6 minutes ago, Auberon said:

You could shave for your art? ::P:

...self mutilation is not my thing.

Actually all the rigmarole & complications involved,  along with a limited use, are enough to justify not owning one,

but I really liked the beard excuse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

You could shave for your art? ::P:

I agree with the others.  Nope nope, very much so not happening.  Too proud of my goatee. 

When I get an airbrush though, I'm still tempted to get a respirator as it will decrease inhalation of paint, with a slight increase in tasting my beard if I don't trim it.. 

But, like you said, I wouldn't be dealing with substances that can cause some serious repurcussions (sp?)....  And we won't comment about my handling of dangerous goods when I'm benching (bare handed use of acetone, no eye protection, no filters, aaaaand its in something that if you didn't put a fine enough mix of dry ice into (or you don't have enough dry ice and you put a load on the processor) it that Kingpin Cooling Dragon F1 (old gold mount) has a bad habit of atomizing half of the acetone you put in....   And we won't mention the somewhat unsafe "put head over top of said frozen anodized copper pot to hear how much it's sizzling to determine howich acetone is left method either.  Someone in health and safety is probably twitching by now... ::P:

I usually do have an open window within two feet though, does that count?  Doubly so if there's a fan pushing the fumes out the window? >.>;;;

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Back from Tokyo, which means ... yay ... I've got a lot of stuff. So, let's have a look.

I got me some materials. At that time it was pretty cheap in comparison to some stuff I can get in Germany, so I had to get it.

jykm-31u-5382.jpg

And, of course ... some miniatures. This time emphasis was laid on the KanColle miniatures. I don't like the game, but I like the minis. The rest was some random stuff I liked. (Of course some Valkyria Chronicles)

jykm-320-2816.jpg

jykm-321-64f8.jpg

jykm-322-e3bd.jpg

And now that we have got all the references, there are, of course, some kits for self assembly and painting ... Seeing @Auberonpainting his garage kit made me think of getting some cheap models myself for trying some new airbrush techniques.

jykm-31v-0678.jpg

Which brings me to the greatest catch I made. A 1/350 scale model of battleship Yamato. Normally you can get it in Germany for like 150 Euro. I got it for the equivalent of 25. Just because it was second hand and the manual was missing. Checked before I bought ... looked okay to me. So I bought it and downloaded the manual. Perfect.

jykm-31w-3c14.jpg

What else have we got? Some random stuff like sleeping masks ...

jykm-31y-16e3.jpg

A new poster for my room

jykm-31x-d3b1.jpg

And when I came back I noticed that in the meantime some packages had assembled at my room, containing ... some really cheap second hand kingdom death miniatures and some buildings for Infinity.

jykm-323-ea9e.jpg

jykm-324-fff8.jpg

jykm-325-583c.jpg

jykm-326-b2e3.jpg

Which leaves only one problem ... I need space.

• Like 17

I have my computer back! I hope...

Partner's computer had... issues. Research indicated it was the power supply, fan died and it caused overheating issues. Power supply was acquired and so was a new case because "reasons". Entire computer was reinstalled in new case with new power supply. Testing indicates the problem was in fact the power supply since it's been running smoothly in a test playthrough of Torchlight for several hours now.

I have not had my own computer for a week since it had been commandeered for background sounds via youtube videos, for acquiring parts to fix the other one, and for loading and running construction manuals. Because we seem to have misplaced the motherboard manual with all its "this cord goes here"...

New case is lit blue. Not quite Jedi blue. Also black aluminum.

• Like 12

66F1C8C7-CA9E-4B9E-ADE8-DEC6301C3235.thumb.jpeg.be9521c343e6856ee9b7835b4a76efa7.jpegNot an acquisition. More of a thing I did today.

Went to a model train expo and the hilight for me was a city made entirely of Legos, and a Red Rocket garage in scale with 28-32mm minis... or pretty darn close.

Plus a whole FallOut themed street.B7196A9B-2BA2-410B-972E-02CA56A5D1C0.thumb.jpeg.8bc32962dd2e083a3569f95e97426871.jpeg

I sooo wanted to game on that table.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, Unruly said:

Regarding compressors, Ken from Badger(the head of the company) has said that just about every major airbrush company and even the cheap ones source their compressors from the same manufacturers. The only major difference that you'll find on them other than the stickers is that the cheaper ones will probably be made with a few more plastic parts. Functionally, they're the same. They just may not last as long because it's possible that the piston is made of plastic instead of metal.

