wdmartin

77279 Narthrax the White

82 posts in this topic

Looks great!

Awesome progress!

1 person likes this

Really awesome work! I've enjoyed following and can't wait to see the finished dragon in all its glory!

2 people like this

On 9/17/2017 at 8:44 PM, wdmartin said:

Also, I've noticed that some of my white paint is yellowing!

I have no idea what is causing that.  It's not happening consistently across the dragon.  Perhaps my Solid White is chemically unstable for some reason?  It's not SUPER noticeable, but I'd rather have a clean, sharp pristine white.

I've encountered this before! I've experienced it on my unpainted Bones models that I've handled a lot; it's residue from the sweat/skin oils on my hands (I've also seen it near the end of my phone charger cord, which is white). I suspect that may be the case here, since the areas you circled are both slightly raised and likely natural places for you to hold the mini while painting.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

3 people like this

That would account for it.  I hope doing a final pass with some white after everything else is done will fix that.

2 people like this

Guindyloo suggested nitrile gloves for holding large pieces, I can confirm that they work like a charm and are available at my local grocery store.  

"Helping Hands" are also useful for holding bits to paint before assembly.  A friend used them for his Cthulhu.  

Your Narthrax is looking good!

3 people like this

Looking fantastic, going to be a hell of a piece to bring out in a game.

1 person likes this

I would NOT seal over the "Ice" as it will most likely kill it...

Water effects don't need sealing in my experience,  but I have never used crackle medium...

If you plan to spray, mask first...

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Arbiter10
      Bones 4 is next month, but I'm still working through my backlog from Bones 2, lol. Here's my version of Narthrax, my favorite dragon from that KS. This was a really fun mini to paint. More pics and a detailed WIP over at my blog (link down in my sig).

• By eldamir
      My most ambitious project to date, Narthrax was a fun little challenge for me over the last couple of weeks.  My son wanted him to be black, so after I based him in Stormy Grey, I mixed up 3 parts each Adamantine Black and Imperial Purple with a single drop of Pure Black (then repeated it several times!).  For the undersides of the wings, I replaced the Imperial Purple with Ruby Red - and did the same for his main back-spikes and horns.  I went too far down his tail with the reddened segments and after realizing that it just didn't look right, thought I had successfully covered it up - but from the backside picture, I can see a distinct reddish hue to the top of the upper tail.. 

I also think I need to touch up the foot-pads and perhaps the trailing-edge bone tips on the wings with - they looked nice with just the Stormy Grey, but the camera is making me second guess that thought..

• By First_Chief
      Hello,

This is my first post in the work in progress and on the Reaper Forum in general.  Though I have been a ghost in the Forum watching.

I am still fairly new to the hobby and I had started painting about two years ago.  However, a house fire at end of last July ended up basically halting my being able to paint until just recently.  Point of interest, I was working on Khanjira when it happened and a falling ceiling will destroy him.  The worst house damage was in my bed room right above my hobby area.

But I have finally been able to get back to painting and I have really liked Narthrax for a while.  So, I have created this work in progress to help keep me motivated and moving.  I have the trouble of over thinking/researching things and never starting them.  So I am hoping this helps.  The plan is to have it done by the end of this next week.  If I am not feeling like moving on to another mini I am then thinking of basing it with a desert scene and it attacking a caravan.  I have the camel from Conan and really would just need a merchant like figure.

So I have given him a nice bath and he is now drying.

My plan is to paint him up like our bearded dragon, Albus (or according to my three year old, Albus Lizard).  Tried to get him posing on an out cropping of rocks but he is being lazy.

The next step will be Brown Liner and then I will check it for mold lines again.  I was very impressed with how little mold lines were present and I am sure I have missed some.

• By Mutilatedlips
      This took way more time than I thought it would. I probably should have done a step by step, but after a couple of early shots, I didn't remember to take any others. Probably because I was painting and assembling while painting three other models.
      I forgot how much paint these big models eat up and Bones seem to want even more. This  was one of several color schemes I have floating around my head for dragons. I would like to try some of the others, but maybe on another dragon model. Love this sculpt though, absolutely sinister looking and a must have when I was cherry picking models during that Kickstarter.

Brightness could not be helped, either it was too dark or too bright when taking pics, but I figure these are good enough for "Show and Tell."
      Hope you enjoy!

• By Crowley
      Well, I not only finished my dragon, I got her entered into the ReaperCon painting contest, and earned a bronze.

I then went and got her professionally photographed cause I knew I'd never be able to do her justice.

She's currently displayed, along with the medal, in the place of honor on my mantle above the fireplace.

"Good night, Nathavarr. Good work. I'll most likely dump you in simple green in the morning."

I am thinking about repainting the treasure on her base in bronze...
  • Who's Online   54 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)