Eek!  Hey, how do you do those creepy underbites (on the mushroom and nearby tree)?  It looks like the teeth are some sort of inserted element?  (Toothpicks?)

43 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great !

Better stay out of the woods today people!

...Smokey moves into Town.

Thanks for the reply, Glitter...glad you like it!

12 minutes ago, Loim said:

Awesome. 

Thanks for the reply, Loim. I'm happy you like it.

2 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Very cool and creepy.

...creepy was intended; the cool part was an accident.

Be that as it may, I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the reply, Clearman!

2 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Eek!  Hey, how do you do those creepy underbites (on the mushroom and nearby tree)?  It looks like the teeth are some sort of inserted element?  (Toothpicks?)

..you got it. The teeth are tooth/cocktail picks. I insert them into & slightly behind the protruding lips. On this mushroom the jaw was extended with the plumber's epoxy putty I used for the base/dolly.

Thanks for the reply, Jordan!  

• Like 3

Amazing! I would love to see the entire setting...it looks HUGE. I also really like the glow effect of the eyes. Forests are one of my favourite theme (right after ocean). There are so many lovely details and different textures that I find something new everytime I look at the pictures. Very well done!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Glamberry said:

Amazing! I would love to see the entire setting...it looks HUGE. I also really like the glow effect of the eyes. Forests are one of my favourite theme (right after ocean). There are so many lovely details and different textures that I find something new everytime I look at the pictures. Very well done!

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply, Glamberry. I do have two fully forested boards, but in this case the Mushroom is on my Spooky Woods photo stage...just a backdrop piece.

This is what the whole thing looks like:

DSCN4848.thumb.JPG.8c950902337a4babccfd20ba1c4c02cd.JPG

...with a couple of volunteers:

DSCN4838.thumb.JPG.3643c021e3288d659957ff3457310732.JPG

I have more photos in a Show Off thread here:

34 minutes ago, Knochensack said:

Run, Leo, run! - and tell everyone of this awesome place!

At least I like it :D

Great work!

Thanks for the kind reply & the extra morale boost, Knockensack; both are appreciated. I am delighted you like it.

• Like 7

@malefactus I love your mushroom world! These are wonderful. Also, are you familiar with a kids song about the muffin man? I shall alter it: "Do you know the mushroom man, the mushroom man, the mushroom man? Do you know the mushroom man who lives on Reaper Lane?" TADA! 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, malefactus said:

Thanks for the kind reply & the extra morale boost, Knockensack; both are appreciated. I am delighted you like it.

Can't be helped, I guess ^_^ I always admire great work. And if that boosts your more, I'm mostly delighted myself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Knochensack said:

Can't be helped, I guess ^_^ I always admire great work. And if that boosts your more, I'm mostly delighted myself.

It is appreciated...I will have to make a point to return the favor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malefactus said:

It is appreciated...I will have to make a point to return the favor.

Haha - I like you :-D Don't worry.

Edited by Knochensack
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By RandomExtra
      I started a D&D campaign for my son and some of his friends, and using it as an excuse to acquire and paint some new minis. Here is my son's Tiefling sorcerer (sorceress?)The plan: We don't really like the "combat bikini" on this one, so I am going to attempt to add, well something to it. It won't be great, probably wont even look good, but hey I'm only trying to get better, so please comment, critique, advise, instruct, and what not.
      Going with a light purple skin because its for a Tiefling character, and I think purple is an interesting color to paint. Turquoise colored garments as a complimentary color, and some yellow gold metal for some contrast.

And some color after the nip tuck. I went with blue for a base cause I'm guessing it will work better with the purple skin.
      We decided to chop the staff and try for a glass orb for the arcane focus. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Finally to end the night with some Green stuff. I started with a "sheet" of it for the Front and Back panels. I'm going to try to add some detail tomorrow after this dries.
      Overall I don't think the cloth is laying quite right, or the size is off. Either way I hope I can fix it in the next session.
    • By malefactus
      Another month another batch of Mushrooms & Associates. This month is a bit lighter than last. I started it toward the end of last month's Gang...which is still waiting on some Show Off photos. 
      I am also hoping to squeeze in some Pumpkinheads & other Halloween strangeness elsewhere. More of that later. For now, The Mushrooms:

With the ever popular Leo Sizechek for comparison:

I got the idea to do a Mushroom/Goblin Wizard from this illustration:

Mine is a bit seedier:

A Goblin Faerie sidekick seemed appropriate. Appropriate or not I wanted to try out some paper punch butterfly wings with a foam coating inner layer:

AND base coated & ready for color:

More whenever.
    • By Rigel
      The clay golem. So overmuscled! So cantankerous-looking! So versatile for conversions!

It's probably cliche at this point, thinking this guy would make a great Edward Hyde. But that doesn't make it wrong! Some green stuff tatters, a grommet, and a pin, and here we are. Look at that savage hairy-knuckled brute! 

For my Western game, set in the 1870s-ish, I made a spinoff cleric-like class, the Sawbones, for healers that prefer Mad Science to religion; people like Dr. Moreau, or Dr. Jekyll, or Dr. Frankenstein, or Dr. Herbert West. The 59009 lady scientist is the mini my Sawbones player uses for her character, and Hyde Formula is absolutely something she would concoct and abuse.

So here's the pair of them. 

I am actually proud of the Hyde conversion! 

• By malefactus
      A few days ago I started a new type of Mushroom based on some Pinterest polymer clay pieces like this one:

This one & his kin are quite a bit larger than the ones I make, but the detail is something to aspire to.
      Here is a step by step of my Mushroom in progress up to yesterday. This is the plumber's epoxy dolly:

The Kneadotite (green stuff):

I use the left over green stuff to make smaller versions of the Big Mushroom...you probably already notice that:

There will be more of this type in varying sizes AND their bases coming along soon...or eventually.

• By malefactus
      I have been wandering through the wonderfully inspiring photos on Pinterest. The Mushroom pictured there have created a need to make some new Faerie Folk Mushrooms of my own.
      I put up pic on my Last Hurrah Thread, but since this may be a protracted effort, I thought I would post here as well. These are a few of the ones I am doing versions of:

The first stage dollies were made on Wednesday:

Green stuffing & additional dollies on Thursday. 

Friday was lost to H&R Block, AND yesterday was a daze. Today my enthusiasm clicked into high gear.
      The result was the Two Tall Mushroom got their green stuff done, along with some work on the supporting cast:

Since these pics were taken, I have done a base coating of black on the Tall Fellows, & finished the green stuffing on the medium sized mushrooms.
      Have I mentioned that I have a tendency to get carried away?
  • Who's Online   53 Members, 2 Anonymous, 69 Guests (See full list)