Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So this was supposed to be a Christmas gift for Mrs. Gargs but a combination of a bad shoulder injury in December and a crazy first three months of work this year resulted in these guys only just now getting done. That said, pretty happy with how they turned out given my meager skill level. Biggest problem I ran into was a nasty mold line on the snowman that just didn't want to go away. In retrospect I probably should have tried an X-Acto knife instead of just files but I was afraid of getting too much off of it so to speak.
All that said, any and all comments, critiques, constructive criticism, etc. are very welcome as I continue to try to improve! Hope you enjoy!
This past weekend I started painting Brom, the 54mm scale dwarf from Enigma. The sculpt has got a mix of equipment and, to be honest, I'm not even sure what all of it is. It gives him a lot of character, but presents some challenges with the painting. I've been putting a lot of thought into how I want to approach the piece and finally decided to pick a color scheme and let that tie the figure together.
I started with the face. Considering most of it is hidden by the hair, the beard feels almost as important as the rest of the face. I used a mix of Reaper's Ruddy Leather, Secret Weapon's Orange Rust, and Reaper's Burnt Orange and Fair Skin Highlight. I find the light skin tones are nice for highlighting hair, I'd do the same with brown hair. For the blood stained cloth on his head, I used a mix of Carnage Red and Walnut Brown. I wanted it to be darker near the center, so more brown, and the moving to pure red near the boundaries. I applied the red as a glaze over the white cloth to give it the right look. Instead of using the well palette that I'd normally turn to for glazes, I ended up mixing them directly on my wet palette. Normally that produces a mess, but I used a bit of paint and then added a bunch of matte medium (plus a little water). The matte medium is thick, so it creates the right transparency without causing the glaze to flow all over the palette. Then I then it down slightly with water for a consistency that's easier to paint with. The effect is the same as a regular glaze, but since it's on the wet palette it's easier for me to mix paints and create different colored glazes. It's also easy to vary the consistency/transparency by changing up the ratio of matte medium and paint. So I can quickly make a section more opaque and another more transparent. Not something I do for all glazes, for in situations like this it's a nice option to have in my tool kit.
And here's the full figure. Still a lot left to paint!
"One of my favourite range of figures ever was Citadel's 1980's licensed "Lord Of The Rings" minis. I have finally decided to get all the miniatures I own painted up (over time) & try to acquire the ones which are missing from my collection (& paint them up too!)". Here is my next completed mini - Gandalf.
It's actually part of a blister of 3 minis (ME1 - Fellowship Heroes) which also includes Strider & Frodo.
He was quite nice to paint overall - not too complicated either.
Thanks for looking!
By Sophie was taken
Painted (mostly) by-the-numbers, Anirion:
This was a departure from my normal style of painting, and I made a number of mistakes, but wanted to stick to the instructions and see how it all turned out. All things considered, I think it looks decent.
I didn’t worry about trying to correct the bend in the staff or any mold lines. And I added a third highlight layer (more yellow) to the robes, to make them pop just a bit more. The camera washed these out, it seems.
The little details probably deserved more attention, but the focus here was clearly on the robes. I think I did learn a few new things, hopefully for the better. More practice will help. Comments and critiques welcome.
Who's Online 18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)