Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Presenting the Gentlefolk Blacksmith, a heavy-hitting Servant of the Engine from the game Twisted. He's part of my Steampunk People WIP thread.
Been looking forward to painting this one for ages (mainly because he resembles Tick-Tock from Return to Oz, that's also why he's mostly bronze).
Unfortunately, I did attach his chimney a little skewed, but I think I'm liking how it looks.
As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
I work for a large movie company and wanted to reproduce one of their animated characters. Here's the result.
This little guy is printed in PLA:
The arms and legs are posable. I printed small links with a hole in the center and ran floral arrangement wire through them.
I cut the wire from the legs inside the body and connected an LED for the eye. The wire is plastic coated so you have to sand paper off the plastic coating to make them conductive. You can see the wire connections inside the cup. At the local craft store they sold strings of miniature lights so I picked up several on sale. You get a battery holder with circuitry to regulate the current to the LED and as a bonus it has a timer to turn the LED on for six hours out of every twenty four. For convenience I drilled a hole for the wire and glued the battery holder to the bottom of the cup. The switch is accessible without taking the thing apart.
It was a commissioned piece for our CTO. As he said "It's all about the toys!"
Thanks for looking :)
Here is another of my Imperial Assault figures.
IG-88. I followed the Sorastro guide, which involved drybrushing, washes, drybrushing, etc. 4 or 5 cycles.
Then painting on some forced highlights, then a blue wash on one side and a red one on the other.
This was fast, and a little sloppy. But fast.
This is Patrick Keith's 50246: Marie, She-Bot, famous from the old Fritz Lang movie "Metropolis," and two other robots Johnny Lauck sold adjacent to his sci fi Salvage Crew.
I painted them up in less than an hour. WIP thread here.
So my husband is running a game this Saturday and he asked "Do you have any robot figures?" and I said "Ummm, let me get back to you."
Happily, I had on hand a copy of Patrick Keith's 50246, "Marie She-Bot" familiar to film aficionados from Fritz Lang's seminal "Metropolis". I also had a handful of little robots from Johnny Lauck's Salvage Crew.
So I glued them together and primed them and painted them very simply with metallic paints. The whole thing took less than an hour.
For metallics I use the principles I learned for gilding: Everything has a color underneath it, usually a rust-red for gold and a black or grey for silver (or aluminum or palladium -- I never could bring myself to gild with something that could decay as fast as silver leaf).
I originally planned to paint the Metropolis robot gold, so I primed her with Red Iron Oxide.
Then I did the same with a little monkey-robot from Johnny Lauck (ignore the two little guys to the right; I didn't get further than this with them and I plan to paint them like plastic anyway, if I get to them before Saturday).
Then my husband pointed out that if I painted the Metropolis robot silver she could stand in for a Moonsilver Alchemical later on. D'oh!
... Okay, so now I was going to see what silver paint looks like over brick red. For science!
I washed over the two red robots with dark paint to bring out the details: Burnt Umber on the little monkeybot, as is normal for under a warm color like gold. But then I used straight Carbon Black on Maria She-Bot since she was going to be cold silver, and black generally looks cold under other colors. I notice that she looks just like the Chinese lacquer sculptures I've seen around, a point worth remembering to try some other time, perhaps.
I also painted black primer on the servo on the left, another Johnny Lauck 'bot. I had to glue that one to a fender washer as it had a tendency to topple over to its left; otherwise its base had been the same size as the other Lauck robots. That's also why it appears now; its glue was setting while I was priming the others. (Once again, ignore the two on the right.)
I then took my good #2 Winsor and Newton series 7 brush and drybrushed silver metallic paint onto the armed servo Lauck 'bot and Marie, She-Bot.
... I find using good brushes helps give a lot of control and evenness, even for this. This wasn't the really scrabbly kind of drybrushing anyway, more like stroking tiny amounts of unthinned paint over the high points of a countoured surface.
Anyhow, you can see the different color effects based on what went under the silver paint, black on the left and brick red on the right. You can also see the detail level difference between Johnny Lauck's sculpt and Patrick Keith's.
Then I did the same thing, only using gold metallic paint, to the Johnny Lauck monkey robot.
I painted their bases solid black. Normally I like a base with at least a neutral grey with shadows, but I was in a hurry and the black contrasted better with their metallic shininess.
I also added a few details, red eyes on the Lauck robots and a glowing yellow inside the armed Lauck bot's gun barrel (Which I see I didn't take pictures of. Need to fix that for the Show Off thread).
And there you have it. Really really fast quick and dirty robot painting. Total painting time: About forty minutes. (With prep time, work time is probably an hour, or a smidgen more)
Who's Online 44 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Arc 724
- Cranky Dog
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Balgin Stondraeg
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Reverend Shartan
- Tenzin Drakefang