Kendal

To Varnish or Not To Varnish?

18 posts in this topic

Hi! Been a while since I have posted, but I ran into an issue with Bones. I have always gloss varnish and after it has cures I then use a matte varish to seal my models. When I did this with bones, my model is sticky, and the paint can chip due to this. Any tips, I just made some tweaks to this guy and want him to last.

20170805_164739.jpg

20170805_164745.jpg

What brands are you using?

I also varnish with semigloss reaper brush-on sealer, then use testors dullcote spray matte varnish and NEVER have problems. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Assuming you used spray varnish, spraying directly on your Bones was the problem.  Many spray paints, varnish included, react with the plastic the Bones are made with, and cause the paint to become tacky. 

Jist as aside note, I never heard of using varnish as a primer before.  Why not just use a primer?

You might want to read this if you haven't done so before:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

Edited by Chris Palmer

Reaper 09107 Brush-on Sealer is absolutely magnificent.  I finally got some to try out and I was amazed how good it is.  Which is nice, since I have to put it on like 200 things.

I will look into reapers brush on and testers. I have never used varnish as a primer. I do use krylon spray varnishes. The reason for sealing with gloss first is to protect the colors from being too matte when the matte is applied.

I use Reaper's Gloss Sealer as my first sealer coat and haven't had any problems.  Liquitex's varnishes, on the other hand, have turned tacky on my in the past.  Due to my climate and general paranoia, I never use sprays to seal my minis any more.

I have never used a brush on seal. You just blob it on?

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Kendal said:

No. You use an older brush and just lightly brush on the whole figure, covering the whole surface. 

ETA: make sure your paint has had an hour or two to dry before applying as the brush on sealer becomes tacky for a few minutes and will pull paint up if you don't 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

If you are using varnish as a primer, you will run into problems.  Sealers are not primers, and they will not allow the paint to properly adhere to the model.  I believe Wren did some trials with no primer-primer-sealant options (see The First Coat Makes All The Difference thread).

I either don't prime Bones figures, or (more recently) have used Badger's airbrush primer with good results.

I have sealed bones minis with Reaper's Brush-on Matte Sealer, and have had no troubles.

5 minutes ago, Kendal said:

You'll want to smooth it out some so it's a nice, even layer but I haven't been especially precise about applying it.  I don't quite glob it on, but I'm not picky about it so long as I get coverage.  The real key is to smooth it out evenly and thinly, so if you do wind up with a bit of a glob then work it around a bit to spread it out.  This will let it dry reasonably quickly and evenly, so you won't have to worry about it doing any weird stuff like turning cloudy. (I did blob some on a test mini to see if it clouded and it did not)  09107 dries pretty matte, with only a very slight sheen.  I expected it to be much, much shinier. 

It's very easy to work with, it has a nice consistency so once you start putting it on you won't have any trouble.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

Assuming you used spray varnish, spraying directly on your Bones was the problem.  Many spray paints, varnish included, react with the plastic the Bones are made with, and cause the paint to become tacky. 

Jist as aside note, I never heard of using varnish as a primer before.  Why not just use a primer?

47 minutes ago, Kendal said:

. I have never used varnish as a primer. I do use krylon spray varnishes. The reason for sealing with gloss first is to protect the colors from being too matte when the matte is applied.

Sorry, my mistake.  I was confused by the fact you showed pictures of an unpainted mini; so I assumed you were talking about applying the varnish directly to it as a primer.   

Edited by Chris Palmer

You can actually use Brush-On Sealer as a primer for Bones™ - it's acrylic medium, I've used it on the translucents on some of my testing.  I prefer to use it to dilute the liners so that the color isn't quite so intense, but you can use it untinted if you must.

But, honestly, if you're doing that then just don't prime - pretty much the same effect.

1 person likes this

OKAY! So to seal my bones I have used my new Reaper's matte sealer without any trouble. In fact, I didn't even notice it dulling the colors down like the spray krylon does. Also there is no sticky effect. So when sealing your plastic, metal, and resin minis, in my preference and from what I have gathered works, when using a spray use a gloss coat first, let it cure, and then do a matte coat. For the bones, SIMPLY USE REAPER'S brush on. This mystery is solved for me. I hope this thread helps some other folks.

3 people like this

i have nothing constructive to add except that i can't unsee your converted mini as Jamie from mythbusters and i love it.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, spoonz202 said:

i have nothing constructive to add except that i can't unsee your converted mini as Jamie from mythbusters and i love it.

LOL!!!