13 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Oh it's not a challenge for me. I was planning on slipping lead figures into @buglips*the*goblin's cereal. You already told him there's metal shavings in there, so I figure he won't think anything of there being a few more robust chunks.

The 7 Day Goblin Lead Poisoning Challenge!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I have no intention of chewin on minis but I am a compulsive nail-biter so would this much hand to mouth contact be taken into account?

As long as you don't chew on your nails while working with the lead minis you should be fine. Just remember not to eat or drink anything wile working with the mini and wash your hands when you are finished with you mini session. If you are worried about it you can use nitrile gloves while working with lead. These are the blue gloves that doctors use and they are used in chemistry experiments. They are readily available along with cleaning supplies, home improvement stores, and medical supply stores. If you use the gloves, be sure to throw them away after use.

• Like 3

Actually, Nitrile gloves are available in several colours. I've seen thin, white ones, and I personally use strong, Black ones in the garage. 

Also, latex gloves are also available in blue, and I think even nylon gloves can be found in that colour. 

As Latex can have allergy issues, always read the box. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ordered from Amazon:
Army Painter - Woodland tufts
Army Painter - Highland tufts
Set of 10 Diamond files (for metal minis)

Expecting some time today:
Replacement for my Cat Sophie mini (the one I ordered was missing parts, Reaper fixed me up promptly - thanks guys!)

Considering ordering:
Scenic Express flocking

• Like 8

18 hours ago, TGP said:

If a lump of metallic potassium, about 25x25x25mm, is removed from the jar full of glycerin it is safely stored in, and said lump is transported outdoors to a body of open water (pond) and it is then tossed in from a (it was hoped) safe distance, it does not so much catch fire, rather...

...it goes Splorp! then it goes Ka-Baaaam!! sounding like a small grenade going off.

Or so I am told...  :ph34r:

I cant speak to potassium...  However, 10 pounds of sodium removed from kerosene and thrown in a small lake will create a detonation big enough to blow out the windows on one side of a building 50 feet away, knock the thrower flat and send them to Juvie hall until they are 18. (or so I have seen...)

18 hours ago, haldir said:

Apparently after a visit from a tech guy who was offering savings on tv service last night, we've switched from Dish Network & a old receiver to a brand new DirecTV Genie. My wife pays the tv bill but she was paying around 80 to 90 a month (OUCH!) to around 50 now for more channels & more modern features like a receiver that'll record up to 5 channels at once (old system was only 2 & if it was recording, you were stuck watching that recording).

About the only disadvantage is we don't get Pac12 Network (Dish contract) & DiY Network. Oh well, we do get Disney XD & NFL Network again. I kinda wish we would have that for  SW:Rebels, but at least we have it for the upcoming SW shows that are shown on there & NFL channel is something my son wanted..

Ah, television.  I don't even use the thing anymore for watching live shows, but its either $90 a month for cable and phone or $75 a month for all three services so the cable stays...

50 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

That's kind of a bummer. I usually handle my minis freely but these guys'll have to go elsewhere until each is repaired, primed, painted and sealed. :(

Alright, reality check.  if you live in a house built before 1978, your house has lead paint, either from the original paint job or in the gypsum board.  if you live in a neighborhood where any of the water pipes were laid before 1970, you are drinking water that has passed through lead pipes.  if there was a major highway within 5 miles of your house that was in service before 1970 your ground is contaminated with trace amounts of tetraethyl lead.  if you ever smelled "the smoke" from a piece of failed electrical equipment, you probably inhaled lead vapors.   

to hit the exposure minimums for lead exposure you need to absorb 1/10 oz of lead.  that's not the metal, that's what actually makes it into your system.  and that's not dangerous as an acute exposure, you have to maintain that level even as your body is excreting it.

I am not saying you have to eat the stuff, but casual exposure is common for us everyday and will remain at acceptable levels.  far more dangerous is that neat piece of original Fiesta ware china that sits in your china cabinet emitting 2 REM a year of radiation or the rather toxic cadmium yellow in your paint set.  Or, for that matter, that third donut you had for breakfast this morning. 

What I am trying to say is:  watch what you do but don't become so paranoid about the world around you that you are afraid to enjoy it.  You bought those minis because you wanted to enjoy them, not leave them wrapped in sealed containers until they turn to dust from lead rot (which is far more ingestible by the way). Pull them out.  If it makes you feel better, prime them.  After that they are inert and you can handle them all you want.  But you can handle them, its not going to endanger your life or your future.

