45 minutes ago, Talae said:

Now you guys have me second guessing my purchase. Someone calm my nerves. The bundle I just bought today has the Badger TC908 Aspire. You all have me tempted to cancel my order.

That one resembles the Testor's compressor that I own. This is the version I have AC200

It has a moisture trap (the tube in the front) & it says it comes with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. Also there appears to be 2 'brush stands on it as well. The Testor's is a nice compressor & it does the job that I use it for (minis & mostly for scale models). 

It'll be loud (no tank so it runs constantly). Other then that, I don't see any problems with it. Note: Did your purchase show a airbrush hose? Normally compressors don't come with one, nor do airbrushes. Unless of course it's a package deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

That one resembles the Testor's compressor that I own. This is the version I have AC200

It has a moisture trap (the tube in the front) & it says it comes with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. Also there appears to be 2 'brush stands on it as well. The Testor's is a nice compressor & it does the job that I use it for (minis & mostly for scale models). 

It'll be loud (no tank so it runs constantly). Other then that, I don't see any problems with it. Note: Did your purchase show a airbrush hose? Normally compressors don't come with one, nor do airbrushes. Unless of course it's a package deal.

How loud is loud? Like can't hear the TV in the same room, or like can't use across the house with the door closed when kids are sleeping?

Here is the pic:

432601302_Screenshot_20181110-205725_AmazonShopping.jpg.501df472818d34bcb308429c22871f0e.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Talae said:

Now you guys have me second guessing my purchase. Someone calm my nerves. The bundle I just bought today has the Badger TC908 Aspire. You all have me tempted to cancel my order.

You'll be fine. That's the basic compressor that just about everything is built upon. You can probably even find tank kits for it to convert it to a tanked compressor later. Mine is the Master's branded tanked version and all that's different is it has a pipe running from the compressor outlet to the tank and then the moisture trap is at the tank outlet.

13 minutes ago, Talae said:

How loud is loud? Like can't hear the TV in the same room, or like can't use across the house with the door closed when kids are sleeping?

Honestly, it's not that loud. At least mine isn't when it's running. It's "I have to turn the volume up a bit higher than normal" loud. It's nowhere near the level of a full blown shop air compressor. Maybe mid-sized box fan on high loud. The only difference is that since yours won't have a tank, that sound will be constant.

Also, one thing I will recommend is a respirator to wear when airbrushing. Not paper masks, but an actual filtered respirator. Something P95 rated is probably best, as that's rated for organic solvents and oils. Otherwise, you'll be breathing in atomized paint, regardless of how well ventilated the area is, which is not a good thing.

Personally, I've got an MSA respirator with R95 cartridges, which are semi-oil resistant and the middle ground between N95(no oil resistance) and P95(very oil resistant).

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 3

I feel a little better now. Honestly, if this can speed up my painting process by mass priming and a solid color of base coat, that would be enough. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Talae said:

I feel a little better now. Honestly, if this can speed up my painting process by mass priming and a solid color of base coat, that would be enough. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

You'll be fine.  The first compressor I owned was the TCP version of that compressor. I used it for 2 years before I switched, mainly for the better water removal and because a friend wanted to buy that one.  (He needed a compressor, I was going to be travelling for 2 weeks, it worked)

The alternative to a respirator is a spray booth.  The one I have has a vent outside through a filter.  A spray booth has the added advantage of paint not floating out in the room as dust

As a note, I have a beard, respirators are of limited use...

• Like 3

A spray booth is NOT an alternative to a respirator!

I use a proper booth with a good fan and filters at the back, but I still find minute specks of paint on my hand after a paint session.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

The alternative to a respirator is a spray booth.  The one I have has a vent outside through a filter.  A spray booth has the added advantage of paint not floating out in the room as dust

As a note, I have a beard, respirators are of limited use...

I'm also fully bearded, though it's not of a significant length at only about 2-3 inches maximum. My respirator still seals just fine when properly tightened down. But even if it weren't fully sealed it would still be worth it because it would still drastically cut down on exposure.

