72 posts in this topic

I didn't have a box big enough, so I rolled him into the fabric I use for a backdrop and poured the lot into a bag. This.. worked surprisingly well. Make sure whatever you use is pretty soft, though; rough fabric probably will rub paint off.

Anyway. Done. At about 1PM, so there has been a lot of fiddling with cameras and graphics programs in the nonce. I couldn't figure out how to get the real camera to focus, and I'm not smart enough to get the camera to time-stamp its photos. .. If I ever do another of these, I'm picking up one of those little travel clocks. >.<

20170813_130710.thumb.png.74cf8a820fe3ed9b843e9f2a37973f59.png

Look! Shiny! Sadly, the shimmery gold is not really visible because I went subtle with it (yes. Subtle glitter. It /can be done/. The rainbow insanity that is the backs of the wings was one of those happy accidents.

20170813_130729.thumb.png.5bce94e0c07c4699aafdc9206f06ca16.png

We also have a decent closeup of the multicoloured madness that is Maal's leg and side. I admit it, I had fun working out what colours would go where. Had to take the picture twice; the first one, the tail wasn't properly seated.. which is also visible in the main shot. Fraggit, I'm tired, anybody complains is getting a mouthful of dragon peppers.

I went back over the hide and some of the scales with Dragon Red, mixed with a little AP wash medium. That stuff got a lot of mileage.

20170813_132709.thumb.png.781e1cb8c28c7fb76ec2e908aff895df.png

And! The hero of this week-long saga of madness! The brush with all the paint on the handle is the one I actually used; the one that shows size and brand sat this one out. The lower one still has a decent point, despite having been used for everything; dry-brushing, glaze-slopping, detail work on eyeballs and mouths, glue application for flock... it's showed remarkable resilience!

Also, we have some of my reference materials; a carved lapis lazuli turtle, a big hunk of mahogany obsidian and a little piece of tumbled malachite.

20170813_132251.png.6dcd782efb6f3cc947e7c7b1557c2cfe.png

... whrug. This was my second Goblin Challenge, and ... disqualification aside, I'm actually pretty pleased with it and myself.

I finished under the wire, and I managed to do it with one brush, which.. I realise isn't actually part of the challenge, but it amuses me, so.. mleh.

My most immediate piece of advice is really just to /do it/. The prize at the end is the finished miniature itself, and the feeling of accomplishment that is probably all that keeps you afloat on a sea of sleep-deprivation and exhaustion.

.. and hunger. I didn't bother to eat breakfast before charging up here to finish this beast, so I'm going to go eat something before I flood the thread with drool.

20 people like this

Way to go!  You have the right attitude for this kind of challenge.  I can't believe you used one brush for everything.  That's a great testimony to what looks like a very basic brush.  Those wings are eye catching.  Bad luck not withstanding, this is a beautiful piece.

3 people like this

YAY!!  Congratulations on finishing that massive beastie!  You ROCK!  ::D:    (see what I did there?)

3 people like this

Congrats on finishing! I could never do a beastie like this in a week, not to mention the detail work you mastered. I love the gem stone theme you picked! Opal is my favourite gem and also favourite head. It really lightens up the whole thing and is just a very unique colour that you dont see often on a dragon. Beautiful!

5 people like this

Uh. It's an interesting question, but I'm going to ask you to move that one to a different thread, please.

Elseways, no one will be able to find the answer.

Post was moved. Thank you, OneBoot. ^^;

Edited by Sylverthorne
Clarifying something that had become confusing..
2 people like this

I'm a fairly fast painter. I often wonder how some people call spending several hours on one man sized figure a speed paint. I shudder to think about painting something this size in that amount of time. Like we say around her, "Yooos da, weeeener!" Good job, disqualification or not. You're a girlbin so I'm not so worried about any sanity you might've had.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Uh. It's an interesting question, but I'm going to ask you to move that one to a different thread, please.

Elseways, no one will be able to find the answer.

