8 hours ago, Unruly said:

Quoting myself to give something of an update.

I'm guessing that because of the early button push, they've pushed back the date on the bundle. They've got 2 new bundles up, neither of which are Campaign Cartographer. I'll keep an eye out for a few weeks and see if it does pop up. If it does, I'll be sure to let everyone know. I'm almost 100% positive that it will be happening sometime in the future, but I just can't say when.

I have CC3 and a couple of the addons. I've been thinking of updating to CC3+ and wouldn't mind more of the extras if the price was right. Long way of saying I'll be watching for this. I like the program but don't do enough maps (or any for a long time) to want to spend hundreds of dollars on more for it.

I love Campaign Cartographer.  Been using it for around 20 years now. (Wow - it's been that long?)

10 hours ago, Dontfear said:

Awww yeah.....

24 inches of board flattening power

IMG_20180509_195255434_HDR.thumb.jpg.2a7085252fd43d3e01b5c26ca5e8ecb6.jpg

Sexy. And I'm betting expensive, too. I've noticed that hand planes have been relegated to niche hobby pricing, in that even small ones can run you a lot of money.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Sexy. And I'm betting expensive, too. I've noticed that hand planes have been relegated to niche hobby pricing, in that even small ones can run you a lot of money.

Not as bad as you might think for a no. 8.  This one has a cracked tote which I'll need to make a new one and a previously repaired frog which murders the collector value but it'll cut wood like the day it was made which is what I need it for.  I paid 125 which is a bit dear for just a user but the supply on these is getting thin around here and they go for at least that much on eBay.  Consider too that a veritas or lie Nielsen goes for 4-500 dollars and I'm pretty happy with it.  Someday I'll have a full set of veritas planes to work with but I need a kit for now.

In a strange reverse the smallest planes no 1 and no 2 are the most valuable due to scarcity.  They are also the most useless thus the scarcity :p

Edited by Dontfear

6 hours ago, Dontfear said:

Not as bad as you might think for a no. 8.  This one has a cracked tote which I'll need to make a new one and a previously repaired frog which murders the collector value but it'll cut wood like the day it was made which is what I need it for.  I paid 125 which is a bit dear for just a user but the supply on these is getting thin around here and they go for at least that much on eBay.  Consider too that a veritas or lie Nielsen goes for 4-500 dollars and I'm pretty happy with it.  Someday I'll have a full set of veritas planes to work with but I need a kit for now.

In a strange reverse the smallest planes no 1 and no 2 are the most valuable due to scarcity.  They are also the most useless thus the scarcity :p

One of the nicer things I got from my father (and he from his father) was a set of planes 3, 4, and 6 sizes, all beautiful and honed to a razor edge.  I love the planes and have memories of using them when I needed a step stool to reach the top of a saw horse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

One of the nicer things I got from my father (and he from his father) was a set of planes 3, 4, and 6 sizes, all beautiful and honed to a razor edge.  I love the planes and have memories of using them when I needed a step stool to reach the top of a saw horse.

I use handtools because they are deeply pleasurable to work wood with.  Nothing more than a well setup plane, The way the shaving rises from the throat of a plane and leaves a glassy smooth surface behind is beautiful, you feel the fibers of the wood being cut, feel the way the tree grew.  Even the sound of the blade passing through the wood is beautiful, like a cross between the sound of a zipper and a shushing sound.  you're lucky to have had that experience as a kid, I came to it much later in life.  Thankfully I discovered that machines are entirely superfluous to producing good furniture, no need for dust masks or ear protection just the sound of sharp steel passing through lignum.

• Like 3

I stopped in the FLGS on the way home after a job and got some Green Stuff.

• Like 6

Just when my wallet thought it was safe.....

09789 Evening Colors Triad (enabled from observing Geoff Davis's Nazera Bloodraven wip. this will provide a nice secondary color option for my witches)

09274 Vampire Shadow

09276 Vampire Highlight (enabled by the same thread, I already have Vampire Skin from a Halloween goody bag)

07003 Dungeon Dwellers: Bloodbite Goblins

07004 Dungeon Dwellers: Stitch Thimbletoe (now I'm caught up with the Dungeon Dwellers again.)

77479 Klaus Copperthumb, Dwarf Thief ( because there must be a dwarf in every order!)

77007 Ghost ( will be finding a place as an adversary of the Coffee Dwarves)

77024 Goblins (6) ( I'm blaming Buglips and his convincing argument in the Bloodbite Goblins thread as to why every home needs more goblins. Besides the Bloodbites now have others to boss around.)

77034 Kieran Tallowmire, Wizard (will be playing the part of one of the greatest foes of the Coffee Dwarves.)

07005 Dungeon Dwellers Cairn Wraith (rabbits beware!)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dontfear said:

Awww yeah.....

Nice. 

But NEVER let me see you leave it on top of a table or workbench like that, ever again!

Do you want to damage the cutting edge?

Lay it on its side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Dontfear said:

Awww yeah.....

I like it! My mom has a couple that I get to borrow when I need to. There really is nothing better for making a wooden sword or other prop. Hand tools give you the control you want for doing details that really make the piece stand out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Nice. 

But NEVER let me see you leave it on top of a table or workbench like that, ever again!

Do you want to damage the cutting edge?

Lay it on its side. 

If it's good enough for Paul sellers to leave it sole down, it's good enough for me.  In all seriousness, that is a bit of a controversy but some of the modern masters say sole down because it is less likely to knock your lateral adjustment off.  Also here the iron is retracted because I don't want to damage my 200 year old piece of furniture it's sitting on :p

1 hour ago, Keianna said:

I like it! My mom has a couple that I get to borrow when I need to. There really is nothing better for making a wooden sword or other prop. Hand tools give you the control you want for doing details that really make the piece stand out. 

Hand tools are far more precise than machines after all 0 rpm is way slower than 10,000 :p

• Like 4

The KD figure I got in prep for a setup with Black Sun's Narok arrived. Geez this is a lot of pieces. Her face is separate from her head!

20180510_162907.jpg

20180510_162959.jpg

20180510_162941.jpg

• Like 8

I'm not overly huge into the KD scene, but the ones they hit perfect on like that one are a wonder. 

• Like 1