Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clearman

Ratmen Priest

13 posts in this topic

I like it, really neat figure.  I especially like the yellow.  Though this is just me, but I feel the smoke could go all the way to white.

4 people like this

30 minutes ago, Silvervane said:

I like it, really neat figure.  I especially like the yellow.  Though this is just me, but I feel the smoke could go all the way to white.

Yeah, probably a bit.  I wanted a sootier smoke, but could have gone slightly whiter at the very tops.

3 people like this

Looks great! I agree with punching the highlights. The bent staff adds character. I like this!

2 people like this

Magnificent color work and blending.

You really pulled this one off.

It's just exciting and a joy to behold.

REALLY WELL DONE.

Jay

2 people like this

great mini, beautiful paint.  love it.

2 people like this

Great piece!

2 people like this

That's an excellent paint job!

Great job! You've got some nice blending and the yellow is the absolute standout here - you handled that really, really well. Across the board, I think you need to punch up the highlights just a little bit more. Not absolutely everywhere, but at high points where it would bring more visual interest. For instance, on the red cloak, across his shoulder and then just the tops of the ragged edges. The same thing with the smoke, popping some white here and there would give it even more movement.

His face gets a little bit lost because of the very dark point at his snout. With a little more definition on the nose, it would balance the face to help it to stand out overall.

The crystal isn't working for you, there's just not enough contrast. A deeper purple (closer to an eggplant colour) would work better for the dark areas of the crystal and the lighter areas could go nearly to the colour that you edge highlighted with. The edge highlight would work much better as white with those contrasts pumped up. Check out James Wappel's tutorial for crystals. (I'd link you, but I can't reach blogs on my work computer.)

I'd love to see a clear picture of the gem on the end of his staff - it looks pretty neat from what I can see.

Overall it's a really solid paint job and it really shows that you were inspired while painting it.

1 person likes this

Super nice! 

His hands, feet and face is very realistic animal-like.

1 person likes this

@Guindyloo Great feedback.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

You've got some nice blending and the yellow is the absolute standout here - you handled that really, really well

Funny you would say this.  I felt this was one of the things I struggled with the most.

I think you need to punch up the highlights just a little bit more. Not absolutely everywhere, but at high points where it would bring more visual interest. For instance, on the red cloak, across his shoulder and then just the tops of the ragged edges. The same thing with the smoke, popping some white here and there would give it even more movement.

Agreed.  I struggle with how far to go with the highlights.  I actually tried going higher with the red, but could not produce something I was pleased with.

The crystal isn't working for you, there's just not enough contrast. A deeper purple (closer to an eggplant colour) would work better for the dark areas of the crystal and the lighter areas could go nearly to the colour that you edge highlighted with. The edge highlight would work much better as white with those contrasts pumped up. Check out James Wappel's tutorial for crystals. (I'd link you, but I can't reach blogs on my work computer.)

I'm not really following what you saying here.  Are you describing something that would look more like a gemstone?  I will check James' tutorial, but definitely need more info here.

I'd love to see a clear picture of the gem on the end of his staff - it looks pretty neat from what I can see.

The staff got bent when I removed thing from the handle for the picture.  I didn't notice until I was posting here, and by then I had all the photo gear put away.  I'll try to get something a bit clearer posted.

Great colors! I personally thought your highlights and shadows were really nice.

1 person likes this