Done! ^_^

Huzzah and many congratulations!!!!! :bday::bday::bday: You get mad respect from me for persevering and completing the challenge, even though it's not an 'official' win! ^_^

Your Ma'al is truly STUNNING, I wish I could witness the glorious shimmery shiny sparkliness in person! :wub:

That's crazy that your one brush lasted the ENTIRE challenge! ::o: I dub thee "The Amazing One-brush Wonder" in honor of this astounding feat. 

Very well done indeed! You're a totally awesome girlblin, and you've definitely earned this:

JNf4O3T.jpg

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
9 people like this

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Done! ^_^

Huzzah and many congratulations!!!!! :bday::bday::bday: You get mad respect from me for persevering and completing the challenge, even though it's not an 'official' win! ^_^

Your Ma'al is truly STUNNING, I wish I could witness the glorious shimmery shiny sparkliness in person! :wub:

That's crazy that your one brush lasted the ENTIRE challenge! ::o: I dub thee "The Amazing One-brush Wonder" in honor of this astounding feat. 

Very well done indeed! You're a totally awesome girlblin, and you've definitely earned this:

JNf4O3T.jpg

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

... that bolded bit? That's in my signature now.

and yes. Those brushes are really .. really resilient. I'm surprised. ^^;

3 people like this

Congratulations on getting the beastie done despite the unfortunate circumstances! You did an awesome job and that's certainly something to be proud of! 

I'd love to see a full picture of the back of the wings - your "rainbow insanity" looks really neat!

4 people like this

BTW, as my sig says, "I Blame Buglips!"

1 person likes this

You have my distinct admiration for continuing on despite the circumstances.  Let no one doubt that you have the heart of a goblin!  Perhaps on some future day, you and I will raise brushes together again and bag ourselves this beastie which eluded us.  

2 people like this

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

You have my distinct admiration for continuing on despite the circumstances.  Let no one doubt that you have the heart of a goblin!  Perhaps on some future day, you and I will raise brushes together again and bag ourselves this beastie which eluded us.  

*bows* And you, my commendation for your hard work; you also, have done good!

Me, I'm just stubborn, and refuse to be properly trampled. The fury of my firebombs will ... well, never mind that. No one wants to contemplate THAT aftermath. o.O

Whether I am stubborn enough to plonk down funds for a second Ma'al ... that, I don't know. Perhaps the opportunity will present. Perhaps not. We'll see. Stranger things have been known to happen.

9 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Congratulations on getting the beastie done despite the unfortunate circumstances! You did an awesome job and that's certainly something to be proud of! 

I'd love to see a full picture of the back of the wings - your "rainbow insanity" looks really neat!

Ask, and ye shall receive; not only the backs, but the insides, as well!

If I don't misremember, a lot of different colours went into the backs; Burning Orange, the opal base that I used for Opal's head and neck (one part burning orange to two parts Old West Rose to three parts Maggot White) - and pretty much all of the fleshy underparts - green and purple tone (AP), Blue ink (P3) and, if I don't misremember, some Mahogany Brown was also used, albeit more on the insides of the wings. That .. I meant to do that. I totally didn't forget what paint I was using...

So, we'll start with the wing backs;

20170814_153448.thumb.png.2176267f19c74950e0cb6f1e9e03c980.png

20170814_153420.thumb.png.8c2029a61a36083cb6958ae864e1b928.png

. .. I have no explanation for this, but a vague recollection of a mineral that goes rainbow madness when exposed to certain conditions. Mebbe @Cyradis or one of the other serious rockhounds knows which one that is.

I also have a picture of the inner wing surface, which was mostly Purple Tone with dabs of Mahogany Brown over my Opal mix, with a bit of washed Burning Orange. I have no idea what I was thinking. I don't think I was thinking. It just happened.

20170814_153438.thumb.png.36afd96c7c942a3f292ec59e11239d9c.png

It got darker over the damaged portions, sort of like scar tissue. That much was deliberate... and some of my patch jobs were better than others. I swear, the wings are one huge example of 'I /totally meant to do that/!' ... the insides remind me more of amber, or the unflashy parts of fire-opal. Heh. Anyway. That's the wings.

7 people like this