Chaoswolf

GW to re-release Necromunda!

65 posts in this topic

Yeah, what he said above.

You get a playable game right out of the box; the rumored second release is 'advanced rules' or somesuch...

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah, what he said above.

You get a playable game right out of the box; the rumored second release is 'advanced rules' or somesuch...

Which does not answer the question as to whether the initial rules release will be worth playing - or if it will be a steaming pile of AoS....

What determines 'advanced rules'?

'Cause, really, handling 3D terrain shouldn't be an example of 'advanced rules'.

It was integral to the original game.

It is integral to Mantic's Deadzone.

It is integral to Blue Moon's skirmish games.

It is integral to Osprey's Frostgrave....

It is not 'advanced'.

Does this mean that the campaign rules will also be 'advanced'?

If so, why would I waste my money when there are alternatives - including their own older game - that will do the job better, with less expenditure of funds?

AoS lowered my expectations to the point where they will need to prove they can do a good game again, because recent experience is mixed at best.

The Auld Grump - I want the new game to be at least as good as the original, otherwise, they are wasting my time.

That's fair, and tbh I'm of a similar mindset, though if the boxed game seems like reasonable value for two gangs then I'll probably be looking to pick one up at some point. They'll make great raiders for TNT even if the game is pants.

On 8/9/2017 at 10:46 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

What determines 'advanced rules'?

I remember reading somewhere that the standard rules would be tile based as shown on the included board.

And the advanced rules could be the normal skirmish game

But I completely agree, the included terrain is severely lacking.
These kinds of games, benefit greatly from some verticality, in their terrain and the rules to support it.

1 hour ago, Spacefrog said:

I remember reading somewhere that the standard rules would be tile based as shown on the included board.

And the advanced rules could be the normal skirmish game

But I completely agree, the included terrain is severely lacking.
These kinds of games, benefit greatly from some verticality, in their terrain and the rules to support it.

What the Frog said. 

The original game had amazing vertical terrain. What I see in the picture above is just Punk Space Hulk.

We're going to have to do better than this if we want to lure back the people we alienated, GW...

On 9/6/2017 at 6:58 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

I know those people exist, but TBH, I've never had a problem with people being obnoxious about uniform issues. Occasionally I'll see someone asking a question, but I've never thought it was some sort of gotcha.

Most of the people I met like that were women in the SCA, like the one who once descended bright-eyed on one of my friends and said "Oh, your dress is pink. Don't you know that's not period?" etc. etc. and ruined her whole day.

To which I called tauroid waste products and pulled umpteen old paintings* and primary source citations of pink medieval and Renaissance garments to soothe my friend's grief and reassure her that the know-it-all knew nothing.

Experiences like that taught me to be more mellow about strict historical authenticity in social situations, because it's not kind to hurt someone over something they cannot easily change.

*Starting with  Botticelli's "Birth of Venus" and also things like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/12/a6/1e/12a61e3630e1cb7e4d6dd6cfbbcec000--renaissance-portraits-renaissance-fashion.jpg

6 people like this

37 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Most of the people I met like that were women in the SCA, like the one who once descended bright-eyed on one of my friends and said "Oh, your dress is pink. Don't you know that's not period?" etc. etc. and ruined her whole day.

To which I called tauroid waste products and pulled umpteen old paintings* and primary source citations of pink medieval and Renaissance garments to soothe my friend's grief and reassure her that the know-it-all knew nothing.

Experiences like that taught me to be more mellow about strict historical authenticity in social situations, because it's not kind to hurt someone over something they cannot easily change.

*Starting with  Botticelli's "Birth of Venus" and also things like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/12/a6/1e/12a61e3630e1cb7e4d6dd6cfbbcec000--renaissance-portraits-renaissance-fashion.jpg

A friend of mine (Countess Khymber of the Outlands) and I at one point made plans to do full Landsknecht garb, but in a mix of dayglo fabrics. The "theory" was "They would have done it if they could have", but it would primarily have been an exercise in nose-tweaking. Plus it would have been both fun and memorable. And it would only have bothered people who I wouldn't have minded bothering. Alas, that never came to pass.

The SCA was formed with the intent of recreating the fun parts of the middle ages; that goal seems lost on some people.

4 people like this

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

You should have told her 'this isn't pink - it's royal purple'. (Which was, in fact... pink. Like a flamingo... I mean, really pink.)

Back when I was doing ACW reenactment we called such people 'Farbs'. (As in 'Far be it from me to complain, but'....)

I will admit - I have a spasm of it myself, while watching the movie Gettysburg. (Understandable though - most of the extras in that movie were wearing their own uniforms! They were reenactors, being allowed to do their thing in front of the cameras - but sometimes folks got put into the wrong unit, so you had some mixing going on.)

And I get annoyed with SCA folks that think that it takes several minutes to reload a smoothbore muzzle loader. (I can get in two or three shots in a minute - and I am by no means fast.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
4 people like this

22 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

A friend of mine (Countess Khymber of the Outlands) and I at one point made plans to do full Landsknecht garb, but in a mix of dayglo fabrics. The "theory" was "They would have done it if they could have", but it would primarily have been an exercise in nose-tweaking. Plus it would have been both fun and memorable. And it would only have bothered people who I wouldn't have minded bothering. Alas, that never came to pass.

The SCA was formed with the intent of recreating the fun parts of the middle ages; that goal seems lost on some people.

I don't see how people can think it's fun if they don't include re-enacting the spread of the plague.

3 people like this

Just now, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I don't see how people can think it's fun if they don't include re-enacting the spread of the plague.

I can recommend some people to start the party.

::D:

4 people like this

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I can recommend some people to start the party.

::D:

Me too :ph34r:

3 people like this

so... anyone know of a good technique for doing animal prints on clothes? because The eschers kind of need terrible zebra, and leopard prints on their clothes.

3 people like this

23 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Back when I was doing ACW reenactment we called such people 'Farbs'. (As in 'Far be it from me to complain, but'....)

I was always told "Farb" was a portmanteau of "fake garb".

2 people like this

53 minutes ago, etherial said:

I was always told "Farb" was a portmanteau of "fake garb".

Quick! To the Wikipedia Mobile! (Turns out that there are several variant opinions on why the Farb....)

The Auld Grump

On 9/10/2017 at 2:27 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

You should have told her 'this isn't pink - it's royal purple'. (Which was, in fact... pink. Like a flamingo... I mean, really pink.)

Oh yeah, Tyrian purple, I know. Pretty dang close to process magenta.

Speaking of which, "magenta" was a coal-tar dye named after a fashionable Italian battle of the time, and like its cousin "mauve" is really an eye-watering electric hot pink.  But mauve is a fugitive dye that rapidly deteriorates to a soft lavender-blue-grey, the color that the next generation or two associated with the name.

1 person likes this