Zink

80s nostalgia thread.

48 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

My head almost exploded...what on earth is there NOT to love about this film?!?!?!?!

I may be a little biased here, I do actually have an original film poster in pristine condition, framed and mounted in my home-office.  I may be able to recite the dialog for every scene verbatim, start to finish.  I may have had (and still might) have a crush on Sandahl Bergman.

One argument I often hear is that it has very little similarity to the Conan of the Robert E. Howard novels.

The overall movie may be cheesy, but it's fine cheese! With age, it acquired greater appreciation.

Conan the Destroyer on the other hand, did not age as well. Though it's the first Conan movie I saw in theater.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

I may be able to recite the dialog for every scene verbatim, start to finish

To be fair, there's not really that much dialog to quote...  ::D:

3 people like this

Some of us never stopped living in the 80s.

Some of us might be hatching secret plots to try and trick Queen Xenomorphs into wearing lots of neon and having Big Hair. 

Some of us might die in this attempt. 

9 people like this

5 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

I may have had (and still might) have a crush on Sandahl Bergman.

I saw her two years ago at SuperMegaFest... She still has a nice butt, and can apparently still do cartwheels, lol.

The extended cut of Conan the Barbarian makes the movie noticeably better.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Some game/toy commercials for 80s kids - 

Torpedo Run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLn6qG0xFOo

The Animal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

Thunder Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNXu0k4XwY

Rough Riders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDGgtk5EVOI

Dark Tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxrY7MWEkwE

Pole Position: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhRIneQFmHA

Edited by Jeneki

6 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Conan the Destroyer on the other hand, did not age as well. Though it's the first Conan movie I saw in theater.

That movie is like the Brother that no one wants to acknowledge because he was arrested for selling meth to minors. 

3 hours ago, Clearman said:

To be fair, there's not really that much dialog to quote...  ::D:

Can't argue that...but dang it, EVERY line in that movie is extremely quotable... 

3 people like this

42 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

That movie is like the Brother that no one wants to acknowledge because he was arrested for selling meth to minors. 

I rather liked Conan the Destroyer. Not because it was especially good, just because it was good (ish) relative to its competition. I mean, any movie with Arnold, Grace Jones, Kareem, and Mako was definitely going to be memorable, at least.

^_^

7 people like this

7 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

I may have had (and still might) have a crush on Sandahl Bergman.

Really? Wow

Posted (edited)

Throughout the 80s UK TV showed family friendly sci-fi/fantasy on an early Saturday evening. Robin of Sherwood, Buck Rodgers in the 21st Century, Doctor Who etc. I remember all of them fondly, together with being just about young enough to come in from a day spent doing stuff with friends or family, and being unphased by spending a Saturday evening in with my parents. Beer and girls would soon take over

Edited by Beagle
2 people like this

Well, you only have to look at my DVD collection, which includes both of Arnold's Conan movies, Labyrinth, Willow, Legend, Krull, Ladyhawke, The Dark Crystal... oh, and the entire run of Robin of Sherwood (a few of the episodes have some hilarious commentary by Jason Connery and Mark Ryan).

2 people like this

Apparently, Sonny Landham the actor who played the Native American tracker Billy Sole in Predator just passed away...

It's hard to believe it's been fifteen years since the 20th Anniversary re-release of E.T. the Extraterrestrial was in theaters. Damn we're old, lol.

1 person likes this

On 8/17/2017 at 4:05 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

I rather liked Conan the Destroyer. Not because it was especially good, just because it was good (ish) relative to its competition. I mean, any movie with Arnold, Grace Jones, Kareem, and Mako was definitely going to be memorable, at least.

^_^

CtD was awful, but it was enjoyably awful. I burst out laughing in the theatre in the premiere when Kareem jerked his head suddenly... and the batwings on his helmet wiggled; they were made of rubber.

I liked the first Conan film. It wasn't Robert E. Howard's Conan, but at least it was a fantasy film that took itself seriously, had a decent script, had some good actors, and tried to tell a decent story. Keep in mind some of us were still smarting from the Bakshi version of LOTR, as well as bombs like The Sword And The Sorcerer and Krull, which couldn't seem to figure out what genre it wanted to be.

Regrettably, by 1986, I couldn't watch Conan any more. An anecdote: One of the first off campus houses I ever had, me and two roommates. We paid the rent in advance, got everything hooked up, and laughingly got cable with ALL the premium channels! We were the lords of creation! Ahahahaha! And that night, we cooked up pizza rolls and cold beer, and settled in to see what HBO had to offer.

"Conan The Barbarian." Mm. Decent, but we'd all seen it. What's on Showtime?

The middle of "Conan The Barbarian." Ah. Well. Howsabout Cinemax? Something with a former Playmate taking her top off, maybe?

No. James Earl Jones giving his big villain speech in "Conan The Barbarian."

We wound up going out that night, and two months later, downgraded to basic cable. I like brownies, too, but I don't want to eat them every day!

Ladyhawke. There was a film that fought some bad handicaps; it had a fine soundtrack, but NOT one intended for a fantasy film... and the village sets were worse than any Renfaire I've ever attended. They should have either built a village, or stuck to filming in old castles. But the power of the script and the potency of the actors helped a LOT.

I have it on good authority that the director of Predator really liked Sonny Landham for the role. Can't blame him; Landham did well. But the producers insisted they'd only allow Landham to be in the movie if he had a bodyguard.

Director says, "Landham's a handy guy, he doesn't need a bodyguard."

The producer says, "No. The bodyguard is to protect EVERYONE ELSE from SONNY LANDHAM." Turns out he was right; Landham was rather unpredictable, and the set was pretty testosterone soaked as it was...

2 people like this

Yeah, word is that Landham turned into a pretty big wanker over the years... And then he got into conservative politics, got booted out of conservative politics,  developed a bunch of health problems, and pretty much was in the process of crashing and burning completely when he passed away. But I did like him as an actor.

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Yeah, word is that Landham turned into a pretty big wanker over the years... And then he got into conservative politics, got booted out of conservative politics,  developed a bunch of health problems, and pretty much was in the process of crashing and burning completely when he passed away. But I did like him as an actor.

That was my understanding; he saw Jesse Ventura rebrand himself as a conservative politician, and tried to do the same thing... only to discover that Jesse Ventura also possessed a basic sense of diplomacy and a modicum of control of what to say, as opposed to what to keep behind your teeth. 

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

That was my understanding; he saw Jesse Ventura rebrand himself as a conservative politician, and tried to do the same thing... only to discover that Jesse Ventura also possessed a basic sense of diplomacy and a modicum of control of what to say, as opposed to what to keep behind your teeth. 

Apparently "modicum" is a very small quantity, indeed. :B):

3 people like this