Got my da Vinci watercolor series 35 size 3 brush in today; my third one. They seem to last about a year for me. The old one will now become my base coat brush, reserving the new one for details.

• Like 9

so here's a picture of my last acquisition. Cannot wait to build the dragon:) Somehow I left out dragnus Duck warrior from the picture:(

IMG_0027.thumb.jpeg.37e79c3894f4d005e2d4495f16c82cb5.jpeg 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

No pics, but I got my new car Friday evening. A 2018 Toyota RAV4 LE hybrid (base model).

Having access to a car broker, I got the model I wanted, with a set of wheel mounted winter tires (Yokohama), for about $1.5K-3K less than the local car dealerships, with the caveat that I had to go get it near Montreal (an 8 hour bus ride). It gave me a good excuse to see my brother, do a bit of shopping, and get a leg up on breaking in my car.

I haven't bought a new car in 11 years, it's a amazing to see everything that's now considered standard equipment on some vehicles. Backup camera, heated seats, lane assist warning, automatic high beams, real time fuel consumption, etc.

Are those Yokohama Ice Guard?  

They're getting decent score in tests here in Norway, but get a minus for excessive noise and slightly longer brake distances. 

I would probably have gone for the Nokian Hakkapelitta 9 if I wanted to buy new tires this winter.   

(Unless the tire shop I use reccommends something else, of course. My car needs tires with stronger sidewall, so not all standard tires works well)   

Note to all; Winter tires have a softer rubber mix than summer tires, and the reccommended lifespan is no more than 5 years, 6 at the most. 

Forget about driving them as long as there's enough depth to the thread pattern. When the rubber ages it hardens and you lose handling and grip. 

Which also explains why 'all year' tires is an impossibility...  

Heated seats have been standard here on all cars since the last ice age or about then. It's also one of the first things that break on a car.   

Lane assist and automatic high-beams are coming here, too, and yeah, I hate it.   

(Lane assist requires visible lane markings...   )

Two sets of tires used to be standard here, too. 

Now some companies are advertising it as if it's something new...

Heated wing mirrors is nice in the winter. That was also standard on my ancient car...   

In other news, I just finished this month's tithe to Reaper;

A whole load of Jade, a Catfolk Barbarian and  a Zodiac mini. 

That put me over the limit for a free Owlbear!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Are those Yokohama Ice Guard?  

They're getting decent score in tests here in Norway, but get a minus for excessive noise and slightly longer brake distances. 

Note to all; Winter tires have a softer rubber mix than summer tires, and the reccommended lifespan is no more than 5 years, 6 at the most. 

Forget about driving them as long as there's enough depth to the thread pattern. When the rubber ages it hardens and you lose handling and grip. 

Which also explains why 'all year' tires is an impossibility...  

Heated seats have been standard here on all cars since the last ice age or about then. It's also one of the first things that break on a car.   

Lane assist and automatic high-beams are coming here, too, and yeah, I hate it.   

(Lane assist requires visible lane markings...   )

Heated wing mirrors is nice in the winter. That was also standard on my ancient car...   

Not sure what model tires I have... yet. It's too cold outside for me to even care.

Less grip on older winter tires, even when the tread wear is good? Hmm, hadn't heard about that one, but it does make me wonder about my last car. 11 year old tires, and they did *feel* less grippy while driving. And I lost control on a slip, which led to the accident, and the new car. (i.e. Now he tells me! :grr:)

As for lane assist, when I discovered I had it, I turned it on. As it turns out, my car drives so smoothly that as soon as I looked away (as I was fiddling with my new sound system), it easily drifted one way or the other by barely leaning on the steering wheel. Something that never happened in my last car. Then again, this was in the first three hours of me owning my car, as I was still getting a feel for it. After ten hours of driving, I was properly staying in my lane even without the warning. But with dirty, snowy roads, the system is hit or miss.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the automatic high beams, turns out it works surprisingly well.

I don't know if I have heated mirrors. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I haven't read the manual yet. Again, because it's too cold to go outside and get it. I may have a ton of other small features I'm not aware of yet, though I think I got all of the major ones.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8

The super cheap pack of synthetic brushes I ordered on Amazon just turned up, I'll give one a go tonight to make sure they're not total garbage but I'm mainly going to be giving these out at a "miniature painting taster evening" I've been asked to do for the local "man-free gaming club" they normally do board games and stuff but a few of them expressed an interest in miniature painting so I'll be doing that next Tuesday- any tips on how to ease in newbies gratefully received

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Not sure what model tires I have... yet. It's too cold outside for me to even care.

Less grip on older winter tires, even when the tread wear is good? Hmm, hadn't heard about that one, but it does make me wonder about my last car. 11 year old tires, and they did *feel* less grippy while driving. And I loss control on a slip, which led to accident, and the new car. (i.e. Now he tells me! :grr:)

I don't know if I have heated mirrors. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I haven't read the manual yet. Again, because it's too cold to go outside and get it. I may have a ton of other small features I'm not aware of yet, though I think I got all of the major ones.

