Rough1316

My 1st try

27 posts in this topic

That turned out great for a first figure! 

And, as I see this is your first post; welcome to to the forum!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That is one heck of a first try. Excellent job.

I will not bombard you with tons of advice, but will focus on the thing that I am sure the veterans are all thinking. That is that those whites are a bit stark. I'm speaking of the skulls, both on the head of this guy, and the ground.

Try a brown wash on these. If you have a brown ink or a wash like GW's Agrax Earthshade, go ahead and thin it down and just sort of wash it into the deeper areas of the skulls. (Alternately, you can use a very watered-down brown paint.) When dry, highlight again, with white. This will add a bit of realism and detail, and a little depth.

Edited by Bruunwald
5 people like this

Thank you for the compliments and for the advice, I will follow through with it...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to echo what Bruunwald said, and add a bottle of GW's "Nuln Oil" (black) is also a good tool to have on your workbench along with the  "Agrax Earthsahde" (brown).  Both of these, when thinned to different degrees, are a handy tool for providing quick and simple shading and depth to minis. 

Also, if you get a moment, I recommend you browse through this thread where experienced painters were invited to show off their first minis and their latest.  Many beginners find it encouraging to see that everyone was a beginner once ::)::  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70130-hobby-report-first-and-best-so-far-groupopen/

Edited by Chris Palmer
3 people like this

Welcome to the Forum!

Good first paintjob!

Browse the forum and watch clips on youtube about painting fantasy miniatures.

You will get lots of useful tips.

Start a WIP thread ( Work In Progress) and people will give advice, cheer you on and so on.

We are also sometimes a bit silly..if you see something in purple text, it is meant as a joke or irony.

Have fun!!!

My first attempt was rats because I figured they would be easier than a person. I was right!

This looks very good and you are already getting good advice so I will simply say Welcome!

2 people like this

This is one heck of a paint job for a first timer! Kudos on that.

But that doesnt matter really.. What matters is that you have found the courage and came here in good faith. You probably are already guessing that you have  come to the right place and you are indeed right! You will quickly find out that folks here are always eager to help and give positive feedback and set you very gently in the right course.. 

All you need to do is paint, post, heed advice.. Rince and repeat. 

So without further ado let me say heartily "welcome on board and enjoy the ride!"

PS: For youtube references, Dr Faust and Sorastro's channels are great ones to start.

Great first mini!  Happy painting and remember to have fun!

I think it looks good for a first mini.  It takes awhile to learn what colors to use and such.  I'm still learning that myself. 

As far as constructive criticism  goes.   I would echo the thoughts of using a brown wash over the skulls.  Perhaps a black/dark brown line where the head meets the armor.  I also noticed that little dots in the eyes.  That's pretty cool.  Might consider though making it a different color as it doesn't contrast enough with the skull (suggestions for coloring the eyes.  Green, red, purple dots) .....Anything else I would say would involve more advanced techniques and I wouldn't want to overwhelm you. They are often hard to explain and you would be better off getting some DVD's or watching some videos on YouTube that will show you.

Happy painting and welcome to the forums!   

A solid first figure.  Looks like you have the basics of coverage and brush control down.  Everyone else hit on what I would advise. So welcome, and good job!

Welcome and very good first try. Only thing I can think of that might improve it even more is a slight wash for the skull (and maybe some parts of the armor).

Nice.

I really like the armor.. it looks worn and dirty like he just rose from his grave, and the eyes are great.

Wonderful first figure! That is not an easy one to jump in with! You did well on defining sections, and choosing colors for it. Great work!

The others have all given excellent advice. 

Here is my addition: work on the placement of the highlights and the shadows, especially on the blue cloak. Try filling the depths of the creases with your chosen shadow color, and your bright blue on the tops of the creases. It will make the cloak much more crisp. You can always add dirt and effects to grunge it up later! The Nuln Oil Shade paint is a great one to have around - if you are going for a dark blue overall, I'd recommend that for a shadow color without hesitation, especially for a new painter. It is much more versatile than just as a wash or a shadow though - you can use it as a glaze, a dark-liner, all sorts of stuff. 

And your figure looks better than some of my first ones - They either had no eyes, or bug eyes, and I thought that the absolute shiniest silver paint would make a nice dress (and it was in enamel paint). 

Welcome to the painting club!