Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baldur8762

A Study in "Good Enough"

16 posts in this topic

It's rather good actually.

And if you do feel the need later, a few washes here and there can improve him further.

This guy is good, nothing to be ashamed of !

5 people like this

I agree.  Looks great. 

2 people like this

Thanks everyone!  I must say it is a little liberating to not stress over the details as much since this is just a tabletop piece. It also really started getting me in the mood to paint more and reminded me of some of the skills I feel have atrophied during my painting hiatus! 

1 hour ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Your "good enough" is my "really good" ...

I think that is an unfair assessment of your skill.  I have seen your work and I think it's great! Honestly the only reason I think my work here isn't too terrible is because i managed to actually get the eyes and the face on the first attempt. I have started to learn how to gently use the brush to paint delicately. If my hands didn't shake as bad as they do I might actually be able to do better.  I wish the pupils were slightly darker but after I got them not looking wonky on the first try, I dared not tempt fate by going back again. It's "Good Enough" lol. 

7 people like this

You know what they say "any plan is better than having no plan".. So a painted mini is always better than one that is half-painted... And that is better than just primed and not started and thats better than cleaned/deburred and.. Well you get the idea.. 

Our greatest foe these days seems to be procrastination and if your "good enough" defeats your tendency to delay and monkey around than it is not "good enough".. It is "damn well perfect!"

(btw.. This is really very well painted mini.. I think there is a lesson to be had from speed painting as well, since Imho it shows you what you lack most. Your list is really not long tbh)

7 people like this

Well done.  I find that anymore "good enough" is my favorite level of completion if only because I don't paint much anymore and have several 20s of figures waiting on me.

5 people like this

11 minutes ago, VolksFest said:

You know what they say "any plan is better than having no plan".. So a painted mini is always better than one that is half-painted... And that is better than just primed and not started and thats better than cleaned/deburred and.. Well you get the idea.. 

Our greatest foe these days seems to be procrastination and if your "good enough" defeats your tendency to delay and monkey around than it is not "good enough".. It is "damn well perfect!"

(btw.. This is really very well painted mini.. I think there is a lesson to be had from speed painting as well, since Imho it shows you what you lack most. Your list is really not long tbh)

Thanks for the kind praise! I agree, it's good to get back to doing something with my minis. I also agree with you about learning what can be improved on.  I learned from this mini that: 1) I don't fully grasp the idea of washes, or rather I should say, I don't seem to use them effectively. 2) I am very poor at doing skin tones. I mean I know they are very complicated in general, but I am apparently missing some key concept when it comes to skin shadows and highlights.  The same can probably said of my ability to properly paint hair.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned is persistence. I really thought this mini looked horrible when I finished doing all the base coating and washing.  I didn't think it would come together as well as it did and I was tempted to ditch it at one point.  I am glad I didn't, completing this mini and feeling like it isn't half bad, gives me a lot of confidence. 

5 people like this

12 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

I mean I know they are very complicated in general, but I am apparently missing some key concept when it comes to skin shadows and highlights.  The same can probably said of my ability to properly paint hair.

To my eye, the biggest thing is that you need deeper shadows on both. (And on the rest of the figure. "Higher highlights; deeper shadows" -- it's a mantra; just chant it continuously. :poke:)

Also, on skin, red is the color of life. And a very thin glaze of RMS Clear Magenta applied in the right places is a really good tool to get that red.

8 people like this

ñice job, i think it looks pretty cool

2 people like this

Nice job! Glad to see you "breaking the funk"! ^_^

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Baldur8762 said:

Perhaps the most important thing I learned is persistence. I really thought this mini looked horrible when I finished doing all the base coating and washing.  I didn't think it would come together as well as it did and I was tempted to ditch it at one point.  I am glad I didn't, completing this mini and feeling like it isn't half bad, gives me a lot of confidence. 

We call that "the ugly stage".  It happens with almost all minis, and it's important to hold onto your vision and keep painting. 

Also, I've accepted that not every mini has to be display quality.  IMO, not every mini is worth that much effort. You can always paint a 2nd one if you think so. 

7 people like this

It is splendid, especially for a fast paint job and a defunker! Welcome back ::D:

3 people like this

I am with you on the "good enough" level of painting. It is something I have been forcing myself into due to limited paint time. And I am getting comfortable with good enough.

And your good enough looks pretty good. 

3 people like this

Very good work on him; 'good enough' is definitely pretty good!:winkthumbs:

2 people like this