On some cars the heating is found on a little dial knob you use to control which mirror you adjust(on cars with electric wing mirrors) 

On mine it's connected to the same switch as the heated rear window. 

I most often use it when driving into tunnels in the winter. When you go from cold, dry outside air to the warmer, moist air in the tunnel the mirrors fogs over in no time flat. 

The tire industry generally reccommends 5 - 7 years because the rubber composition changes over time. 

Here's an old blog articly by some bloke probably in england, about how winter tires work;

https://ralphhosier.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/winter-tyres-the-truth/

He doesn't go into the issue of aging, though.  

And also doesn't deal with studded vs. non-studded tires.

(I only use studded winter tires. )

If you don't live in an area where they allow studded tires, I would really, really reccommend getting a set of 'AutoSocks' for your car.   

They really do provide grip on wet ice. (But get the real branded stuff, not the copies.)   

54 minutes ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

The super cheap pack of synthetic brushes I ordered on Amazon just turned up, I'll give one a go tonight to make sure they're not total garbage but I'm mainly going to be giving these out at a "miniature painting taster evening" I've been asked to do for the local "man-free gaming club" they normally do board games and stuff but a few of them expressed an interest in miniature painting so I'll be doing that next Tuesday- any tips on how to ease in newbies gratefully received

Do you have the LTPKs?    

I would suggest getting the first kit, and also a bunch extra of the minis in the kits.    

And possibly telling the nice people at Reaper that you're going to run a 'Paint & Take'.    

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Do you have the LTPKs?    

I would suggest getting the first kit, and also a bunch extra of the minis in the kits.    

And possibly telling the nice people at Reaper that you're going to run a 'Paint & Take'.    

I don't have the LTPK's, I'm just doing this for a friend and payment is in cake, so I spent ~£3 on the brushes but I don't really want to spend much more if I can avoid it! The paints I was just going to use my own and for minis I have a bunch of GW sprues that I was given for free (OHs friend runs the local store these were leftover from some promotion) 

I did look at the Paint and Take options but I couldn't find them on the EU site and it seems like they require some sort of advertising space for Reaper which I wouldn't be able to provide as this isn't like a convention or anything it's just ~15 people meeting in a board game cafe. This is def something that I might consider running for our local games fair in October though I think it's probably much more suited to that (Though even that I don't remember having a programme so I'm still not sure how the advertising space thing would work with that) 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

so here's a picture of my last acquisition. Cannot wait to build the dragon:) Somehow I left out dragnus Duck warrior from the picture:(

IMG_0027.thumb.jpeg.37e79c3894f4d005e2d4495f16c82cb5.jpeg 

That's an awesome Dragon isn't it?

I want one.

It also reminds me a bit of Terronus from Grenadier.

They could be cousins.

image.png.13af908bd46c7ef2b86ba9c7963e885e.png

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That's an awesome Dragon isn't it?

I want one.

It also reminds me a bit of Terronus from Grenadier.

They could be cousins.

image.png.13af908bd46c7ef2b86ba9c7963e885e.png

Oh gods! Terronus.

Yes yes. I know. I know.

I see through your not so subtle hounding Glitterwolf.

I’ll get round to painting mine. Stop rushing me.

I’ve only had the darned thing for 30-40 years.

It’s not a race, y’know.

<_<

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Got my rewards from the Overrunners KS today.

KS_pledge.thumb.jpg.45c319a63812dfa6eee2b74488bcb692.jpg

Showing all the fancy bits is the Jeip, the 3 man crew are in the bag at the top left. Top right is a one man jet bike. Far right is the 2 man jet bike. And the lighter fellow at the bottom is the sniper, a bonus fig from the kickstarter.

The castings look very clean.  I was limited on funds when this was running; hopefully he will have them up for retail in the future.

• Like 9

I tried and failed to place an Ikea order for their Kallax sale. Their site is dumb. Errors left and right all weekend long. I even tried to call the local store (that doesn't even have a public facing phone number other than the 1-888 number).

I gave up after spending way more time trying than I should have...on way more devices than I should have.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Got the ver 1.0 files for the Mav3rick 3D printed customizable tank system KS last night. Will be printing components all day....

Jelly. Haven’t had the chance to download yet, much less kick the printer on.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Jelly. Haven’t had the chance to download yet, much less kick the printer on.

I'll have pics over in my WIP later.

• Like 6

Today I wasted $500 on a new spring mattress and other non-essentials.  

My old spring mattress was showing its age, with ripped fabric and a couple of broken springs, so it was time to get a new one. 

The old was 10 years old, and the bed was something I just threw together of 8" x 3/4" boards, with a bottom of roughly planed boards.   

The new mattress(Dreamzone B20) is a 'framed' type, so with the addition of a headboard and some legs, it became a proper piece of furniture. 

And to top it off, I added a Wellpur Eggen memory foam pillow.  

*Sigh*

Imagine the minis I could have bought with that money...    

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1