72 posts in this topic

c7ccf50cf31f0b2c6c65289afe4636c5524bbdd0

Lapis is my most favorite; that gold flake REALLY nailed it! And the eyes fit so perfectly! :wub:  I can't tell, what's on the horns? More gold flake, or something else?

Opal is so beautifully shimmery! And I didn't notice the tongue before, it's a lovely touch! Onyx is coming along quite nicely as well! ^_^

What will the green head be? Malachite? Also, I'm not familiar with whatever mineral Siddie is, but he looks cool!

Keep up the AWESOME work!! :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

4 people like this

Great!!

Very cool! Keep it up!

'Siddie' is intended to be mahogany obsidian, a reddish volcanic glass that frequently has black flecks. Or shows up as flashes of red in otherwise black glass - it's gorgeous stuff. Tricky to reproduce, but I think I may have managed.

Lapis' horns did get a shot of the same gold flake stuff I used on his face. It's actually not flake, it's PearlEx powder, Sunset Gold. Applied pretty liberally with the help of some medium; it was kind of fun to do. A dibble here, a blot there... The black spots are dots of .. actually, a pen, which .. has .. vanished into the abyss of my desk. It's a 05 micron, I think, and I don't recommend them, they smear when glazed over if you're not careful.

And now I have to figure out how to pack him so I can take him and paint in public for a few hours. Hah. Hah, hah, hah... *thump*

6 people like this

Go, go Sylverthorne!!  I'm fascinated by what you're doing and hopefully now that we're not camping I'll be able to keep up.  Best wishes for healthy hands and eyes, it's a big beastie to paint! 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

The black spots are dots of .. actually, a pen, which .. has .. vanished into the abyss of my desk. It's a 05 micron, I think, and I don't recommend them, they smear when glazed over if you're not careful.

It pains me that this dark day has come, but... you broke Rule #3.  Ink is treated as paint and thus must be applied with the brush.  The micron pen, and I say this with a mix of horror and sadness, is a disqualification.  I decided to tell you now instead of at the end so you don't bust yourself up trying to beat the clock.

I am so very, very sorry but I'm afraid there's no way around the pen breaking Rule 3.

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

It pains me that this dark day has come, but... you broke Rule #3.  Ink is treated as paint and thus must be applied with the brush.  The micron pen, and I say this with a mix of horror and sadness, is a disqualification.  I decided to tell you now instead of at the end so you don't bust yourself up trying to beat the clock.

I am so very, very sorry but I'm afraid there's no way around the pen breaking Rule 3.

Bwah?

Interesting. I hadn't even considered that (and somehow, I managed to miss the pen thing), because of the tiny point. Oh well.

I'm disappointed, a little, but I will still attempt to finish, because I'm stubborn like that; personal challenge, something, something ...

Also, I'm almost done. So .. Pftbbt.

8 people like this

Oooooh Sylverthorne, I'm so sorry!!!! :down:

Good on you for finishing him up anyways, though, he's coming along so beautifully!

I hope this doesn't put you off other Challenges in the future, your thread has been so enjoyable, and I love your fun sense of humor and awesome attitude toward such a difficult task.

--OneBoot :D

4 people like this

I completely applaud your perseverance.  In the end, if you do the challenge your way you still have the satisfaction of knowing you did it, plus an awesome dragon besides. 

Plus now no pressure.  Either way, I'm still keen to see how it all turns out.  ::D:

3 people like this

The fact of the matter is that whether I qualify for a trophy or not, I'm going to finish it, because I'm not doing it for the trophy or the forum badge. I'd like 'em, but quite frankly, I do not need them. I will have the miniature, and the knowledge that I painted a big damn mini in a week with a tiny brush!

... with the same tiny brush.

Which is the same tiny brush I plan to finish it with. When I have nuked the goddamn brain weasels.

7 people like this

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Bwah?

Interesting. I hadn't even considered that (and somehow, I managed to miss the pen thing), because of the tiny point. Oh well.

I'm disappointed, a little, but I will still attempt to finish, because I'm stubborn like that; personal challenge, something, something ...

Also, I'm almost done. So .. Pftbbt.

Many of the rules became rules because people not doing challenges tried to break the challenge.  As the rules thusly grew, I knew eventually somebody would run smack into one.  I tried to find the most favourable interpretation, as I would have for anyone once we had one happen, but Rule 3 is pretty unambiguous.

Your undimmed goblin pride is noted!  This beastie got us both with a TKO.  I think it was specially designed to harm our kind.

6 people like this

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Many of the rules became rules because people not doing challenges tried to break the challenge.  As the rules thusly grew, I knew eventually somebody would run smack into one.  I tried to find the most favourable interpretation, as I would have for anyone once we had one happen, but Rule 3 is pretty unambiguous.

Your undimmed goblin pride is noted!  This beastie got us both with a TKO.  I think it was specially designed to harm our kind.

Actually... rules aside, my experience suggests a very practical reason not to use pens. The ink does not dry as solidly, or quickly as a paint might; I had a hell of a time keeping the spots from smearing when I went back with the glaze. So, rules or no rules, that's not something I'll be doing again, simply because, /it doesn't work/. I don't know if that's just that specific pen, or something likely to be different with a different pen and.. quite frankly, I'm not interested in finding out.

If my buggerup keeps someone else from making a similar mistake, that makes the crap I went through with it worth it, and now you have a practical reason for the rule. Aside from people being helpful, that is... >.>

Anyway. Pictures. I have what is called crappy light up here in the dead of night, so, you get the pics I took at the game store; which are much clearer. Wings! I actually did get them painted; and the claws and tips got done earlier; imagine them in the same grey-green as Onyx' horns.

20170812_182523.thumb.png.3c97d6d15a70e2c17fc43994e0efd189.png

Closeup of Siddie; being pretty and bad-elf. And .. what the heck did you get stuck in your teeth you ... I fixed that. :/

You can also see Opal; and get a better idea what I mean about the pale colour not being easy to photograph...

20170812_182531.png.0a421c09c67624277a0eadc2603ac8f8.png

Mal! Can't see a lot of the lines and blotchies I did for the malachite; but some of it is visible, and ... I don't know what his problem is right here. :/

20170812_182628.png.19e36321cfecf7fca646b8ebe4eb7506.png

Not much left to do; like I said, nearly done. A little setback is not going to stop me from finishing him. And because I am personally amused by this; my poor abused little brush has done everything from detail to dry-brushing, and still has a fairly straight point. It looks kind of frayed, but ... I think I might have done this with one brush!

16 people like this

Super!

2 people like this

So sorry for your loss....

But go Girlblin go!

3 people like this

I can't believe you packed him up and took him to a game store!  I'd be hunkered down in my personal tower of pain, gibbering.  :;):

Keep on with the awesome!  ::D:

5 people like this