1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I used the thread seal tape on each one. Had to use a darn lot of it. The regulator is a separate piece. Lots of tape needed to get the rotation such that it was oriented in the right direction. How often will I need to take a break? Only intend to be doing large base coats and primers on the megamonsters, really. 

Most motors that don't carry a specific industrial rating, with a proportionally higher price tag for longer duty cycles, are designed for a 20% duty cycle, that being four minutes off for every one minute on.

You can run such motors for longer continuous periods of time but that is when you start getting heat buildup.  They are usually equipped with a thermal cutout to prevent terminal heat overload but by the time these activate things are usually "cooking" to the point where cases will be very warm to the touch and you may be smelling some "industrial" odors.

To extend the duty cycle without interruption keep your air pressures as low as will do the job.

GEM

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Serenity said:

@Unruly  When airbrushing, is there some reason an airbrush compressor is better than a shop compressor?  Is it the lower noise and smaller size (generally) or are there other reasons to get one?  Seems like you've done some research on it, so thought I'd ask.  I'm also wondering if a refillable air tank could serve as a source for an airbrush.

You can use a shop compressor just fine. You just need to crank the pressure way down on the regulator and have the right adapters. And, depending on your shop compressor, you need to absolutely make sure you have a minimum of at least one moisture trap on the line. Larger shop compressors, and even some smaller ones, are oiled compressors and they can and will introduce small quantities of oil into the air line as part of their normal operation. Not a problem for air tools, but a problem for painting. I mean, you want at least one moisture trap no matter what, because compressed air holds moisture that will condense out in the line, but with an oiled compressor it's even more imperative.

The big advantages of airbrush compressors are noise level and size. Most single piston airbrush compressors don't get louder than about 50dB. A "quiet" shop compressor is around 75dB, with most regular ones being in the 90-100dB range. Since dB is logarithmic rather than linear, even that quiet shop compressor is like 3x louder than the airbrush compressor. And then there's the fact that most airbrush compressors will easily fit under a desk with room for your feet still, while I'm not aware of any shop compressors that small.

So it's a trade between utility and noise/size. If you don't care about noise and you've got the space, honestly, a shop compressor is the way to go. If I could do it, I would and I wouldn't look back because you can run an airbrush for a long time on a $100 5-gallon Porter Cable compressor. But every time it turns on its going to rattle the house at 105dB...

As for refillable tanks, they can work, but you end up running into the same issues as those pre-filled aerosol cans that you can find as an "entry level" airbrushing setup. They start off fine, but they lose pressure and go pfffft after a while so you have to pay attention to your in-tank pressure so you know when it's about to crap out on you. Then it's off to go fill them again...

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Corsair said:

A dedicated airbrush compressor puts out a much lower pressure than a shop compressor. Even my small tank compressor will put out 75psi, far higher than needed for airbrushing, so you have to use a regulator on the larger ones.

The best way to set up for using a shop size compressor for airbrushing is to use a "surge tank" in the system right ahead of your airbrush pressure regulator.

Put a drop down regulator with a dryer on the inlet side of the surge tank to get you into the needed pressure range.  The reason for this is to allow more precise pressure regulation for the airbrush, which is much more sensitive to small pressure changes than something like an impact wrench. Remember to drain your dryers on a regular basis as well as the surge tank every time you drain the dryers.

GEM

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I may have to send you a fountain pen kit!

Is there a specific wood you would like with that? ::D:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The best way to set up for using a shop size compressor for airbrushing is to use a "surge tank" in the system right ahead of your airbrush pressure regulator.

Put a drop down regulator with a dryer on the inlet side of the surge tank to get you into the needed pressure range.  The reason for this is to allow more precise pressure regulation for the airbrush, which is much more sensitive to small pressure changes than something like an impact wrench. Remember to drain your dryers on a regular basis as well as the surge tank every time you drain the dryers.

GEM

It really boils down to what you want.  The best setup I had was in the place I never go anymore.  In that house I had a compressor in a detached garage piped to the basement of the house with a 20 gal tank on the house end and a 100 gal tank on the garage end (I didn't build it, it came with the house!)

Unlimited air for the airbrush and pneumatic house controls and a full compressor for any repair activities out in the garage.  

Aaaand I never really used any of it.  You never known what you miss until you don't have it any more.

If you are just using an airbrush, just buy a good artists compressor and be happy.  If you have the shop and money to burn, go for the industrial compressor but make sure you get a big enough air tank to let the compressor rest between fills.  And be prepared for some changes to your electrical bill; compressed air is not a cheap resource.

• Like 8

I'm uhh... doing this in the kitchen. >.> My paint station is in my kitchen. No garage for me! 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Is there a specific wood you would like with that? ::D:

If you ever decide to do custom orders, let me know! I might get a specific piece from Pen State.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm uhh... doing this in the kitchen. >.> My paint station is in my kitchen. No garage for me! 

If you haven't, you may want to look into one of the portable airbrush stations, to catch and filter the spray. Would minimize the amount of particulate floating around the kitchen. Mine has built in LED lights which are nice.

