Zink

80s nostalgia thread.

48 posts in this topic

Got reading about this in the Bones enthusiasm thread late last night and wanted to take part but it's already moved on (and not Bones related) so decide to start a thread here. I consider myself a child of the 80s. Born in 74 but don't really remember much of the 70s. Grew up with 80s TV, movies and music. Still like a lot of it. I've been watching old movies I loved with my kids off and on lately. Please add your favourites and least favourites and feel free to disagree.

Some things I think have stood up still today. I have all these on DVD

Magnum PI. A couple years ago nobody knew what to give me for my birthday. I hadn't seen this in 20+ years but had fond memories so asked for the DVDs. Watched them all. There were better and worse episodes but overall really enjoyed the show.

Ladyhawke. Not crazy about the music but like the story and had the hots for Michelle Pfeiffer for years.

Conan. Love the soundtrack and some of the story. Some bits not so much but it is THE barbarian movie.

Terminator. Still like the original better than all the sequels. Just the right mix of dark 80s mood, suspense and action.

Princess Bride. Maybe my favourite movie of all time. We had this memorised back then and I can still quote 75% now.

Willow. Nice fantasy story. Doesn't try to do too much.

Cringe worthy.

The A team. Ok we all thought this was a bit wierd even then. But we still watched it every week.

Beastmaster. I thought this was great. Just watched it a couple months ago and changed my mind. Especially the bird men.

Lot more things out there but enough for a start.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

Queen

They just aired the legendary concert of 1986 in TV over here ...

There is a lot of music I like and love, but Queen will always be my favourite band.

36 minutes ago, Zink said:

Magnum PI.

Yeah. hahaha - funnily enough - I just finished watching the last season of Magnum again.

P.S.: Born at the end of the 80s, but since then always been in contact with it somehow.

Edited by Knochensack
7 people like this

The last season wasn't as good for me because you could tell it was kind of tacked on. The second last season though, I really liked. Still worth watching.

I still listen to Queen, Heart and a bunch of other stuff from then. My musical tastes go from some classical to folk to country to pop rock to hard rock. It all depends on the song not the genre.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was a total introverted geek who knew little about pop culture who decided, my last year of high school, that I should pay attention to pop music. So I applied myself. Every week I bought a 45 (Yes!  They still existed in the 1980s!) of the top song of that week, or the next if I already had it.

I remember I had 45s of "Here Comes the Rain Again" and "Time After Time" and "Send Me An Angel" and "99 Red Balloons" and "Strip" and "Safety Dance".

Other hits from my roughly one year of paying attention to pop music:

"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

"Every Breath You Take"

"Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"

"Hungry Like the Wolf"

"When Doves Cry"

"Billie Jean"

"Say Say Say"

"What's Love Got to Do With It"

"Footloose"

"Jump"

"Owner of a Lonely Heart"

"Karma Chameleon"

"She Blinded Me With Science"

"Domo Arigato Mister Roboto"

"Beat It"

"Ghostbusters"

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

"Puttin' on the Ritz"

"Electric Avenue"

"Let's Dance"

"Flashdance / What a Feeling"

"I Just Called to Say I Love You"

"Talking in Your Sleep"

"Hold Me Now"

"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me"

"Don't Turn Around, Der Komissar's in Town"

"Let's Go Crazy"

"Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride"

"Uptown Girl"

"Oh Sherrie"

"i Guess that's Why They Call It the Blues"

"Heart of Rock and Roll"

"Love is a Battlefield"

"Do You Really Want to Hurt Me"

"I Want A New Drug"

"Thriller"

"Wrapped Around Your Finger"

I know almost nothing of pop music outside that one year span, but I rather liked it at that time.

Edited by Pingo
8 people like this

I was born in 81, so my memories of the 80s really only start towards the tail end of it.  I do remember watching GI Joe, Transformers, Danger Mouse, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and the Network Television Premiere of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in the 80s...

going back: 

Transformers (the Movie) held up pretty well, and the soundtrack is excellent.  

GI Joe I turned off,

Danger Mouse, I forced myself to watch S1 on DVD...it's horrible...like, seriously, what was wrong with me

Bill & Ted is still most Excellent, I wore my Wyld Stallyns T-Shirt to the Iron Maiden concert this summer, it was non heinous

Obviously Star Wars holds up, but it's funny, we had a VHS tape of the Network Television Premiere of SW:RotJ that I watched about a million times in the 80s and 90s and I still remember, the advertisements for new cars, only $4995...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Zink said:

The last season wasn't as good for me because you could tell it was kind of tacked on. The second last season though, I really liked. Still worth watching.

I don't know. I really liked the ending of the series.

//

Another song:

Safety Dance - I loved that song back then.

Edited by Knochensack
1 person likes this

Born  in '71. Still plenty of childhood memories of the '70s, but my heart belongs to the 80s.

These were my "Golden Age of TV watching".

• Saturday morning cartoons!
  • After school cartoons! The syndicated stuff with all the toy commercials.
  • So. Many. Sitcoms!
  • Tons of re-runs of classic shows from the 50s-60s-70s.

The first real generation of arcade and console gamers with Atari 2600, ColecoVision (that we owned), Intellivision, and later NES.

These were the days where my creativity in LEGOs, and drawing were at their peak as I was undistracted by things like the Internet, and mostly unconcerned with world events (ah, such innocence).

My first introduction to RPGs (AD&D; choose your own adventure books) was in the early 80s.

