Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Having a hard time getting started back up on my keeper's sanctum diorama... I think I need to purposely take a break from it and work on some other stuff to get my creative juices flowing again. I have this idea in my head for a 75mm diorama featuring black sun miniatures' "Barbarian and the Lost Princess" (Conan) vs SC75's "Brock the Wanderer"
I'm thinking in this piece that it will have Conan carrying the princess through a dungeon type setting and then Brock standing there in front of a doorway. I'm going to really pull from artwork that I admire in regards to barbarians such as Frazetta and Patrick J. Jones.
Right now I'm cleaning off the flash and mold lines, as soon as I do that, I'll wash everything and start to assemble as much as I can without causing issues during painting.
Mood and color scheme inspiration pic from Patrick J. Jones -
I've sculpted 3 tengu figures for Reaper -- a rogue, samurai (warrior), and wizard -- but until recently I had painted only the tengu rogue, and that was 2 years ago (July 2015).
I had an idea to paint the warrior and enter both the rogue and warrior as a combined entry into the Open category of the painting contest at ReaperCon. They would have been "Tengu Twins", because the samurai uses the exact same head and feet as the rogue, but with a new body.
I started painting him on the Thursday of the con, but managed to finish only the head and set him onto a base. On Friday, I GM'd a game of Pathfinder Society and taught a class in the afternoon, and had only an hour to paint in between. I blocked in some jade green on the armor, and purple-brown for the cloth -- dark colors like I had used on the rogue -- but they weren't working well.
So I set the warrior aside and put the rogue into the contest by himself.
One night in the hotel after ReaperCon, I watched 3 episodes of the blade-forging reality show "Forged in Fire".
In one episode, the smiths had to put a hamon (wavy line) on the knife they were forging, so I knew should add a hamon to the tengu's sword.
Back at home, I was walking around my neighborhood when I noticed the tiles on a nearby apartment building, in ultramarine blue and turquoise. Inspiration for the armor!
I painted for several hours last Sunday and Monday and was nearly finished but wasn't sure of the last few moves: freehand on the cloth, and maybe some color shifts.
I paused and took photos:
And I sketched over it in Photoshop:
So I went back to the painting table for a couple of hours....
A while ago I had a poll to vote which bust I would paint next.
This was the winner.
So we better get started ( ok I'm also painting my Brutus Bust but she was first)
She has many options, ( with or without hat, with or without a parrot, and with a shirt or topless)
I'm going for full options.
Trying to make the shirt somewhat sheer.
OMG...I never done that!
Wish me luck!
I've had a chunk of antler sitting in my drawer of basing materials for years, waiting for the right figure to use it on. I recently acquired the Bombshell Miniature Morihalda bust, and inspiration stuck! The antler was cut at a weird angle but I was able to use a hacksaw and a miter box to square off the top. I have the dilemma of trying to figure out a) the right orientation of the bust to the base, and b) if I want to fare in the bust pedestal to the antler using green stuff. I plan on putting a couple of pins in her base, and then matching sockets in the antler. I figure I can blank off the top of the antler with shrink wrap and then do the sculpting work (if I choose to pursue that) which would enable me to separate them again for priming/painting purposes. Anyway, I've come to you brave forumites for advice! I've got four pictures attached showing the four possible orientations of the bust/antler. Let me know which one you think is the most appealing choice! I'm partial to #3 myself, but my wife likes #4.
Who's Online 26 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)