I had far too many paint colored boogers before I bought the respirator but after I bought the spray booth to think that the booth was an adequate alternative.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

A spray booth is NOT an alternative to a respirator!

I use a proper booth with a good fan and filters at the back, but I still find minute specks of paint on my hand after a paint session.

This. The level of negative air pressure that you'd need is far worse than the expense of a respirator and replacement cartridges every now and again. You'd basically need to be on the intake side of a small wind tunnel to ensure that all stray paint was sucked away in time. And if my spray booth is any indicator, and it should be because it's the most common pre-made design on the market, it's nowhere near that good. Not to mention that the filter in the back isn't very good either, to which a set of paint-speckled curtains I own can attest.

Spray booths and respirators are complimentary items. A respirator protects your body, while a spray booth largely protects your room and, if vented outside, can help protect your body more than just airbrushing in an enclosed space.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5

Acquired the Warhammer Week Humble Bundle. Good value, if you like the Warhammer video games. I've been eyeing several of the games for a while now.

• Like 5

I went and looked at the specs for the Master's spray booth and it listed a 4m3/min extraction rate, which my handy google converter tells me is 141ft3/min.  I have worked in labs with hoods since last decade and with a lab hood I would feel comfortable working without a respirator at a face velocity of 141ft3/min.  A few ideas as to why it's not working here:

• It's best case, without the filter.  The working extraction rate is lower.
  • It's listed as "extraction rate" rather than face velocity so they may be measuring the smaller opening at the back rather than at the much larger face.  This could lead to a significantly lower flow rate where it counts than the specs would lead you to believe.
  • The booth is angled rather than a flat face.  This could induce vortexing and cause a partial blowback of material in the booth back into the room.

If I ever get a booth I can probably borrow the meter from work and see what the actual face velocity is.

As to beards... guys with beards fail fit test so anyone wearing respirators/SCBAs are required to be clean shaven.  I've done fit tests the old way (spray mist) and it is impressive how easily the mist gets through without a good seal.  Now they just hook you up via tube to a meter and let a computer check everything.  What's the fun in that?

• Like 4

Cap'n John went window shopping through the Bombshell Babes' site & came up with a little list.

I placed an order, which arrived yesterday. The Cap'n disappeared clutching the minis before I could snap a photo. Sans photo, he got:

10014- Victoriana

10019- Dr. Helen Salinger

10032- Evelyn the Explorer

10043- Eloise Covington

10058- Operative Haley

36032- Tammy the Tank Girl

So as not to feel left out, I include a few of the Side Kicks in with the order for myself.

...seen here next to my Bombshell Babe Holding Box:

DSCN7027.thumb.JPG.bfbbf4af707dadc54cd73621137168c8.JPG

...AND sans The Box:

DSCN7028.thumb.JPG.87e98b9b16f44f380ef1a7a5be36e3f0.JPG 

They are:

60012- Doom Bunny

60014- Buckshot the Jack-a-lope

60020- Dodo Bird

I have high hopes for The Trio...especially Doom Bunny.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Auberon said:

...guys with beards fail fit test so anyone wearing respirators/SCBAs are required to be clean shaven.  I've done fit tests the old way (spray mist) and it is impressive how easily the mist gets through without a good seal.  Now they just hook you up via tube to a meter and let a computer check everything.  What's the fun in that?

OUTSTANDING! I now have an excuse for not buying an air brush...other than I am an old grouch & avoid all these new fangled doodads & gizmos.

I wasn't really considering buying one, but having a plausible reason is nice. Thanks a bunch, Auberon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Auberon said:

I went and looked at the specs for the Master's spray booth and it listed a 4m3/min extraction rate, which my handy google converter tells me is 141ft3/min.  I have worked in labs with hoods since last decade and with a lab hood I would feel comfortable working without a respirator at a face velocity of 141ft3/min.  A few ideas as to why it's not working here:

• It's best case, without the filter.  The working extraction rate is lower.
  • It's listed as "extraction rate" rather than face velocity so they may be measuring the smaller opening at the back rather than at the much larger face.  This could lead to a significantly lower flow rate where it counts than the specs would lead you to believe.
  • The booth is angled rather than a flat face.  This could induce vortexing and cause a partial blowback of material in the booth back into the room.

