but I could get them, right there and be able to use them this week with my own coffee (which will be stronger).

If it's any consolation, they're working on having every KCup pod (or as they tried to make us say four years ago, Keurig single serve portion pack - for some reason it didn't stick ::P: ) as recyclable by 2020.  Canada will hit this mark a lot sooner, as it's being used as the test bed for overall ramping up of production.  Plastic is recyclable, and the filter/coffee part can be peeled off (just like Vista and the now dead/disco'd Bolt packs) and composted.  I think the K-Carafes are also recyclable via this same method, but I haven't used one since the 2.0 machines came out. 

If you can, get a friend in an OCS (office coffee service) division at a KAD (Keurig Authorized Dealer/Distributor) as the 24 packs can be cheaper that way, as either cash sale, or purchased through said friend...  Or go to Costco and get the 80 packs, which are noticeably cheaper this way.  Please note, I'm only saying such because you mention staff must pay for their coffee and they must provide it themselves. 

..... Which reminds me, boo, I forgot to grab my staff coffee from the warehouse yesterday, I'll have to wait until Monday to get my monthly stash... 

• Like 3

Staff having to pay for their own drinks?   

Man, that sucks.

At my office we have Chaqwa machines, and about once every month the technician comes around with boxes full of bags of roasted beans, instant coffee, chocolate, and creamer, and 100pack boxes of teas and powdered broth in '1 cup servings'.   

There's even a co2 bottle in it for when you want a glass of bubbly water. 

All paid for by the department.

The only ones who pay anything is those who brings their own tea, or happens to have a Nescafe machine because they don't like the flavour of coffee in the Chaqwa. 

• Like 5

I’d like to drop in a recommendation for coffee made in the Aeropress. 

It takes ten seconds once the water is hot, is purely mechanical, makes an astonishingly delicious and mellow cup of coffee*, is  a simple easy clean up, almost no waste (just a small paper circle and the coffee grounds), and though it looked like fragile acrylic plastic when I got it years ago, it has held up robustly to daily use.

(You need to heat your own water for the thing.)

*This was what sold me on it. It makes fabulous coffee. That would have been worth it even if it were not a simple, easy, fast, clean, environmentally responsible, non-electric coffee maker.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

It takes ten seconds once the water is hot, is purely mechanical, makes an astonishingly delicious and mellow cup of coffee*, is  a simple easy clean up, almost no waste (just a small paper circle and the coffee grounds), and though it looked like fragile acrylic plastic when I got it years ago, it has held up robustly to daily use.

*This was what sold me on it. It makes fabulous coffee. That would have been worth it even if it were not a simple, easy, fast, clean, environmentally responsible, non-electric coffee maker.

I use an espresso stove top/moka pot when at home (or at least at my old apartment).

With my induction stove top, it takes me about 5 minutes from the time I grind my beans, pour the water in the pot, boil it and pour myself my first cup.

It makes delicious coffee (at least for my taste buds), and the only waste product is the coffee grinds, no filter required. Just mild rinsing. And being such a concentrated brew, the content of three small cups keeps me alert all day (unlike the weak coffee pods), without any jitters.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Ohhh yeah, a cup made with an AeroPress is a good way to start the day.  I really should buy one one of these days because I absolutely love how it makes a coffee. 

... Even if I'm more of a Clever Coffee Dripper kind of guy atm, simply because that's what I have (although being the silly one I am, I do have plans on eventually acquiring an AeroPress, a Chemex, a Nespresso (both machine types), and a Hario v60 because they all make coffee somewhat differently) 

I should try the moka pot, I've been curious as to how it brews (aka how it tastes). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, why the 1050 Ti?   Also, congrats on the new PC, mine's a 4770k which still does the job, but isn't as happy about letting me bump it up to 4.6GHz anymore...  Then again, when it's replaced, I suspect it will be saying something along the lines of "wait, what, what do you meant were at 5.5+ GHz" because it will receive a proper attempt at a burial.  Aka frozen via dry ice!  (sadly, hubby's old computer that I tried to kill this way has turned into my main benching platform, and refuses to die.  It does cooperate for me though, which is really weird, since it gave him a bunch of troubles)

I always build the best machine I can afford, and the decision to go with an older card was driven by cost.  Graphics cards are stupidly expensive right now (as is RAM) and I wasn't willing to dump $800+ on a card.  The 1050 TI was right in the sweet spot - powerful enough for my needs (I'm a casual gamer) and at a price I could stomach.   Besides, it's a massive step up from the GTX 560 TI in the old 2500k build that it's replacing. 

The Egg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I put a teabag in the mug and pour water on it. 

If I want to be fancy I go loose leaf. Tea in strainer... pour hot water. 

Poor coffee drinkers, having to *think* about making coffee before having coffee in the morning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I use tea filters made of  cotton fabric, from Denmark.

Bettertea dot dk

I have one for my Pu-erh tea, one for regular looseleaf, and one for barley tea. 

(and a couple of unused ones in reserve)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

I use tea filters made of  cotton fabric, from Denmark.

Bettertea dot dk

I have one for my Pu-erh tea, one for regular looseleaf, and one for barley tea. 

(and a couple of unused ones in reserve)

I have some paper tea filters that I use for the grainy stuff like loose rooibos. Otherwise I use one of the stainless steel ForLife strainers (I think that's the brand). They are easily rinsed, and can be popped in the dishwasher. 

Also, I am now out of bed and have a mug of what I dub "lazy tea" - prebagged stuff that I don't feel bad about abusing. Red Rose English Breakfast. 

• Like 2