Of course, Star Wars came and left a permanent impression on me and my brother.

Heheh, of late I've seen more and more '80s themed events. OUR TIME IS NOW!

7 people like this

I was born in '89, so I'm a bit late to the party. But I was homeschooled, so my parent's musical tastes and movie interests were present and enjoyed. Elton John was always the most soothing music for me. Ladyhawke, Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal were among my favorite movies (Ladyhawke still is). 

3 people like this

Born in '70.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (well, the early 80s...), Slayer, Metallica, Mercyful Fate. Long summer days at the swimming hole with cold beer and country girls. Riding my bike 10 miles to my friend's house...and then riding bikes for the rest of the day.

Otherwise, I'm not big into nostalgia, I spent most of the 80s in an underground progressive/thrash metal band (formed in 84), so mainstream culture was something I actively avoided.

I mostly miss the lack of social media and media saturation in general.

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, Knochensack said:

I don't know. I really liked the ending of the series.

//

Another song:

Safety Dance - I loved that song back then.

Oh it's good. Just think that the build up to the end of season 7(?) was better.

I showed that song to my kids not long ago. It's a great tune that doesn't make a lot of sense if you listen too closely. My kids had also never heard Michael Jackson so we watched a bunch of his videos. I'm not really a fan but like some of them. This lead to watching a ton of Wierd Al Yankovic videos which we liked better than some of the original songs.

Sitcoms... Other than Alf and Cheers I haven't tried watching any of them but there were a ton. Those two are still decent IMO.

4 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I mostly miss the lack of social media and media saturation in general.

On the one hand it's great to be able to communicate with people all over the world so easily. On the other hand we're overloaded with drivel from all over the world.

5 people like this

Just now, Zink said:

I showed that song to my kids not long ago. It's a great tune that doesn't make a lot of sense if you listen too closely. My kids had also never heard Michael Jackson so we watched a bunch of his videos. I'm not really a fan but like some of them. This lead to watching a ton of Wierd Al Yankovic videos which we liked better than some of the original songs.

I just remembered that song when a while ago a friend of mine and I did an all-over-night-watchthrough of the Nichijou animes series and then we found an AMV of it with this song a background.

Voltron is enjoying a nice revival on Netflix. Season 3 just dropped at the beginning of the month.

1 person likes this

GraduateD from high school in 81, spent 84 to 88 in the US Army, so yeah...

Seeing Twisted Sister in the local bars, BEFORE any albums had been cut...

Zebra as well...

Awesome concerts with great seats for $20....

Judas Priest, with Iron Maiden opening... twice!

Black Sabbath (with Ronnie James Dio!!!) Opening for Blue Öyster Cült...

Queen...

Lita Ford and Yngvie Mälmstein...

Rush for Permanent Waves...

Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Rossington Collins, Rainbow  (without Dio:down:)

So many more....

Escape from New York, Blade Runner, Pale Rider, Back to the Future, Ice Pirates(!), Terminator...

The 80s was also when I learned to love Star Trek (TOS)

Thundaar the Barbarian!!!!!

Learning about this thing called a 'Renaissance Faire' and hanging out there on weekends...

Yeah, I still listen to my METAL!

So yeah, I remember when....

4 people like this

Fitting for the topic:

Just tuned in on German Music TV and .... 80's extrem. 2 hours of 80's music :-D Haha.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I got to see a double feature of Clash of The Titans and Jason and The Argonauts in a drive-in... :B):   I also saw The Empire Strikes Back there. And a ton of horrendous 3-D movies as well.

I recently picked up two of the goblins from the old 1980's LJN Dungeons & Dragons line... I've got the box set of the D&D cartoon, too. :B):

Oh, and recently found seasons 4,5, and 7 of McGuyver on dvd at the Goodwill. I had seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice, and the original series of V but had to sell them.

I've actively been pursuing the acquisition of all the old movies that warped my childhood, so I have copies (some of them on vhs) of a lot of old stuff...

Battle Beyond The Stars, The Last Starfighter, The Last Unicorn, Labyrinth, Legend (Tim Curry as Darkness :bday:... Oh, and that Cruise guy.), The Dark Crystal, the Rankin and Bass animated LotR and Hobbit, Krull, Willow, Blade Runner, Escape From New York (Ox Baker, the wrestler, was actually a local for awhile), Pale Rider, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Dragonslayer, The Goonies, The Secret of N.I.M.H,, Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, Heathers, Chinatown, Nightbreed, The Evil Dead, The Terminator, Excalibur, Highlander, Ice Pirates, Footloose, The Breakfast Club...

Not everything was from the '80s, though - When I was about eight or nine, we got our first VCR... ::D: So between clearing out the local video places on weekends and summer breaks and catching old reruns on tv I caught up on a lot of stuff I was a bit too young for when it first came out like Buck Rogers (I caught the last season in real time at nine years old).

Our parents used to give us ten bucks and we'd walk three miles down the highway to the video store. We'd get some burgers at McD's and them blow the rest on 99 cent video rentals and candy and watch six or seven movies over the course of the weekend. And ye gods did we ever see some R-rated movies, lol - the 'rents didn't care about us watching horror movies at all, and as long as there wasn't too much nudity onscreen when they happened to walk into the living room...

I had seen the entire Faces of Death franchise by the time I was twelve, lol. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

I was over at a neighbor's house who had cable when the world premiere of a new pay channel happened...

Yes, I witnessed firsthand the birth of MTV.

Edited by Mad Jack
5 people like this