171 posts in this topic

I noticed in the pics that the 2nd story portion seemed too wide and had too much space, so I cut it back by about 2cm, it's now approximately 30cm wide from the wall outwards.

Going to try to build the steps that I see in my head, thinking of what kind of material to use. I could go with more foam and build it up with a landing or try to sweep it outward without a landing and having it curve back towards the paladin.

1 person likes this

I need to see it with the stairs, at least mocked up. Right now it looks crowded and I don't feel a flow to the piece. Unfortunately I can't see it the way you do, so I'm missing the vision. The story I can see, it's the flow of action that is not coming together for me.

3 people like this

13 minutes ago, Heisler said:

I need to see it with the stairs, at least mocked up. Right now it looks crowded and I don't feel a flow to the piece. Unfortunately I can't see it the way you do, so I'm missing the vision. The story I can see, it's the flow of action that is not coming together for me.

Yeah, it's hard to see with it how it is now, that big ramp overpowers it and crowds it rather than enhances. 

Do you think I should replace the barbarian with the cleric and have the ranged truly ranged instead of having the barbarian leaping off a railing which could easily fall off/become damaged in transit?

1 person likes this

Project like bombed.   You've certainly been developing quite a knack for diorama's.  It's always a pleasure to see you work through these.

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, Silvervane said:

Project like bombed.   You've certainly been developing quite a knack for diorama's.  It's always a pleasure to see you work through these.

Thanks! I love to build, it's challenging and fun. It also allows me to tell more of a story, the feedback I get around here is invaluable as my ideas aren't always fully formed and getting the advice on how I can improve or tweak things is half the fun for me too.

1 person likes this

I condensed it a bit on the top floor by about 20-25%. I also cut about an inch off the back moving the wall forward. 

The stairs I'm building with balsa wood. Using superglue and accelerant. It allows me to build these stairs quickly and the bond is strong.

599e3b2fc3796_Base8.thumb.jpg.ffc705d9b3e9973ea4149e9790cb717d.jpg

Hopefully, now you can all see where I'm going with this staircase, sweeping out over the edge creating more drama and then bringing it back into the scene so it's all not straight angles. I'll clean up the insides of the steps so they are more circular around the column.

What do you all think of these two columns? Good idea? Add or detract from the scene? They help stabilize the upper story that's for sure.

10 people like this

Really like the stairs and the columns they'll add some interest behind the paladin without making it too busy, the space behind her looked kinda dead in the last mock up.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Wyvernfire said:

Really like the stairs and the columns they'll add some interest behind the paladin without making it too busy, the space behind her looked kinda dead in the last mock up.

Thank you ::):

That's what I was thinking too, give some added interest and they serve a purpose for stability of the scene. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Stairs are done as far as elevation goes and getting them from the top floor out over the edge and back to the ground level. I need to do some railings for the stairs, for the second story (?), and clean up the inside of the stairs more as it's at a wonky angle compared to the column. 

599e417ee31a3_Base9.thumb.jpg.87319c1ab73fd1a0d4203f0a19f10f72.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
10 people like this

I think cutting down the top floor was a good idea as I could see that there might have been too much dead space with just the two minis up there. Likewise the columns help fill in the dead space underneath. 

2 people like this

47 minutes ago, SGHawkins09 said:

I think cutting down the top floor was a good idea as I could see that there might have been too much dead space with just the two minis up there. Likewise the columns help fill in the dead space underneath. 

Thanks! Glad you're liking it. 

9 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Danke!

That's German...::P:

Dutch would be  Bedankt!  Or Dank je wel!

I love what you're doing there, great job on those stairs.

1 person likes this

reducing the balcony helped.   I would leave the ranger upstairs and have the Orc fighter rushing in down the stairs.   I also think you need to look at the placement of the summoner... kinda hidden in the first run and did not seem to be a focal point for any of the attackers.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Yeah, it's hard to see with it how it is now, that big ramp overpowers it and crowds it rather than enhances. 

Do you think I should replace the barbarian with the cleric and have the ranged truly ranged instead of having the barbarian leaping off a railing which could easily fall off/become damaged in transit?

The stairs help make it come together a lot more for me. Unlike everyone else I actually don't like the columns, they feel to chunky to me. But that's a decision best left to you. The Barbarian coming jumping off the railing is going to be tough to pull off and I might be tempted to do the final assembly in TX if you go that route. A shot with figure placement might be helpful again at this stage. I may need to bow out from further comment at this point, we haven't made judging assignments yet and I would hate to have to withdraw from judging a very interesting piece.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That's German...::P:

Dutch would be  Bedankt!  Or Dank je wel!

I love what you're doing there, great job on those stairs.

Heh. I know, but I also knew you'd understand me. 

Thank you, they were a bit tricky to figure out how to do. 

10 hours ago, robinh said:

reducing the balcony helped.   I would leave the ranger upstairs and have the Orc fighter rushing in down the stairs.   I also think you need to look at the placement of the summoner... kinda hidden in the first run and did not seem to be a focal point for any of the attackers.

Thank you for your comments!

I'm going to do another few mock-ups tonight when I get home and post pics. I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on them. 

6 hours ago, Heisler said:

The stairs help make it come together a lot more for me. Unlike everyone else I actually don't like the columns, they feel to chunky to me. But that's a decision best left to you. The Barbarian coming jumping off the railing is going to be tough to pull off and I might be tempted to do the final assembly in TX if you go that route. A shot with figure placement might be helpful again at this stage. I may need to bow out from further comment at this point, we haven't made judging assignments yet and I would hate to have to withdraw from judging a very interesting piece.

I've decided to not do the leaping effect, it's just too tenuous of a hold to try to do and I really don't want to worry about the thing falling off in transit or messing up paint jobs to glue into place while at reapercon. 

I do greatly appreciate your feedback that you have given and totally understand you not wanting to give additional thoughts if you are to judge it. 

Thank you for calling it interesting ::D: 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
2 people like this