So we fought with four aircraft, people from the Star Fleet Battles group.  It was a fun fast time.  No pictures this time around as I was busy checking rules/ answering questions. Next time though. All gaming concepts were easy to pickup by everyone.  The home owner's wife, (a Fantasy Gamer), said she could readily understand what was going on.  The husband on the other hand is in hot water since he shot her down early in the battle.  Some mention of sleeping in the garage or something to that effect.  Stay tuned.

I believe this is what X-Wing's rules set was based on.  I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Have you seen any P-38's?  

1 hour ago, Unit04 said:

I believe this is what X-Wing's rules set was based on.  I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Have you seen any P-38's?  

Not as yet, but the Beaufighter is one nasty plane to go against, as the Germans just found out.  Report will follow.

The WW1 version is even better in my opinion, the planes are slower so there's a lot more maneuvering 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Beagle said:

The WW1 version is even better in my opinion, the planes are slower so there's a lot more maneuvering 

The other similar choice that I've played far too much is Blue Max. We used to play that regularly with 1:72 models and radio aerials for altitude at the miniatures group.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

The other similar choice that I've played far too much is Blue Max. We used to play that regularly with 1:72 models and radio aerials for altitude at the miniatures group.

You mean like a telescoping aerial?  Because I never thought of that until now, but it sounds awesome. 

10 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

You mean like a telescoping aerial?  Because I never thought of that until now, but it sounds awesome. 

Exactly. You need rules where the number of height categories match the number of sections on your aerial for best use, so they work well for Blue Max. Used to be really easy to pick them up at Radio Shack, but I don't know how easy they would be to find now. Perhaps in a thrift store?

I’ve seen commercially available flight stands  with telescoping rods.  Not sure who makes them, but a little bit of goggle work should locate them. Saves having to scrounge for old radios.  :)

Also I just saw a Kickstarter today called Tripods and Triplanes that introduces Martian Tripods, ala War of The Worlds, for the Wings of War game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 January, 2018: Pacific Battle

An Australian Bristol Beaufighter MK.IF supporting an USN Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless were on a mission to bomb a plant on a Japanese held Island.  1.thumb.JPG.8e7e67b0a881673aabd1cdc4412b5055.JPG2.thumb.JPG.b26c2e0342bc1b4d80462687983d261e.JPGThe video recon plane arrived late and so captured the battle in progress.  The Allies encountered two Nakajima KI-84 Hayate on C.A.P. (Combat Air Patrol).  One from the 52 Sendai and the other was piloted by Fujimoto.  3.thumb.JPG.9397bf3dd944fbce3fb2adad2862966b.JPG4.thumb.JPG.364621d200c6ca0eec9cd5f1b6e14a68.JPG

The Beaufighter has immense fire power but it has difficulty maneuvering.  It could not maintain formation when the KI-84s moved in.  My primary function was to get the bombs on target so I fought minimally concentrating on lining up with the target, which is visible in the third and fifth photo just to the right of the Beaufighter.  5.thumb.JPG.11887aedb2fa14423dc3e6a5476d32a0.JPGI elected to drop just the 2- 250lb. bombs being my first bombing sortie.  They did hit the target but I would have to come around to drop the 500lb. bomb.  In the mean time the Beaufighter was attempting to get back into the fight but it does not have a good turn radius.  6.thumb.JPG.8fff4e0aec35c1cdc70bf01eb2c763d0.JPGI on the other hand had to contend with both fighters and the damage was mounting quickly.  7.thumb.JPG.14ced66dc4bd41ffc33508521ce5cbcd.JPGI was hitting both planes especially the 52 Sendai plane.  In photo eight we hit the limit and went down.  8.thumb.JPG.9c65ad6dd53a7df6dacd1c17043932fb.JPGThe Beaufighter finally returned to the fight and downed the 52 Sendai (Her Husband- pay back) 9.thumb.JPG.001041f40ab8800d2e214a115ed82846.JPG10.thumb.JPG.50315cf36301fb15387c9f03bbd18cdb.JPGbut Fujimoto got the jump on the Aussie and took her down.   11.thumb.JPG.fbd3683477a1f95a8d32ff06d50cd3fe.JPGRather interesting how Fujimoto skirted most of the action, jumping in at critical moments.

• Like 2

Southwestern Pacific
Kokutai 601st.

Today’s Combat Air Patrol (C.A.P.) mission is over several islands in the Solomon’s Chain. I was flying a Yokosuka D4Y3 Suisei, armed with the standard machine guns and 2- 250 lb. bombs.  It was late morning when I spotted a Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (Pilot: Raymond) approachingDSCI0067.thumb.JPG.d18a3df4dd97e14fddcb6945f3458afa.JPG, probably looking for targets of opportunity, beginning to maneuver for an attack run.DSCI0068.JPG.2bfd5b548308420594005aa16102b466.JPGDSCI0069.JPG.7fa6084e317d1a3c45dfbbca67976a67.JPGDSCI0070.thumb.JPG.beeee4f51f4508d6eab30a898c1ee3dc.JPGDSCI0071.thumb.JPG.e8a38e9df2daa8834d2d990b08d714e7.JPGDSCI0072.thumb.JPG.2125519d2adff25d187d47ffb0b7b1d8.JPG  Knowing I was far out gunned I opted for evasive maneuvers.  DSCI0073.thumb.JPG.f015b0b311ce3dc1da212796568b4f9b.JPGDSCI0074.JPG.a8740dbadceccc799af56671005b70ca.JPGDSCI0075.thumb.JPG.9ea964db76dd08da44db5a36f1fae0c5.JPGDSCI0076.thumb.JPG.8e0661b4f6efacc8326709cba9f45b80.JPGDSCI0077.thumb.JPG.8dd99d417974a4fcd31d146b8f81b2b4.JPGDSCI0078.thumb.JPG.862fcde75b89f7a518fd3244fd7bf0f6.JPGThis action kept him off guard but continually put him in my rear firing arc, I was hitting him but he was never able to get into a firing position. DSCI0079.thumb.JPG.30db148cb3a09d62fd3b0398598bdc3e.JPGDSCI0080.thumb.JPG.ca9d57183dc3f8d288e741957046da7f.JPGDSCI0081.thumb.JPG.89b24ad21cc87b0c1480c5aea3666667.JPGDSCI0082.thumb.JPG.0991ccc5a366270074be01b4aabc4887.JPG The battle did not last long as I had a very fortunate shot which caused him to explode and go down in flames.DSCI0083.thumb.JPG.287791abc919e8ade59d5080eef76bc3.JPG  The Tail Gunner kept us alive this day, as the American planes continue to out pace us in quality and durability.

Edited by Watchman
Picture order correction.