172 posts in this topic

Starting the base. The light is a tea light I took the plastic casing off of. The light flickers, this is where the summoned demon will arise with flicking fire and smoke which will hide the light, but (hopefully) give a really cool effect!

IMG_6350.thumb.JPG.3b3f21122fa6c6702a7a81d2808e2e7c.JPG

12 people like this

Neat idea!

Shield looks better.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Neat idea!

Shield looks better.

Thank you and thank you again for the honest feedback on the shield. We all tend to get too close to our projects and I always like to take a day or two and think about what someone has to say and really look at it from a more objective view. You were absolutely right and that shield looked "off" especially in the pics. Looking through my bits box again allowed me to find a shield that matched the sword's designs and really bring more cohesion to the figure. 

Tonight's work thus far, more work on the base -

You can see I carved out a couple of portals for what will be wood doors here. The balsa wood is for the 2nd story which will have a figure or two on it.

The stairs will have a small landing and I want it to extend over the edge to add more drama. Toothpicks in the foam so that it's lined up when I use tacky glue to attach the two pieces of foam.

599cd54343e7d_Base2.thumb.jpg.24352282e0e016e8f53cdc49ebd128d0.jpg

Closer pic of the back wall.

599cd543dbcad_Base3.thumb.jpg.9a6caa2ed54902e2084229c9e00d8d05.jpg

Here you can see how I carved out the area in the foam for the balsa wood and allowing for a nice tight fit for the 2nd floor.

599cd5448b372_Base4.thumb.jpg.9384b6013734c082b08cc5a552557a7f.jpg

Going to use a happy seppuku and green stuff to create a couple of wood doors that will go into the openings.

599cd5454d919_Base5.thumb.jpg.b7f4349ebac3aef3f9b5c5375eb3f802.jpg

The foam is not going to be visible at all when I get done, I'll be putting materials over it, but the foam is a nice way to get everything in scale and be able to build up from.

C&C are welcomed and appreciated!

11 people like this

Went with super sculpey oven baked clay instead of the green stuff. I was having a hard time getting the green stuff to take on the look that I wanted and the clay is 15 minutes to cure instead of 4+ hours!

It looks a tad rough right now, but I'll put some door nobs on them and I'll clean up the inside of the doorways with something outta my basing collection. The bottom of the lower door will also align just fine because the base at the bottom will be up a tad bit due to adding some stonework or woodwork flooring later on. Overall, I'm very happy how they look right now, better than I thought I could do.

599ce9283de37_Base6.thumb.jpg.604c84fdcc3e31e2997e9e9c13d532e4.jpg

12 people like this

Oxide paste, great for a ton of basing needs. I saw James Wappel using this stuff on his blog a while back and invested in it. Can't recommend it highly enough!

599ced53cef5e_Base7.thumb.jpg.40b802dbf089bf3aaca83526cb3c1d89.jpg

I have an option here to leave it alone and make it look like hand scraped plaster after priming it and painting it or I can put stuff over it and the paste creates a nice barrier to be able to use superglue against as we know that superglue will eat the insulation. I kinda like the look of the hand scraped plaster, it's different and adds some more character to what will be an otherwise dreary dungeon workshop look. Maybe the Keeper is actually stylish and keeps a clean summoning area with very little dirt/clutter? Let's see what everyone says here as the project continues to evolve. I'm not set on anything at this point and just enjoy the building process!

Please give me your comments/thoughts!

9 people like this

Are you putting a couple "metal" strips or wooden planks across your doors? To me you just need something that would hold all of that wood together so it would stand upright.

It's really coming together. Looking forward to see how it comes out!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Pochi said:

Are you putting a couple "metal" strips or wooden planks across your doors? To me you just need something that would hold all of that wood together so it would stand upright.

It's really coming together. Looking forward to see how it comes out!

Yup! With brass etching. ::D:

Thank you!

Any other suggestions?

4 people like this

I like the idea of plaster walls.  Though, maybe it was from a previous owner and it isn't as pristine as it once was as the summoner has taken over and made it his lair.  I think clean and pristine is not his style... but that's just me...

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

I like the idea of plaster walls.  Though, maybe it was from a previous owner and it isn't as pristine as it once was as the summoner has taken over and made it his lair.  I think clean and pristine is not his style... but that's just me...

So stained plaster walls and maybe a candle or candles or torch near the doorways with soot stains?

Hmm, perhaps an old tapestry on the second floor wall?

2 people like this

I'm concerned with the size of the base, but its had to tell till I see the minis on it. Remember to keep it compact, don't spread things out to much. But then i have told you that before. ::D:

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Heisler said:

I'm concerned with the size of the base, but its had to tell till I see the minis on it. Remember to keep it compact, don't spread things out to much. But then i have told you that before. ::D:

Yup! The base is 4 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches long. It will have a total of 7 figures + furnishings on it and a stair case that has a landing coming from the left corner as you view it, which will take up some more space. 

I know I need to keep it compact, so it's as small as I can make it without it going the other direction with overcrowding. There's going to be magical effects and leaping figures and height to it so that should also up the drama and movement of the piece. 

Tonight I will mock it all up as much as I can with placements to get needed feedback. Please let me know what you think after seeing those if I need to scale down the size. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

So stained plaster walls and maybe a candle or candles or torch near the doorways with soot stains?

Hmm, perhaps an old tapestry on the second floor wall?

Those would be good.  And if you have a table with some scrolls and loose papers near the summoning they could have some dynamic shifting... of course, you have to put this thing on a plane... so YMMV...

1 person likes this

Nice progress!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice progress!

Danke!

1 person likes this

Mock up! 

The ranger will be on some steps (not a ramp), the steps I have in mind will go down, have a small landing and then move off to the right where the paladin is now. I want it to look like she just came down them and is now rushing the Keeper. The mage, cleric, and ranger are all going to be focusing on the demon being summoned. The orc barbarian is going to be leaping off a railing towards the Keeper. 

I think I'll add some kind of magical effect like a lighting bolt flying from the mage's right hand down towards the demon.

599e18dc6203f_Mockup1.thumb.jpg.9786d4c4e3cf36ea618d3a8978f69f34.jpg

Thoughts?

7 people like this