9 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

That sounds like a challenge to me.

That stupid New York lawsuit back in the '90s involved using a masticating machine to chew on miniatures for hours at a time. They couldn't get enough lead dissolved for it to be a problem.

Which is to say it's not just a challenge, but it's a difficult challenge.

Note: I will take no responsibility if you succeed at this challenge. There might be a Nelson Muntz "Ha-ha!" though. :B):

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

That stupid New York lawsuit back in the '90s involved using a masticating machine to chew on miniatures for hours at a time. They couldn't get enough lead dissolved for it to be a problem.

Which is to say it's not just a challenge, but it's a difficult challenge.

Note: I will take no responsibility if you succeed at this challenge. There might be a Nelson Muntz "Ha-ha!" though. :B):

Oh it's not a challenge for me. I was planning on slipping lead figures into @buglips*the*goblin's cereal. You already told him there's metal shavings in there, so I figure he won't think anything of there being a few more robust chunks.

• Haha 15

I have no intention of chewin on minis but I am a compulsive nail-biter so would this much hand to mouth contact be taken into account?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

UPDATE: They are here.

(WWE dollar store Brock Lesnar figurine...)

So does this one jump into games where he isn't wanted? (ie his current role with UFC apparently) ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

I have no intention of chewin on minis but I am a compulsive nail-biter so would this much hand to mouth contact be taken into account?

Ultimately you have to decide what risks you're willing to take. Look up the evidence for yourself, evaluate the safety issues, and mitigate as appropriate for your risk tolerance (which might mean avoiding the lead entirely).

That said, I would not worry if I were in that situation. Metallic lead has a very low bioavailability.

The health problems associated with lead have mostly been a result of Flake White pigment (lead carbonate). It's a very nice, opaque, and permanent white that has been used for millennia. It's also sweet to the taste (or so I've been told) and has enough ability to drop into solution that it can be absorbed by the body fairly easily. That combination made it a particular problem in children's rooms. To a lesser extent, lead carbonate dust could arise from removing the paint, which could also be problematic.  And all that led to its removal from the market for most purposes.

Other lead problems arose from the use of tetraethyl lead antiknock compounds to raise the octane rating of gasoline. In combustion, some lead would be released into the atmosphere. More importantly, the platinum sponge inside of catalytic converters would be ruined by the use of those compounds, making it useless for the removal of other, more important, pollutants.

None of this was about metallic lead.

As I alluded to above, metals behave much differently from their various related compounds. Potassium Chloride is used as a dietary supplement (in controlled doses), Potassium Hydroxide (lye) is a strong caustic base, and Potassium metal will catch fire on exposure to water. The dangers of one are not especially related to the dangers of the others. If you're worried about poisoning as a result of working with miniatures, the pigments and solvents in your paint are a much bigger problem than the metals used by the casters. For that matter, resin dust can be a more significant toxicity problem than lead dust.

Pay attention to the risks of what you're doing, but make sure you understand where the real dangers are, not just the scary sounding dangers.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, haldir said:

So does this one jump into games where he isn't wanted? (ie his current role with UFC apparently) ::P:

No it's just big and mean looking and might make a good giant or other such big humanoid with some conversion work.

(also I thought he retired from the UFC and just worked with WWE now)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Oh it's not a challenge for me. I was planning on slipping lead figures into @buglips*the*goblin's cereal. You already told him there's metal shavings in there, so I figure he won't think anything of there being a few more robust chunks.

This is not how you make gold.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, BlazingTornado said:

You might consider wishing your hands after handling the lead...minis aren't pure lead by the way.

AND once you have applied a base coat/prime you won't be in contact with the metal at all.

• Like 2

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

This is not how you make gold.

How do you know? Have you ever made gold before?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

I got close, but I ran out of smurfs.

I could paint you blue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

This would gift you with many opportunities for regret. 

Sounds like a normal Thursday to me.

• Haha 6

There are alloys of purple gold. Paint the  goblin purple-gold. 

In seriousness, purple gold does exist (I think 14-18k) but it is too hard and brittle to work. 

• Like 5