Got a Reaper order supposed to arrive today, but picked up a couple of minis at the FLGS. Sir Scale a Lot for me and a Unicorn for my g'niece. Nice surprise, she spent last night with us!

Well the Post Office came through, more CAV goodies, the BB Owlbear is very impressive, very nearly resin quality.

306Hrwq.jpg

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 9

Best bang per buck in the New Year:  Sedition Wars Battle for Alabaster game.  On vlearance at a department store for 12 bucks.  Thanks to my buddy Lee for posting it on FB.  That's 50 sci-fi minis.

20190104_174929.thumb.jpg.7cb3effe8cf1d1a7864f78c9668cc01f.jpg

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Talae said:

I also ordered a Sotar 20/20 and resisted also ordering a Krome. 

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm debating about whether to go all in (sotar and 105) or just the 105....

Thankfully I'll have time to work that out ^_^

Last year I got a 105, a Patriot Extreme, and a Krome. This year, it's Sotar or nothing for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Last year I got a 105, a Patriot Extreme, and a Krome. This year, it's Sotar or nothing for me.

I'm honestly debating which kind of airbrush I'd want if I did go in...  There's just a few options, to say the least... 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm honestly debating which kind of airbrush I'd want if I did go in...  There's just a few options, to say the least... 

I've debated ever since the time slot went live. Thing is, the one I'd get the Patriot 105 is only around 10 bucks cheaper then what I can find on the Big A. So I may just pass on the sale. Besides I can use the cash at Vegas next month.

Acquired today:

Reaper Bones: Young Fire dragon

Also got my Nolzur's order I did on New Year's Eve, along with my Secret Squirrel decal. Proudly now on my laptop!

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Here's a simplified rundown of the most popular brushes Badger makes. My experience with airbrushing is limited, because despite owning 4 I haven't taken much time to practice and do much more than just priming and base coating with them.

The Patriot 105 is generally considered Badger's workhorse dual-action brush. It's capable of doing just about everything in the right hands and with the right innards. It has needles available in multiple sizes(0.3mm, 0.5mm, and 0.7mm) so a needle and nozzle swap can allow you to use the same brush for all stages of painting from large area colors(0.7mm) to finer detail(0.3mm). During the birthday sale it ships with their Fine needle, which is what they call the 0.5mm needle. The other needles are available through Badger as conversion kits which come with the correct nozzle and tip for around $15.

The Patriot Extreme is largely the same as the 105 and can use all 105 parts, but it ships with the 0.3mm needle and has an extra air control screw built into the brush that, to my understanding, is supposed to allow for modified spray patterns. It also comes with a taller trigger, which I've seen a lot of people raving about and switching their other airbrushes to use as well because it apparently offers better control.

The Krome and the Sotar are both in the class of ultra-detail brushes. They use very fine 0.2mm needles. Both are considered to be advanced brushes meant for people who are already familiar with using other airbrushes, because as you go to smaller needles you run into more potential issues while painting if you don't know what you're doing. It's my understanding that they're both capable of the same things, but one will do certain things better than the other will. The Krome can be up sized to a 0.5mm needle as well, but I'm pretty sure the Sotar only has the 0.2mm needle available.

This, of course, doesn't touch on their single actions and siphon feed brushes, but those are generally rarer to see used for miniature and model painting outside of the bulk painting stuff like priming and base coating.

If you aren't sure what to get then I'd recommend a Patriot 105. It's not super fancy but it's versatile. It's also one of their generally cheaper brushes even without the sale, often being able to be found for around $70-75. It's $67 on Amazon right now, so the sale isn't exactly big on it like it is on some of the others.

The one thing I don't like about Badger is how they name their needles. They don't use the needle size in millimeters, they just call them things like "fine," "medium," and "heavy." Other companies, like Iwata, tell you the actual measurement of the needle.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2

My Midnight Heroes Chibis ordered at ReaperCon arrived today.

The shipped items are just as crisp and finely detailed as the samples they displayed at ReaperCon. :winkthumbs:

GEM

• Like 7

I wasn't planning on buying anything today, but I got a really good deal on a couple of Star Wars Legion mats, plus the Wookie box and some dice.  I also signed up for a 4 week league, so I suppose I need to learn how to play and actually paint some minis in the next week for it.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

The Sotar is my goto brush for everything right now.  I got it on sale and is one of the easiest I have for both use and for cleanup (compared to a iwata and a harbor freight brush, it never fouls).  Note, I'm no expert, I do mostly terrain and basecoating with some work on eldar and space marine detail work.  

As a side note, my Sotar came with 3 needles, fine medium and course.  I think they are 5, 3 and 2 mm but I wouldn't swear it...

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

My Midnight Heroes Chibis ordered at ReaperCon arrived today.

The shipped items are just as crisp and finely detailed as the samples they displayed at ReaperCon. :winkthumbs:

GEM

Cool, hopefully my son will see his soon!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

The Sotar is my goto brush for everything right now.  I got it on sale and is one of the easiest I have for both use and for cleanup (compared to a iwata and a harbor freight brush, it never fouls).  Note, I'm no expert, I do mostly terrain and basecoating with some work on eldar and space marine detail work.  

As a side note, my Sotar came with 3 needles, fine medium and course.  I think they are 5, 3 and 2 mm but I wouldn't swear it...

I think you may be right. I looked on Amazon after making my post about the brushes, just to see what the savings on a Sotar would be through the sale, and I saw the 3-in-1 set that has 3 different needles. Of course, the sale model only comes with the smallest needle, but I have other brushes for everything else so I'm fine with that.

Just ordered a big bottle of Iwata airbrush cleaner and Createx airbrush reducer.

• Like 3

Metallic Coloured Pencils, a sharpener/eraser.

Resin Water Effect Kit

Marsh Blend Fine Flock

Milliput

Silicone Molds for Koi Fish

Silicone Mold for Horseshoe Crab

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0168.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0170.JPG

• Like 14

Got my order in for a Sotar, added in the quick disconnect cable with water trap and a male connector. Since I'll be up to 3 brushes (I have a 105 and my wife's aunt gave me her 155. I have a couple of the really old Testors one too, but I don't really count them) it's time for quick disconnects.

Also picked up some Liquidex white ink to try out, and more bluetac for masking.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Got my order in for a Sotar, added in the quick disconnect cable with water trap and a male connector. Since I'll be up to 3 brushes (I have a 105 and my wife's aunt gave me her 155. I have a couple of the really old Testors one too, but I don't really count them) it's time for quick disconnects.

Also picked up some Liquidex white ink to try out, and more bluetac for masking.

Was it for the birthday sale? If so, are they running the whole thing through email again this year or did the response email take you to their webstore to actually buy stuff that way? I saw two sets of posts they made on Facebook where one mentioned the emails but another made mention of links to the webstore for birthday sale items, so I'm curious how they're handling it.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Was it for the birthday sale? If so, are they running the whole thing through email again this year or did the response email take you to their webstore to actually buy stuff that way? I saw two sets of posts they made on Facebook where one mentioned the emails but another made mention of links to the webstore for birthday sale items, so I'm curious how they're handling it.

They were having some email issues so they posted the link on fb.  I got the original auto-response from email. But used the posted link to do the order.

• Like 3