The fans aren't quiet though.  You can find them all over amazon.

I'm running a small shop type compressor which is sitting under my table (has a small tank,  but wouldn't want to run any real air tools off of it (I have a big one for that) they go on sale at Canadian Tire all the time).

I wouldn't want to airbrush with it while anyone was sleeping, but once I stopped jumping every time the compressor kicked in it has worked fine. I could use a better regulator but haven't gotten to that yet.  I tend to run a little higher pressures than what a lot of folks do (20-25 psi) which may help with that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

If you ever decide to do custom orders, let me know! I might get a specific piece from Pen State.

Sent you a PM.  I don't do "work" but I am always willing to cut  a pen for friends!

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I would get one of the collapsible stations and an airbrush station for the storage capabilities.  you could store the whole thing in a Rubbermaid container with your airbrush paints and just pull it out at need.  you can get used to the industrial air compressors coming on and off but the cost is not particularly better and, unless you have  a need for more compressed air, they wont do anything more for you.  Also, as the compressor gets older and wears, the smaller compressor is much less likely to trip your circuit breaker if there is a starting issue. ::o:.  My garage compressor will do this if the compressor gets too hot.  its not a big deal but I don't know where your breakers are...

• Like 6

Having pulled the trigger earlier this week on Caliban, I am now only several days away from possessing all three of the Grenadier Master Wizards series box sets...

4401 Osric the Wise, Abjurer

569px-G-clords-4401-01.jpg

4402 Mighty Malvolio, Necromancer

G-clords-4402.jpg

4403 Caliban the Invoker

G-clords-4403.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

Placed a Wizkids order with Game Kastle this morning or afternoon actually (hey was when I woke up after work!!! ::D:). They said they would have 'em on the 9th but they wouldn't have allot due to not that many preorders placed.

D&D Nolzurs Marvelous Unpainted Minis: Treant (PREORDER) 
WizKids Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Timber Wolves (PREORDER) 
D&D Nolzurs Marvelous Unpainted Minis: Male Tabaxi Rogues (2) (PREORDER)
WizKids Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Pack Mule (1) (PREORDER)
D&D Nolzurs Marvelous Unpainted Minis: Carrion Crawler (1) (PREORDER)
D&D Nolzurs Marvelous Unpainted Minis: Male Goliath Fighters (2) (PREORDER)
WizKids Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Cage & Chains 
D&D Nolzurs Marvelous Unpainted Minis: Drow 

Mostly a preorder but I needed the cage & the Drow may be a player's PC. He liked the Reaper Werner Klocke elf paladin figure, but he felt it didn't fit his character concept.

• Like 9

Acquired - my $70 rebate card for my winter tires. I will be using it to pay for a 2 year renewal of my car registration.

• Like 9

Reaper order in!

77495: Saproling Warrior $2.99 x2
03929: Drangus, Duckman Warrior $9.29 x1
03924: Trilladour, Catfolk Bard $6.99 x1
14204: Acacia,Crusaders Sergeant $4.99 x1
14427: Burrowing Zombie $4.99 x1
02661: Dern Ironfist $4.99 x1
03340: Cassie, Female Gnome Wizard $4.99 x1

Your order has received 1x Reaper Bones Black Owlbear

Looking forward to "Mr Black"! ::):

Vegas minis: Saprolings will be Vine Blights. Trilladour is a pregen bard. Acacia will be sacrificed to the melt bucket but her shield will live on anther mini. (cheaper then a weapon pack) Burrowing zombie will be a bog mummy encounter (thanks to @TheAuldGrump for the suggestion!)

Non-Vegas: Drangus will be painted in Oregon Ducks color (I mean come on!).  Dern & Cassie are figures I know I have but where, I have no idea. Both are player minis. 

Also final prepaints for Vegas adventure ordered as well:

Quasit (Rage of Demons) yaun-ti warlock pregen's familiar

Orc (sword) - Tomb of Annihilation #8b
Mirt, Human Rogue - Waterdeep Dragon Heist #10 
Drow Scout - Rage of Demons #13
Orc - Monster Menagerie #13
Imp - Monster Menagerie #2 
Orc (axe) - Tomb of Annihilation #8a
Noble (white jacket) - Waterdeep Dragon Heist #05A 
Orc (Warhammer) - Monster Menagerie 2 #7
Rock Gnome Female Wizard - Tyranny of Dragons #1 
Orog Orc Fighter - Tyranny of Dragons #14 x 2
Bryn Lightfingers, Halfling - Monster Menagerie #21

Sadly, allot of these were metal or unpainted minis. I've just haven't been up to painting for Vegas so prepaints it is.

• Like 5

I gots a Reaper order

77113 Eldritch Demon

77274 Red Dragon Hatchling (poorly cast, feet is snapped off, is made of mold lines, makes me <_< )

77324 Frost Devil

77522 Mi-go

77525 Cthulhu Obelisk

77565 Kyphrixis

89040 Herald of Razmir

1 free owlbear

• Like 5
  • Sad 2