Rough1316

My 1st try

32 posts in this topic

Welcome to the madness! That's a great first mini! You have gotten some really good advice above. I think especially the shield and armour look fantastic!

12 hours ago, Pochi said:

My first attempt was rats because I figured they would be easier than a person. I was right!

This looks very good and you are already getting good advice so I will simply say Welcome!

I started with a rat too! I believe it was from the first familiar pack...with the falcon XD

1 person likes this

Good morning to all! Just wanted to said thank you for all the compliments and that your tips on shading will be apply on my next mini's, on my way to the post office to my mail box to retrieve my new loots and will start working on them... Thank you again and will keep you posted on my next try! 

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, Rough1316 said:

Good morning to all! Just wanted to said thank you for all the compliments and that your tips on shading will be apply on my next mini's, on my way to the post office to my mail box to retrieve my new loots and will start working on them... Thank you again and will keep you posted on my next try! 

You could make a WIP thread.

People will cheer you on and give advice!

2 people like this

Just wanted to share this collage pic with you all! Was thinking that it looks sick in all those color finished!

IMG_2017-08-12_09-31-37.JPG

Thanks for the advice glitterwolf! Will do!

2 people like this

A dot of Blue would look cool in the eyeholes of a skull...  

Maybe Spectral Glow, if you have it.

Also, this is the point where I write something about yet another beginner being better than me... Except I've used all the good lines already...   So many good painters here. And you're one of them.  

Hi and welcome to this crazy forum!

I think you are off to a fantastic start!  Your first mini looks great!

The only advice I can give is the same advice I was given and keep hearing; just paint more. The skills will grow. 

Now if I could only follow my own advice....

1 person likes this

nice job, im looking forward to seeing number 2

SPLENDID START to a lifelong obsession. You have a good sense of colors & a nice touch with the brush. TERRIFIC WORK!

Just wait & see what WONDERS you will be producing a year from now.

Hiya all! Just finished a couple of (plastic) knights, as you will noticed they are not to detailed, but the way I c it is practice for me, any constructive feedback is welcome, thank you

IMG_20170814_155234.jpg

IMG_20170814_155316.jpg

4 people like this

49 minutes ago, Rough1316 said:

Hiya all! Just finished a couple of (plastic) knights, as you will noticed they are not to detailed, but the way I c it is practice for me, any constructive feedback is welcome, thank you

IMG_20170814_155234.jpg

IMG_20170814_155316.jpg

You have nice clean lines and good color schemes! My suggestion is a brown wash/shade in the creases of the red. You can likely use the same brown but thinned with water to do shading on the yellow too (I find yellow a somewhat difficult color). More shadows will help show the creases better. My next suggestion is to hit the Shutterbug forums and read Doug's photography posts. The lighting on those seems a bit harsh, but bright enough to get the job done (I had opposite issue for a long time - not enough light!). I'm not the best at it, hence sending you to Doug. He is The Wizard of Wavicles. 

Good job on the painting! Many prosperous more figured to you :) 

really excellent for a first work. great brush control, keep at it!

In terms of techniques to develop, I'm always an advocate of darklining (separating areas with a very dark color as a "shadow"). you seem to have the brush mastery to pull it off.

1 person likes this

That's a very, very good effort for your first figure, keep up the good work!

Pretty good.  Have you thought about adding a light wash of brown to the skulls?  It would help bring out the detail more and add a little bit of an aged look.  

Edited by Logos

Did you use the same metallic paint for both the weapons and the armors?

Try using a different and slightly darker metallic for the mail parts of the armor.

(Not because mail is darker in real life, but because since you've used bright metal on the swords, and they tend to be a focus for the eyes, people's subconsciousness label it as 'sharp','hard'. That's my thoughts on it, anyways)