monoRAIL

77279 Narthrax defends her kill

22 posts in this topic

Awesome! Great conversion with the horse!

That's a pretty cool way to make an introduction; welcome to the forums!!

Fantastic work on your dragon!:winkthumbs:

Awesome job!

I'm actually on the verge of starting a Narthrax, and I'd like to use a couple of your techniques.  So I've got a couple of quick questions:

1) What's that 3D program you used to generate the extra landscape bulk?

2) What brand of cutting mat is that?  It looks handy too.

3) Narthrax's perch is hollow.  Did you take any extra steps to attach it to the base, or just superglue the edges down?

Wow, that's a great little diorama!  I kinda feel bad for the pony, but Narthrax looks impressively badass.  Very impressive!

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

8 hours ago, wdmartin said:

1) What's that 3D program you used to generate the extra landscape bulk?

2) What brand of cutting mat is that?  It looks handy too.

3) Narthrax's perch is hollow.  Did you take any extra steps to attach it to the base, or just superglue the edges down?

1 - 3D Studio Max (although Blender would be just as good), printed on a Wanhao Duplicator i3 printer.

2 - It's a Tamiya A4 cutting mat. This one: tam74118.jpg

3 - Yes, I pinned the rock to the base. After supergluing it, I drilled through the plastic rock into the wooden base and used paper-clip pins glued into the holes. I also pinned the wings and feet on the model.

Edited by monoRAIL
Added image.
1 person likes this

On 8/9/2017 at 9:11 PM, monoRAIL said:

Thank you, I didn't know about this contest. Would this count as a diorama because it has a 2nd model on it?

I believe it does. 

That is fan-freaking-tastic!  Brilliantly done!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lowlylowlycook
      Against all expectations, I'm getting back into 40K.  This is because, against all expectations, some fine friendly folks are opening a FLGS that's actually local to me.  That is, it's in the small town I live in.

Activity is mostly been MTG and other card games along with 40K.  Since they are just starting out they don't really have any terrain to play with.  As it happens, I dont' have lot of stuff for 40K unless the battle is being fought on a planet that just happens to resemble the Ethiopian countryside.  However, I have way too much "possible terrain stuff"/junk laying about so I figure I could knock some things out for people to use at the store.

Here are some trees I put together (bases will be done later):

Other plans are

To copy Chris Palmer's board game punchout ruins.  So sad about all the punchouts I have thrown away.. Add some Deadzone terrain bits to a styrofoam packing shape to make a bunker. Build some of the Deadzone terrain as scatter terrain.  Maybe make a tower and some barriers?  
      Any other ideas for quick, cheap, hard wearing 40K terrain are definitely welcome!

• By robsontpm
      The first miniature I have painted after opening Bones 3 box that arrived one week ago. Also, my first reaper miniature I would like to share.

I must admit that I made a very poor job on the mould lines though and the paint job isn't as neat as I would like to...

More pictures: http://zgielk.blogspot.com/2017/08/na-bezrybiu-i-smok-ryba.html

• By T'hain Esh Kelch
      I started on it 2,5 years ago, and first finished it now. Turns out having a child takes up a LOT of your free time.. Who would have guessed? 

It is the Bones version from the first Kickstarter. I had to have it when I saw it, as I think it is the most amazing dragon sculpt I've seen! Comments and critique very welcome!

• By Mutilatedlips
      A friend asked me to paint this and the Grand Mystic to match. I really liked this Dwarf a lot. Part of me wants to keep him. 

• By Chris Palmer
         Just quick post to let folks know abut these stencils I picked up in my local Dollar Tree this weekend.  They are in the school supply section.  i thought they might be really useful for applying decorative painted patterns to temple floors, walls, pillars, etc...
      I forgot to include a ruler, but they are about 6 inches square.

• Who's Online   39 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)