Chaoswolf

GW to re-release Necromunda!

65 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

As we would say in my youth, gag me with a dead smurf.

The thought of having to worry about how many ribbons are on the sleeve of this model, button not he coat of that unit, and which color trousers were issued from 1612-1614 so that the 6th regiment can be properly outfitted and not get confused with the 8th... *puke*

Heh, that's part of what I like about historicals. How did field uniforms differ from parade uniforms after a few months in the field? What dye did the British use in the Peninsula and how would it fade in the weather? Is there some weird unit that everybody will think is inappropriate for the army but I will know is actually just fine?

The research is part of the fun for me. YMMV, obviously.

4 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

At least with GW I can make up my own insignia and marking ad decide for myself why this guy has a black cauldron with silver trim and that one has silver with black trim and everybody else has gold and green.

Sometimes I just hate having to make decisions about color schemes. Do I want to do black and red, gray and green, puce and magenta? What color facings would look good with the blue jacket and red pants? I know it sounds great now, but will I still like it when I look at it in a few years or will I decide that my younger self was an idiot? Historicals can allow me to just paint without much worrying whether I've made the right choices, since the choices were made by some other idiot long ago.

Not always what I'm looking for, but it can be relaxing to just put the paint on the figures.

Always interesting to see how others view the hobby.

4 people like this

I love doing the research too. You learn a lot about history by researching the gear & uniforms/costumes.

I always get a kick out of someone that does FREX an IG army that they base on WWII Germans or such...

Damon.

6 people like this

47 minutes ago, Lars Porsenna said:

I love doing the research too. You learn a lot about history by researching the gear & uniforms/costumes.

As for me, I love the research. I love the knowing. I hate replicating someone else's fashion statements.

6 people like this

I started out building and painting Military Models.

I was so tight about modelling/painting them as they should be, it got in the way of me having fun.

So when the first Fantasy miniatures showed up, I happily switched.

Right now I have a few historical busts and 75mm minis, but most of those are ancients so almost Fantasy because so little is known about colours etc.

I will paint for fun !!!

And I love creating and painting Armies like Bryan, I never play.

Played just a few times in my entire life 40K and WHFB.

I rather play on PC and build and paint..

3 people like this

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I started out building and painting Military Models.

I was so tight about modelling/painting them as they should be, it got in the way of me having fun.

So when the first Fantasy miniatures showed up, I happily switched.

Right now I have a few historical busts and 75mm minis, but most of those are ancients so almost Fantasy because so little is known about colours etc.

I will paint for fun !!!

And I love creating and painting Armies like Bryan, I never play.

Played just a few times in my entire life 40K and WHFB.

I rather play on PC and build and paint..

For me, the play's the thing,

In which to catch the conscience of a king....

Megan and I had a very long lasting argument on the nature of Craft vs. Art - with Megan holding to the idea that painting miniatures is Art*, and me taking the position of Craft - that when I paint minis, I am doing so in order to use them, which makes it Craft.

Then, when we were moving, my paints were in storage, and I... couldn't paint!... Megan won that argument - you don't get withdrawal symptoms like that over a Craft....

I got my start with Minifig Prussians, circa 1975. ::):

*Blink, blink* I just googled 'Minifig' 'Prussians' - and got links to Lego Prussians.... I think a part of my soul just went *EEP!* and died of happiness....

The Auld Grump

* More, that I made more money with my Art than she did with hers... which made me a successful artist.... (Artists are woefully underpaid. ::(: )

6 people like this

I love history and I like historical minis. But I don't like the button counters and people that are too picky. So all my historical minis are from far enough back that you can't give an exact example of what they used to be. I use them in fantasy games so it's all good. Romans, 13th century russians and 15th century germans (GW Empire) fighting elves, dwarves, goblins, etc.

What annoyed me slightly with Mordheim was I spent so much time planning the warband, collecting and painting the minis and then after the first battle everything changed. I couldn't keep up with WYSIWYG on everybody. We weren't fussy about it but I love doing minis that show the obvious additions.

4 people like this

1 minute ago, Zink said:

I love history and I like historical minis. But I don't like the button counters and people that are too picky.

I know those people exist, but TBH, I've never had a problem with people being obnoxious about uniform issues. Occasionally I'll see someone asking a question, but I've never thought it was some sort of gotcha.