If I ever get a booth I can probably borrow the meter from work and see what the actual face velocity is.

As to beards... guys with beards fail fit test so anyone wearing respirators/SCBAs are required to be clean shaven.  I've done fit tests the old way (spray mist) and it is impressive how easily the mist gets through without a good seal.  Now they just hook you up via tube to a meter and let a computer check everything.  What's the fun in that?

That's the booth I have. I don't have a way to objectively measure it's airflow, but I can say that I did get some paint boogers even with it. It was less than without it, but they were still there. So I'm betting they just looked at the optimal rating for the fan they used inside it rather than testing it in the specific application. 

As for beards and respirators, I simply do the "cover the filters and inhale" and "cover the vent and exhale" tests. If I can't breathe when the filters are covered, and all my exhaled breath is contained until it unseats the mask when I cover the vent, I consider my fit good enough for hobby work. At that point, the majority of any paint is going through the filters. And since I'm not working with anhydrous ammonia or anything that's super deadly I consider it good enough if I'm not getting paint boogers. Inhaling paint is probably the most potentially dangerous part of it all. The effects of mineral spirits and lacquer thinner vapors are well known, and while they may not be good for you they shouldn't kill you if you're exposed to them every now and again. But painting the inside of your lungs seems like it's right up there with black lung and asbestosis, where there will be a noticeable decline in quality of life before it ultimately kills you.

I will try testing it with mist, though. Especially since I've got a brand new humidifier that provides ample quantities of mist at just a touch above room temperature. I'd like to see just how much of a poor fit my beard causes.

Edit: Just tested my respirator. There definitely is a less secure fit with the full beard than there was when all I had was a trimmed goatee. But inhaling with the filters covered is still laborious to the point of discomfort, well beyond what a simple paper mask or something lesser would be. And I learned that my humidifier doesn't put out as much mist as I thought. It just looks like a lot...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Unruly The mist isn't just water, it has some type of noxious (but mostly harmless) chemical in it that you can taste/smell within seconds of being sprayed if you don't have a good seal.  The vapors that employees could have potentially been exposed to were potent enough that one breath at high enough concentrations were enough to knock a person out.  So when I say impressive I'm not really referring to your beard getting soaking wet, but the way in which you could immediately tell the seal was bad.

15 minutes ago, malefactus said:

OUTSTANDING! I now have an excuse for not buying an air brush...other than I am an old grouch & avoid all these new fangled doodads & gizmos.

I wasn't really considering buying one, but having a plausible reason is nice. Thanks a bunch, Auberon.

You could shave for your art? ::P:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Auberon said:

@Unruly The mist isn't just water, it has some type of noxious (but mostly harmless) chemical in it that you can taste/smell within seconds of being sprayed if you don't have a good seal.  The vapors that employees could have potentially been exposed to were potent enough that one breath at high enough concentrations were enough to knock a person out.  So when I say impressive I'm not really referring to your beard getting soaking wet, but the way in which you could immediately tell the seal was bad.

Said humidifier has an oil diffuser in it that works rather well. Now to find something liquid that reeks horribly, so that I can soak a cloth pad in it and hover over the mist in my respirator! I wonder if I still have any doe estrus urine in my hunting pack. It's been 4 years since I last went hunting, so it should be especially ripe...

• Like 2

So someone on Youtube did a video about a score of pre-primed unpainted Wizkids minis from China, and I somehow lucked out and snagged the last one I saw on ebay, a lot of 25 minis for 23$.

Now mind you the seller is counting individual minis and considers decor pieces as minis so it's not going to be 25 PC/encounter minis, but still for that price...

Sure hope I get some good stuff and it's not all like... treasure chests and wagon wheels....

• Like 2