The fact that Ken is a straight shooter about stuff like that is one of the reasons why I like Badger as a company. He isn't afraid to say "It's all basically the same, you're mostly paying for the name and a warranty. We just hope you choose us."

It's not just the name brand you are paying for but the higher quality parts that a name company like Badger will specify.  You can rely on a company like Badger, who is being up front about their sourcing, to have higher specs and to follow up with inspection/quality control standards to ensure that their products consistently meet those specs.

The Chinese made products are getting better.  Part of it is a better understanding of what the customer will buy and keep on buying, and part of it is the bootstrap effect of an economy going from third world to first world standards and capabilities.

Japan went througha similar process after WWII.  They already knew what the market wanted but since their industrial capacity had been bsically been bombed back into the stone age [we won't get into the reaons why as that gets buzzy].  As the industrial base was restored they made better and more technically complex products.

Today, the Japanese make some of the finest and longest lasting machines to be had.  I fully expect our Ford Fusion, with a Mitsubishi designed and built V-6 engine will last us for at least 300,000 miles.

GEM

• Like 5

All of my acquisitions for today in one photo!

20181112_153403.thumb.jpg.8a9d645d3f77aedacfb01aaf8d65d78a.jpg

IKEA- 

Linnmon 47" desktop in black

2x Adils legs in black

Alex drawers in gray

Renberget chair

Hobby Town USA -

Nirvash Type Zero

Nirvash Type Zero Spec 2

Gundam Decal 1/144 Zeon Multiuse Gundam The Origin waterslides

As soon as I saw the two Nirvash kits, I snatched them up immediately. I dont care if they are 90-is percent identical. Eureka Seven is an amazing anime, and they have been on my list for a while. As soon as I grabbed them, I started looking for the Terminus R909 and R606 models to go with them. I never, ever, ever thought that I would find any of the Eureka Seven model kits in a store anywhere near here, so when I saw them I had to buy them. It also helped that they were priced at or below what I normally see them for online. I just wish that Bandai had made kits of both Nirvash Type Zero Spec 3 and Nirvash Type TheEnd as well.

The Gundam Decals are something I don't really need, but they're so hard to find that I will buy them whenever I can. It sucks that Bandai does a production rotation, but it means that even the specialized decal sheets that are like 20 years old still get produced. This sheet isn't one of those, but it's still something useful to have.

• Like 16

Ordered:

• Two Fallout 4 adult coloring books (one for myself and one for Sibling.)
  • A TARDIS mug for my mom for xmas.
  • A purse/wallet of holding for myself.

All from ThinkGeek, this is what I get for not having an adblocker on my phone.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Ordered:

• Two Fallout 4 adult coloring books (one for myself and one for Sibling.)
  • A TARDIS mug for my mom for xmas.
  • A purse/wallet of holding for myself.

All from ThinkGeek, this is what I get for not having an adblocker on my phone.

I've been on their mailing list since, uhm...  About two months after they opened.  Somehow, I've managed to not order anything from them, but now that certain constraints in finances aren't anywhere near what they used to be....  It's going to be hard to resist the call that's in my inbox every single day....

• Like 5

I returned from Gamehole con yesterday with new miniatures for frostgrave ghost archipelago (mostly just some animals) and Dracula's America (the Kin faction) also some evil treants  and a super friendly beholder from Impact. I also got a flumph and couple other random monsters from Pacesetter and I also picked up the Deep cut Modrons.

In non miniature related acquisitions I acquired Jeff Easley's signature on my 2nd edition monster manual. The best part though was that Jeff Butler was sitting next to him. I had gotten Jeff Butler's signature on the same book at Wizard World the year before, he drew a little dragon head with his name. When Jeff Easley opened up my book to sign it, he turned to Jeff Butler and said "The gauntlet has been thrown." and then drew a bigger dragon head in which to put his name under.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 5
  • Haha 8

My FLTS is clearing out their inventory of Mantics The Walking Dead products at 50% off.

They don’t have the wave that was just released, and I already had most of what I wanted, but I did find a few things worth getting.D0B6D267-F18E-48C4-9BB3-A0608732EE48.thumb.jpeg.26e451d82eff506d47c54083ac92c335.jpeg

Extra dice and prone minis are always handy for the game so I bought an extra box of each to add to what I already have.

The store had one copy of the infamous eeny meeny diorama which is no longer available from Mantic so I grabbed that.

Finally I bought an mdf prison tower and a couple sets of the chain link fence.

• Like 9

Ordered some accessories for my hot wire cutting table from ShiftingLands.  Better fence, circle cutter and shape cutters should make some fun for modeling and crafts with the kids.  

• Like 6