Grayfax

Using Natural Wood Rounds

9 posts in this topic

My brother was cutting up cedar limbs to use for a project for his wife.  I figured I might as well grab a few just in case I might could turn them into bases or platforms for miniatures.  I have several sizes and several heights, but when I started looking I was not finding much on integrating something like this into a base.  Lots of things for already prepared woods, but not many ideas on fresher wood.  Now, most of these limbs were dropped from trees, so, not exactly full of sap:

IMG_4235.thumb.jpg.e8c119cf7eb189c18a3b8c04331b9e51.jpg

I am thinking I would need sealer but wasn't sure how that would interact when trying to get a miniature to adhere, or should I strictly use the taller ones as a plinth of some kind that the completed miniature sits on?

Thoughts? Ideas? Practical experience?

Also need to find the best way to handle the bark (leave it, clear it, etc.).

2 people like this

The first thing I thought was that I would have liked it cut into cubes. 

There is really nice grain.  If it is dry and free from sap, you might try just an application of tung oil.  But you shouldn't have issues gluing to any sealer. 

3 people like this

This is the kinda thing I'm looking for.

I have bought stuff like this before.

If it is a fresh one, let it dry so the saps will be gone.

You said it doesn't contain much so that's great.

I bought something like that in a garden centre and I covered it in dash clay before building the diorama on it.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65337-halloween-pumpkin-house-and-witches-project-by-glitterwolf/&

Another wooden disc ( not even a tree round) I primed before building.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73384-the-elder-god-escapes-his-container-by-glitterwolf/

3 people like this

I would leave the bark, personally.

4 people like this

55 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I would leave the bark, personally.

Oh yeah for sure!

I would use a little varnish or sealer though to protect it.

3 people like this

Cool.  Thanks guys.  I have enough I can experiment with, so once the Tung Oil arrives, I'll see how it all goes together and if I can retain enough of the bark to feel like it does currently (minus the fly-aways).

3 people like this

I did a diorama out of a small piece like this for my wife's birthday this year. It was dried poplar. I wanted to save the rough bark on the edges but most of it came off when I sawed it. Can't really give much advice. All I did was paint it with thick craft paints as a base coat and then painted or flocked on top of that.

2 people like this

Minwax has an acrylic sealer.  I use it with some regularity on wooden items I engrave.

1 person likes this

Took a couple pics of what I did. The river was made with a router, some of the bits were bought at Michaels and the rest were just rocks and twigs from around the farm and a little flock and moss from my terrain supplies. I didn't seal the wood before painting but did use a spray varnish after. I'd probably want to use a sealer like Sergeant_Crunch if I was to make another one.

IMG_5288.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

5 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By monoRAIL
      Here's my attempt at Narthrax in a Smaug inspired color-scheme. She's defending her kill which is hidden at the back of the base.

The base is a 10cm MDF board with some 3D printed rocks attached to create a cross-section effect on the edge of the base. I coated the 3D printed parts in plaster filler to add texture and used some cork, gravel and sand to finish the base.

The horse parts are removable to make a less scary version. They're made from some old citadel horse and skeletal horse models. The horse head has a small metal pin on the side that inserts into a hole in Narthrax's hand.

The ponies in the last shot are from Impact Miniatures Chibi Pony set.

• By KingMob
      http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/07/mv-challenge-2017.html?m=1

Peace and blessings,  brothers and sisters. The crew at Massive Voodoo have let loose their call for their 2017 Challenge.

The crew at Massive Voodoo set out challenges to their viewers in order to push our abilities past our comfort zone. This year they have two (2) Challenges for us!

1. Create a base using water effects.

2. Paint a Disney Infinity character.

There are limitations in this challenge - like on the basing Challenge: the goal is to create a base with a water effect, not to focus on a figure. They said we can use a small animal to accent the base, and Reaper has some awesome Familiars we can use. Also, Infinity Challenge is one figure, not multiple, which allows us to focus doing our best on one figure. Full details can be found by clicking on the link. 

I heard that little voice too: "I cannot win this! Why should I even try?" 
      Well shut the front door little-voice-in-my-head! 

I know I have much to learn and improve in my own Art, which is why this is a Challenge. We cannot lose: we win just by pushing past our comfort zone and learning more about our beloved hobby. :D

I said it before and I will keep repeating it: I believe in you. I see the awesome work you all do, and you believe in me too. That love helps me believe in myself and makes me want to work harder to push past my own limits.

Plus we get to paint a character from the Disney franchise - which includes Marvel and Star Wars! I didn't even consider painting these as well as playing with them! ( Don't judge too harshly. Elsa kicks butt.)

For a full list of characters available, check 'em out here:

http://www.portalcharacters.com/disney-infinity/figures.asp

You can find them individually and inexpensively on eBay. 

Now, if you will excuse me: I have some Reaper Familiars to peruse. :D

May your efforts be rewarded and blessed!

• By EngineerJeff
      It took a bit to get here, but I finally got the latest tutorial out.  This video shows how I go about making swamp bases.  Let me know what you think.

• By wdmartin
      I've got a couple of pewter minis I want to rebase, and the clippers I've been using in the past are probably not going to do the trick.  One has a a long sweeping dress that covers almost the full base she's on, and the other has great big gallumphing feet that kind of sink into the terrain.  So I've been thinking of trying a jewellery saw.  Any recommendations?  I'm not sure what to look for in one of those, but I hear the blades vary in quality quite a bit.
    • By Couvs
      Hi all.  I was having a close look at the Eli Quicknight mini (last month's 25th anniversary model) and I had a friend show me how to properly file mold lines but upon looking at the one on the left arm of this model there isn't a whole lot of space for a file.  In addition to that, there's a rivet on the shoulder plate of that arm that's right next to the mold line (see the attached pic).  What would be the best way to deal with this particular mold line?

• Who's Online   31 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)