Sign in to follow this  
Chris Palmer

Dagon Statue Terrain from Bones 3

Wow!  The gradual progression of dry-brushing is really effective at bringing out a natural-looking stone look.  (Thanks for the blog link with the further details!)

Has this ever come out in stores?  I can imagine that if I could get this in pairs, it would make for a really nice progression (curved creepy spike-like "statues" on each side) leading up to a temple, sacrificial altar, extra-dimensional gateway, big boss fight location, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice stoneworks

Thanks you, Glitterwolf!

1 hour ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Wow!  The gradual progression of dry-brushing is really effective at bringing out a natural-looking stone look.  (Thanks for the blog link with the further details!)

Has this ever come out in stores?  I can imagine that if I could get this in pairs, it would make for a really nice progression (curved creepy spike-like "statues" on each side) leading up to a temple, sacrificial altar, extra-dimensional gateway, big boss fight location, etc.

Thank you, Jordan! And I'm glad you found the blog link useful.

No, it is not released for retail yet, as it was part of the Bones 3 Kickstarter. Assuming it's what they are calling "Altar to Dagon" on the release schedule, then it looks like it will be early next year before it hits the online store.

I agree; your idea of this paired up in ranks would be very cool.

• Like 3

I also like the stonework, and the engraved lettering is really clean.  Great work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clearman said:

I also like the stonework, and the engraved lettering is really clean.  Great work.

Thank you, Clearman!   I have to give credit to the sculpt for the great lettering.  I was worried the dry brushing would obscure it, but it's nice and deep and really ended up standing out nicely.

This looks really good, but I'm going to try to go dark. Basalt, maybe? Lots of good statuary examples. And it's volcanic.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lexomatic said:

This looks really good, but I'm going to try to go dark. Basalt, maybe? Lots of good statuary examples. And it's volcanic.

Thank you, lexomatic!  A dark volcanic color would be great!  Makes me want to get another one and paint it that way as well. 

Very good work, Chris!

It looks just like the one down by the....er, nevermind.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Very good work, Chris!

It looks just like the one down by the....er, nevermind.

Thank you, Chaoswolf!

8 hours ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Why am I always reading "Dragon Statue" and wondering because there was no dragon statue in Bones III ...?

Great stonework! Also very impressed how you brought out the writing / inscription.

Thank you, Knight!   I have the same problem; trying to get my mind around the difference between Dragon and Dagon. ::):  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JGroeling
      Conversion post w Sculpt WIP
      WIP post. 

This was originally Bones #77202 that I'd ordered a while back and started sculpting on. Had gotten the sculpt finished a couple months ago between other projects, and have slowly been adding paint since. 

He's a bit on the dirty looking sode, which is alright as that's what I was going for. Wanted to give him a trail worn look. Added some more coloration and softened things up more than I had originally planned, but I think it worked out. 

Also, there's a faint detail of blood drops on the front of the base below the Warg's head. As I wanted to add the feeling that they were on the hunt, with the pose and the paint. 

• By Glitterwolf
      I took out the BBQ and some stuff I bought.

Used styrofoam for the base and a Styrofoam Ball ( half of it).

Applied some snow an grass flock, glued some trees and figurines in place and done.

The houses will light up at night and I added a string of Led lights.

Put it in the garden in front of our window/door. So in the evening we can see it from our room.

Just a silly idea, maybe you guys like it, because you know...most of you are silly too...

• By Crowley
      While I still need to do his base, I finished of this pretty boy. 

• By Logos
      Has anyone picked up some of the new Wizkids Pathfinder Deep Cuts/D&D Marvelous figures?  I have to say that maybe Reaper should be concerned.  They seem to have better detail, they are primed (I know with Bones that doesn't necessarily matter), the plastic seems plenty durable, and the price is comparable if not cheaper.  

All I have done is 2 Displacer Beasts so far (been wanting some for a while and couldn't find anything that was good and/or affordable) and they turned out really nice.  They even came with 2 black disks to use as stands.  Just a flat disk of black plastic but once I put some flock on it they were more than adequate.  Just wanted to know what everyone else thought. 

Anyway also I have a bunch more on order (which means I ordered more Dwarves.....I really don't need more Dwarves..lol.) and will let you know what I think of those once I get them (note prices are Canadian).
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: UMBER HULK [Wizkids]   
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: TIEFLING MALE SORCERER [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: TIEFLING FEMALE SORCERER [Wizkids]
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DWARF FEMALE WIZARD [Wizkids]
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DRAGONBORN MALE PALADIN [Wizkids]
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DRAGONBORN MALE FIGHTER [Wizkids]
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DRAGONBORN FEMALE FIGHTER [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Adventurer's Campsite [Wizkids] 
      $29.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Gnolls (2) [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Pathfinder Deep Cuts: RUSTY DRAGON BAR [Wizkids] 
      $24.95
      Pathfinder Deep Cuts: DWARF MALE SORCERER [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Pathfinder Deep Cuts: BARTENDER/DANCING GIRL [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Pathfinder Deep Cuts: Gnolls [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Pathfinder Deep Cuts: Elf Female Sorcerer (2) [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: BEHOLDER [Wizkids] 
      $4.95
      Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Dwarf Wizard (2
      $4.95
    • By Logos
      Another bones 3 model set I am not sure of the name of.....(I'll update the title once some one lets me know) but I like how they turned out and they didn't take long to do.

• Who's Online   36 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)