Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarsM

The angry Wizard and the mad Dwarf (lots of pictures)

13 posts in this topic

I think it looks great!

I'm not qualified to comment on OSL, only tried it once myself

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have a couple Grenadier dwarves on my painting desk now, I have to say well done!

 

As for the OSL, I've found two things that work best for me:

1) the lighted areas have to be lighter in color than the base coat.

2) Glaze the appropriate color from the lighting source over the lighted area.

 

Having the start yellow-orange of the fireball would work better if the overall scene were darker.  Fire doesn't impart a strong yellow-orange color on stuff when it's light outside.

 

But since my OSL attempts can be counted on one hand, I might not be the best to offer advice.

 

Still, I love those Grenadier dwarves, so I'm hopeful he can overcome his magic-wielding adversary.  Love the icicles. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think it looks great!

I'm not qualified to comment on OSL, only tried it once myself

 

Thank you.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Doug's Workshop said:

As I have a couple Grenadier dwarves on my painting desk now, I have to say well done!

 

As for the OSL, I've found two things that work best for me:

1) the lighted areas have to be lighter in color than the base coat.

2) Glaze the appropriate color from the lighting source over the lighted area.

 

Having the start yellow-orange of the fireball would work better if the overall scene were darker.  Fire doesn't impart a strong yellow-orange color on stuff when it's light outside.

 

But since my OSL attempts can be counted on one hand, I might not be the best to offer advice.

 

Still, I love those Grenadier dwarves, so I'm hopeful he can overcome his magic-wielding adversary.  Love the icicles. 

 

Thank you about the icicles, I just wish they hang a bit more straight down.. but they were such a hasle to control!

Yes, I think youre right, I should have made the hole scene Darker.

I am sure he will overcome the magic trick, He is mad after all!! :0)

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the whole piece..  putting stories like this is not something I've tried and always appreciate the imagination the goes into their creation.

 

love the basing, snow and icicles and wizard and dwarf combat poses sell the duel

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dwarf should just jump backward, off the stone, and watch the wizard see-saw away.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rilkyn said:

I really like the whole piece..  putting stories like this is not something I've tried and always appreciate the imagination the goes into their creation.

 

love the basing, snow and icicles and wizard and dwarf combat poses sell the duel

 

Thank you! 

I almost find it "hard" to make single figures, I always imagine them in some kind of duel/situation..my imagination just runs away :-)

Therefor I love minis in dynamic poses.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bruunwald said:

The dwarf should just jump backward, off the stone, and watch the wizard see-saw away.

Hahaha :0) 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Great basing and great paint job.

Thank you :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I love the whole thing! OSL is good too.. Very well done composition over all. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic work on this!!

 

I recognize the dwarf, but who makes the wizard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Arc 724
      Frodwine the Young by Red Box Games
      Sculpted by Tre Manor
       
      I painted this one in an effort to cross two or three lines together; 1800 trapper, Final Fantasy wizard and Nordic(in terms of the way Tre Manor sculpted it). I wanted to try some OSL on this one so I went with making his eyes glow. I was "o.k" with the way it turned out. The base is a metal base from a set I got in the Box-of-goodwill a few boxes ago. I'm on a NMM kick right now so no TMM on this one. Over all I am luke-warm with out this turned out. The matte varnish (Vallejo) kind of glossed up for some reason when I sealed it... You live and learn. Hope you like it.
       
       

    • By Corporea
      Whew.  I finished him.  I have to say, this was a fun project.  The idea came to me sometime last year, but it took awhile for me to get around to working on him.  I've decided that monochrome relaxes me.  It's just easier somehow to take color out of the picture and just work on shadows and highlights.  I think I need to vary my levels a bit, but overall, I wanted it to read as a night scene, so I'm happy.  I like the idea of an accent color.  I've been wanting to try that for awhile now.  Though looking at him, I could probably pop the osl on his face. the pumpkin in the back worked out better- most likely because it has larger opening for the eyes.   I tried to find his sku number in the catalog and failed, but this was The Headless Mousling from 2014, sculpted by Gene Van Horne.I used a bones rat, a pillar from the graveyard set, and 2 pumpkins.   Anyway, enjoy and Happy Halloween!  I'm using my new Iphone and seem to have issues editing, so pics may be a bit funky...  




    • By Crowley
      I'm working on painting a big bad bug monster that's mostly in shadow. It's front claws are just barely in torchlight. My Google-fu has failed me. Can anyone point me in the direction of reference pics for flame reflecting off of black carapace? Beetle, alien, whatever... 
       
      Thanks!
    • By Darcstaar

       
      This is was my entry for the 4th quarterly Reaper Facebook contest.  It was good enough for 3rd place!
       
      There were so many well painted models, and awesome interpretations.
       
      As I was planning it, my starting idea was copper nmm.  I didn't want the typical verdigris.  Then I thought a bluish or purple to counter the orange, so that got me thinking Drow with purple glazed into her shadows. 
       
      Then I took that farther to try to get OSL in her eyes, shield, and base as if she was casting 'protection from good' or something.
       
      Sadly, the OSL was saved to the end when I ran out of time.  So I tried a bright rim around those areas, then a purple glaze.  It wasn't striking enough for my tastes, but ... deadlines!
       
      So, I hope you like her.
       
      Sorry if the photo is blurry, it's a cell phone screen grab.
       
      C&C welcome.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)