For that matter, at most historical miniatures painting contests, I've seen explicit guidance for the judges that the painter has probably done more research on the subject than the judge, so the judge should assume that if it's odd, go with it anyway.

None of which is an argument that any particular person should paint historicals, just that some of the worries that people have about historicals miniatures and gamers might be overstated.

2 people like this

I love History and I love the research.

My own .."this is not how it supposed to look like"  Spoiled my fun in painting Historicals years ago.

Most of the time I was also dissapointed with inaccurate versions of model kits.

Hence the transfer to Fantasy and Scifi.

Lately I paint Busts and Larger Scales too and I find myself attracted to some Historicals again.

Most are like @Zink mentioned relatively safe, a Roman Centurion, A Greek Hoplite, A Celt Warrior, a Viking Beserker.

Basically I can do what I want with those, just a few pointers.. most is still unknown about their colours or at least debated.

And they could easily fall into the Fantasy Category.. just themed like the real thing.

I do have one bust of a French Imperial Guard from the Napoleonic period.

I always loved their uniforms.

So I will try to do my best on that one.

Already putting it off till I know how to do it...

There is something very relaxing about Fantasy...I pick up a mini and think..what colour do I want to paint today?

Instead of..Hmmm, I need my Feldgrau for this or it is in the wrong period/region/regiment.

But to each his own of course.

I just get in my own way with this.

I know many a movie was spoiled for me seeing inaccurate Historical stuff.

A movie set in WW II where the Germans drove around in an US Halftrack...hmmm ok, could be a captured one, it happened.

A whole platoon ..."grabs chair" ok...they ehhhh captured a whole enemy unit..."sweats" could be...a bit too much maybe..but it could be..

The Germans are driving Patton Tanks!!!

"Screams and turns TV off"

Sadly this really happened, don't remember the name of the movie anymore, but that was one of the worst examples of How to spoil a Movie for Glitterwolf!

Edited by Glitterwolf

If you pick the right historical army, you can have your fluff written,not by some hack genre writer targeting 12 year old boys, but by Shakespeare .  Apologies to all the good fluff writers out there :)

More on topic, it seems that this new Necromunda isn't going to come with 3D terrain.   If true that seems a shame.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sadly this really happened, don't remember the name of the movie anymore, but that was one of the worst examples of How to spoil a Movie for Glitterwolf!

Battle of the Bulge as well as Patton both contracted with the Spanish Army for equipment & locations. Tiger tanks were actually M47 Pattons, US tanks actually M24 Chaffees (at least that is plausable), etc. The "Wrong Tank Syndrome" is very prevalent in historical or WWII movies, because most people don't care, or could tell the difference between a SHerman, Patton, Pershing, Tiger or T-34 anyway. The fact that more modern movies are putting more effort into being plasusable, using either actual surviving equipment (like Fury which used various Shermans as well as the Bovington Tiger, despite being a terrible movie...), or decently done ViSMODs (like Saving Private Ryan) shows that there is a better awareness of the issue & desire by filmakers to at least put some effort into it...

Still find it ironic that Big Red One used Israeli iShermans for German tanks...

Damon.

3 people like this

Hmmm, rumors seem to be saying that the game will be split in two - with the rules for multi-level terrain being in the second release, and the first focusing on just the gangs.

Gods above and below, I hope GW doesn't mess this up.

The Auld Grump

I already don't like what I'm hearing. Particularly if they think they're going to soak me for a hundred for a gang box and then another hundred for the multilevel terrain box.

I wouldn't say the terrain rules were especially complex in Necromunda.

On 9/6/2017 at 0:49 PM, etherial said:

As for me, I love the research. I love the knowing. I hate replicating someone else's fashion statements.

This. ^^

3 people like this

20 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, rumors seem to be saying that the game will be split in two - with the rules for multi-level terrain being in the second release, and the first focusing on just the gangs.

Gods above and below, I hope GW doesn't mess this up.

The Auld Grump

I haven't heard specific mention of terrain rules in a second release, but this is what they said on the Warhammer Community site:

"As well as the underhive style of play covered by the boxed set, there will also be ways to play Necromunda with the multi-level skirmishes that defined the classic version of the game."

The tiles and bulkheads are designed to represent sewers and tunnels in the underhive.

gamenecromunda.thumb.jpg.6ad32bf8776d45260c5624672c92b3ee.jpg

2 people like this