Sorry if I sound preachy but I have seen people, good people, turn down this path and become husks of their former selves because they fear everything.  Remember:  you can live right, exercise, eat right... and get hit by a passing drunk who comes crashing through your living room wall.  The world is there to be experienced!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Note: Thanks on previous message are not related to the sodium bomb. Because there was no video.

That incident was not recorded in video format.  Fortunately for the person who threw the thing or he would probably still be incarcerated.  and I want to be clear here:  I was not responsible for the incident, nor was I in any way associated with the incident other than knowing the guy and being hit in the back of the head by one of the glass shards.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Since buying miniatures if the one part of the hobby I've got down pretty well, I figured I should post here more often.

I FINALLY got my Wizkids order with the Beholder and the Umber Hulks, after 11 months of waiting. I also got my first order from Reaper directly this week (Reaper Europe), that one got here significantly faster :lol:

Spoiler

Cnkc9be.jpg

Besides the Beholder and two Umber Hulks I got myself a set of Mimics, the Silver Dragon, the Medusas, a Dire Wolf and the Dwarven Paladin.

From Reaper I got T'kay (who I'm really looking forward to painting), the Well of Chaos, Ropers, the Pathfinder Red Dragon, a Basilisk, an Earth Elemental (who was already taken out and is glued together), and, ofc the Freebies (Ghoulie Bag, Kobolds and the Vampire lady).

• Like 10

Shipping lost the goblinness from Iter Miniatures. Been just over a month since ordering without seeing it, so I contacted Iter on it. Could just be delays on international shipping, or the post service could've messed up - no need to be mean, just inquiring. They tried to track it, and concluded it went missing. They'll send a new one next week after the Scale Model Challenge. 

• Sad 6

19 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

And a Star Frontiers Megasaurus. What a hefty beast! Might keep that one for D&D!

Yay, Space Dragon-Lions!   :bday::winkthumbs::bday:

That guy rocks, doesn't he?  The one I bought from the collection I curated for my FLGS was covered so thickly in black primer I couldn't see the details on it at first, and I bought it just because it was a Star Frontiers mini. And because it was a hefty chunk of metal.

Then I got it home and stripped it. And the face on that guy is fierce!

Considering how old the damn thing is, it is one hell of a sculpt.

For anybody who doesn't know... (You can often find them reasonably cheap on Evilbay.)

Spoiler

Megasaurus.jpg.9ebb9c2b36840092e11ec4eca0eadf00.jpg

I recently got a really good deal on a pair of them still in the blisters, and I'm torn whether to keep them both or toss one in the BoG.

Once you get a final tally of everything you got, I may contact you about some of those broken doubles you got...

• Like 9

I finally got everything opened up.

I haven't inspected the Marvel, Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, Top Secret and Indiana Jones much.

But sadly, what I was told would be valuable did not fare well. Only one Assassin with scimitar is still reasonably intact. The second's sword seems to have broken off in transit (although I still have the sword) and the third's sword is still intact... but he lost his left hand. Tika's sword also broke off.

Everything else looks relatively okay...... but remains to be seen if it stays that way as I fight to straighten out all the bent and warped bits. :unsure:

And yes, the Megasaurus is great. Fell in love with it almost immediately.

D&D-wise, aside from the Grenadier Blink Dog, there were no other surprises, unless you could the added inclusion of one of the two Thief With Sling's missing hand (the one missing his non-slinged hand) a surprise.

I might more thoroughly inspect the other stuff at a later date but right now it was just unwrapping and going "Oh this is Star Frontiers, okay", wrapping it back up and putting it aside.

Feel free to message me about anything, sure.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Ah, television.  I don't even use the thing anymore for watching live shows, but its either $90 a month for cable and phone or $75 a month for all three services so the cable stays...

To be honest, it's more for the wife & the kids. Yes, I'll watch it but I don't need it. About the only show on tv I'll watch regularly is The Walking Dead. I really don't even watch my sports teams if their even on. (Which most of the time due to the area we live, they aren't. Again, Seattle Seabuzzards tv territory here)

Plus, my wife needs it on when she goes to bed. I've learned to ignore it when it's on at night.

• Like 1

I ordered fall dice and a ringtailed vixen from Kingdom death. 

I also found a Community driven set of rules updates: https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/8frzf9/the_first_round_of_kdm_community_edition_has_been/

which looks like a lot of fun, but means I need card

sleeves for my game so  I can use alternate gear easily.  I probably should have sleeved it first thing, but wanted to get started quickly.

Sleeves have been ordered but some are coming from Germany so _who knows_ how long till they get here.

Documagic - is a great business,  they  sent an email asking if the sleeves were for KDM and suggested a size that fit better. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4