One of the reasons that so many of the 5E books are reprinting material from previous stuff is the Adventure League's PHB + 1 rule for making characters...

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

One of the reasons that so many of the 5E books are reprinting material from previous stuff is the Adventure League's PHB + 1 rule for making characters...

That limitation was one of the reasons that I have not yet acquired a AL character (my FLGS has AL games every wednesday night) - I just can't pin myself down when I'm making a character.. I NEED ALL THE OPTIONS!!!! *maniacal cackle*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2018 at 4:05 PM, Auberon said:

While I've generally liked the look of Privateer Press minis when I've seen them painted I've never been able to talk myself into buying them.  I don't play the game and the minis aren't priced as cost efficient stand-ins for generic RPG minis.  Recently though I came across a sale which made them feel almost reasonably priced and picked up an early B-day present for myself.  Mostly I picked up Hordes given I can use them as fantasy minis, but I also picked up a few Warmachine just to see how they looked.

Reveal hidden contents

Wraith Witch Deneghra, Epic Warcaster

34098_wraithwitchdeneghra_1.jpg.7c57a9063aa9e94c95854d5d8b4bfbea.jpg

Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis

36001_AuroraNumenofAerogenesis_WEB.jpg.ee83060013f7a66ee6760d1e4a3e8cf7.jpg

Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire

41091_EpicAlexiaWEB.jpg.c333aa8a0f361b64d1c45d8730389388.jpg

Glacier King Gargantuan

71094_GlacierKing_WEB.jpg.9779c4eaa236b21d8c639ffaab17843e.jpg

Extreme Dire Troll Mauler

71098_ExtremeDireTrollMauler_WEB.jpg.64679c0074fd56646d591186469c0ef1.jpg

Woldwatcher

72005_Woldwatcher_WEB.jpg.7280249bc0955002380c756045a96595.jpg

Woldwarden

72007_Woldwarden_WEB.jpg.f678075538ac081975d4609288ec676c.jpg

Tharn Wolf Riders (3) - pic is of replacement unit box which has a couple more riders

72086_TharnWolfRiders_WEB.jpg.c339dcc7cda062eef296eeda67c48f01.jpg

Wold Guardian

72045_WoldGuardian_WEB.jpg.93b83c5e57d702bd48b659bf6b364dce.jpg

Celestial Fulcrum Battle Engine - Seems like a nice terrain piece.  I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can magnetize the three druids to be removable

72064_CestialFulcrum_WEB.jpg.9a59f1bfc0217d2ac0bd69acede75a56.jpg

Morvahna the Dawnshadow

72069_MorvahnaTheDawnshadowWEB.jpg.e3946128403707bd1ea60da430fbb748.jpg

Thagrosh the Messiah

73033_ThagroshTheMessiah_WEB.jpg.b69507b2f42ba5f1bb8fd8fba88a61cb.jpg

Some observations on PP as a first time buyer...

• The large boxes are asymmetrical, designed to be opened right handed.  It's not an issue for me but still seems an odd choice when you could just cut a half-moon out on both sides of the cardboard tray.
  • One size fits all packaging creates a lot of void space.  I guess it works for them but that's a lot of air being shipped in boxes.
  • Just because you have a clamshell that works great in all of your 50mm unit boxes does not mean you can re-purpose it for a larger box.  The fact that it doesn't hold itself together is a non-issue in a box just its size.  In a bigger box (glacier king, celestial fulcrum) the clamshell pops open and all of the little pieces inside spread through the box.  Explains why they rattled so much...
  • The prop 65 warning is a sticker that has been manually attached to boxes containing resin.  I don't see any on the all metal figures.
  • The minis themselves look well cast and test fit together reasonably well. 
  • The resin will require a lot of trimming.  I'd rather that than have the manufacturer cut too close and damage the mini but PP was very cautious.
  • There are some a lot of little pieces with small attachment locations.
  • I rather wish the 50mm bases didn't have their slot filled in.  It would be handy for some of the mounts.
  • The "monsters" will work just fine as monsters for TTRPG play, though the humans are obviously slightly out of scale with all of my 28mm figures.
  • I have all of these little cards and I don't know what any of the numbers mean...

In short, I'll pick some more up in the future during sales but not at full price.  For the moment it'll just be what I like without worrying about specific armies.

• Like 3

That is the best way to buy PP minis, I find. Not at full price and because they look good.

It's how I picked up the Great God [redacted], I mean, the Dracodile.

• Like 1

I like PP minis, their price just tends to be really high.  As for the cards and numbers, PP is on their thrd edition of the rules.  This seems to apply only to the core book (the Primal).  You can usually grab a previous edition for 5 dollars in a used book store.  All the fluff and the ability to try the game.

The best part I have found about the PP minis:  the little nub pins fit the minis together really well.  Which is a good thing because the bad part is that the metal tempers hard enough to snap drill bits with any heat at all.  If you do any metal pinning either use a hand drill or go realllllly slow.  If lost a half dozen 1 mm bits before I learned how fast was too fast....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Not sure how I feel about that. 

It's nice that Crowley's okay with reprinted material; lacking the other books, Crowley might not even have known until someone mentioned it.

...but at fifty bucks a hardback, it irks me to think they're already recycling stuff.

While that's a bit annoying, it serves a purpose beyond the Adventurer's League stuff already mentioned. It cuts down on the number of books you need to carry to cannibalize various bits for your game. One of the things that always irked me was having to carry around 40lbs of books to each session because I had plans to use all sorts of stuff from various modules, adventures, etc. PDFs and online reference documents have helped with that, especially with Pathfinder, but Wizards is still in the "physical book or nothing" mode for 5e. Even the 5e SRD is garbage in that it's lacking just about everything even remotely of value.

I mean, really, the multiple Pathfinder bestiaries are made of a lot of reprints from modules and adventure paths that have come out. And it's great. I get what you're saying, though. It'd be nice to see more original content alongside the reprints. I mean, isn't Xanathar's full of reprints for previous spells and such as well?

• Like 2

I do believe the spells & other materials from Xanthar's were "unofficial" UE articles in Wotc's website. Xanthar's just makes em legal. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eldamir said:

That limitation was one of the reasons that I have not yet acquired a AL character (my FLGS has AL games every wednesday night) - I just can't pin myself down when I'm making a character.. I NEED ALL THE OPTIONS!!!! *maniacal cackle*

Well, in AL you are able to rebuild your character in all ways (except name) up until the character reaches 5th level.  So make one and change things around as necessary.

5 hours ago, haldir said:

I do believe the spells & other materials from Xanthar's were "unofficial" UE articles in Wotc's website. Xanthar's just makes em legal. 

Xanthars did reprint all of the spells from the Elemental Evil Players Guide.  That was a free download so you are not paying for them twice.

• Like 2

Miniature Market's sale got me:

-Codenames: Marvel

-Wasteland Express Delivery Service

-Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

-Flick 'em Up

Also, Toys r Us closing sale AND Barnes and Noble's 75% table got me for a decent amount of kid toys for birthdays this summer and Christmas.

• Like 3

Acquired:

- a swing arm magnifying lamp

- some old testors enamel paints

- a bones sphinx

- some random cheap paint brushes

• Like 5

Latest acquisition to make game nights better:

XL Drinking Horn from Grimfrost.

20180531_163618.thumb.jpg.1f086412bd9bb5015197d44cc33b9650.jpg

Now to acquire enough mead. 

• Like 10

Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters showed up today. Got a game in with the family before dinner. Seems like a fun game.

20180531_170306.thumb.jpg.850406d8a9a228874ab21a59fae63bef.jpg

• Like 6