Sign in to follow this  
LarsM

The angry Wizard and the mad Dwarf (lots of pictures)

I think it looks great!

I'm not qualified to comment on OSL, only tried it once myself

• Like 2

As I have a couple Grenadier dwarves on my painting desk now, I have to say well done!

As for the OSL, I've found two things that work best for me:

1) the lighted areas have to be lighter in color than the base coat.

2) Glaze the appropriate color from the lighting source over the lighted area.

Having the start yellow-orange of the fireball would work better if the overall scene were darker.  Fire doesn't impart a strong yellow-orange color on stuff when it's light outside.

But since my OSL attempts can be counted on one hand, I might not be the best to offer advice.

Still, I love those Grenadier dwarves, so I'm hopeful he can overcome his magic-wielding adversary.  Love the icicles. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think it looks great!

I'm not qualified to comment on OSL, only tried it once myself

Thank you.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Doug's Workshop said:

As I have a couple Grenadier dwarves on my painting desk now, I have to say well done!

As for the OSL, I've found two things that work best for me:

1) the lighted areas have to be lighter in color than the base coat.

2) Glaze the appropriate color from the lighting source over the lighted area.

Having the start yellow-orange of the fireball would work better if the overall scene were darker.  Fire doesn't impart a strong yellow-orange color on stuff when it's light outside.

But since my OSL attempts can be counted on one hand, I might not be the best to offer advice.

Still, I love those Grenadier dwarves, so I'm hopeful he can overcome his magic-wielding adversary.  Love the icicles. 

Thank you about the icicles, I just wish they hang a bit more straight down.. but they were such a hasle to control!

Yes, I think youre right, I should have made the hole scene Darker.

I am sure he will overcome the magic trick, He is mad after all!! :0)

• Like 1

I really like the whole piece..  putting stories like this is not something I've tried and always appreciate the imagination the goes into their creation.

love the basing, snow and icicles and wizard and dwarf combat poses sell the duel

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rilkyn said:

I really like the whole piece..  putting stories like this is not something I've tried and always appreciate the imagination the goes into their creation.

love the basing, snow and icicles and wizard and dwarf combat poses sell the duel

Thank you! 

I almost find it "hard" to make single figures, I always imagine them in some kind of duel/situation..my imagination just runs away :-)

Therefor I love minis in dynamic poses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruunwald said:

The dwarf should just jump backward, off the stone, and watch the wizard see-saw away.

Hahaha :0) 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      03880: Phineas Greybone, Necromancer sculpted by Tre Manor

Overall I'm really happy with how the light effects worked out.  This was a really difficult miniature to photograph.  The main challenges painting him were the glowing skull and the very irregular base.  I tired to make the skull stand out by making very deep purple shadows around it.  I used red, orange and white glazes and appear to glow, but without making it look too orange.  Making the base look dark enough was very difficult because it has a very irregular surface and every jagged edge catches the real light and makes it look brighter than I want it to in comparison to the shadow areas on the main figure.  In future for a project of this type, I would use a smoother style of base so I have more control over the shadows and lighting like on the main figure. 

Comments and criticism are welcome. 

• By Geoff Davis
      03157: Garwin Greywand, Wizard by Bobby Jackson

Comments and Criticism welcome.

• By spitfire23bc
      I have some vague plans involving some Red Wizards of Thay in a future D&D game, so thought I'd get some painted in preparation. This is the first, which I'm very pleased with.

The face was done mostly with the Tanned Skin triad, with some extra shadow achieved by mixing in blue liner. The beard was Grey Liner plus Rainy Grey, with increasing amounts of Pure White mixed in for the highlights. Similar for the chains, though they got a blue liner coat. Robes were a Spattered Crimson base coat over Brown Liner, with Nightshade Purple shadows, and Gory Red mixed with increasing amounts of orange and/or yellow for the highlights. The scythe handle and scroll bone were mostly Bone triad, with a brown wash and some shading with Woodstain Brown. The blade was mostly Pure Black, Rainy Grey and Pure White, with some Blue Liner mixed in. The scroll got a Polished Bone base coat, with some thin streaks of various light browns, Brown Liner for the glyphs, and a brown wash over the whole thing.

This is probably one of the best paint jobs I've done, and certainly the best face to date 

• By Geoff Davis
      03157: Garwin Greywand, Wizard sculpted by Bobby Jackson.  Continuing on with practicing OSL.  I started by undershading with dark brown and purple and highlighted up to linen white on his body and base.  I did the same thing but with black and greys on his staff.

I then added the blue for his robe, using two sets of blues.  One set has no light effect colour added.  The other set has the yellow added.  I did the shading and highlighting on the dark side with the blues that didn't have the yellow added.  I used the set with the yellow added anywhere that I thought the light was going to hit, using the undershading as a guide as to where that would be.  The yellow I mixed with the blue is also used on the orb.

Then I added the other colours (particularly the staff and the fleshtones) using the same approach of mixing up two sets of the colours to use side by side.

Overall I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.  A few of the values seem out of balance though.  Particularly parts of the staff compared to the adjacent areas on his robe.  Some of the flesh tones that are further away from the orb need to be darker still.  The part of the staff directly below the orb seems too bright overall, especially right beneath the orb.  Still a work in progress.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)