odinsgrandson

Book or Crash?

16 posts in this topic

I'm used to attending Gencon every year, and this year will be my first Reapercon.

So, at Gencon, I usually just pick up a whole bunch of generic tickets and go around and crash classes.  Sometimes I can't get in, but usually I can get into the classes that I want.

Is that true of Reapercon as well?  Or do I need to purchase the classes right away?

Also, are the classes paid for in Reaperbucks, or am I misunderstanding something?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Classes are paid for in real cash, and each badge is limited to purchasing only 12.  I think it would be frowned upon if classes were crashed. 

Edited by Clearman
1 person likes this

There is no crashing classes at ReaperCon...

2 people like this

You need to pay for classes but it is up to you whether you buy in advance or at the door.  Do you like having a set schedule, or do you want to wing it with what's left over? 

Games are free, but you should register if you want an assured seat for something. Reapercon is not so large that there are more games than people. 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, odinsgrandson said:

I'm used to attending Gencon every year, and this year will be my first Reapercon.

So, at Gencon, I usually just pick up a whole bunch of generic tickets and go around and crash classes.  Sometimes I can't get in, but usually I can get into the classes that I want.

Is that true of Reapercon as well?  Or do I need to purchase the classes right away?

Also, are the classes paid for in Reaperbucks, or am I misunderstanding something?

I'll address your questions one at a time:

1. There are no "generic tickets" for classes at ReaperCon. You must first buy a badge in order to attend the con at all. Then, you buy a ticket for each individual class you wish to attend. They all cost $40 each, and can be purchased here:  https://reapercon.com/classes
  2. Purchasing now, rather than waiting until you are at the con, will guarantee you a seat; there may be no seats left available by the time the con starts.
  3. Classes are paid for with regular money. Reaperbucks are used solely for the auction on Sunday, and are earned in various ways (attending classes, playing games, etc.)
  4. I know you didn't ask about games, but Inarah mentioned them; they cost $1 per seat, and can be purchased here:  https://reapercon.com/games#RPG

I'm glad you have a chance to attend this year! Please let us know if you have any more questions. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

6 people like this

Correct me if I am wrong but in the 3 years I have attended there were people who would show up to a class and ask the instructor if there was room for one more and if so run to front desk and purchase a ticket for that class.  I think I saw it happen at least once each year in a class I took.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, hungerfan said:

Correct me if I am wrong but in the 3 years I have attended there were people who would show up to a class and ask the instructor if there was room for one more and if so run to front desk and purchase a ticket for that class.  I think I saw it happen at least once each year in a class I took.

It happens, but its not recommended. You are interrupting the class and the instructor at that point when all you need to do is go to registration to see if there are tickets left.

5 people like this

Also, note that at your high skill level, there may not be many if any of the advanced instructors that you will want by the time of the con.  Many of the classes are already sold out (like Jess Rich's).  Getting what you want early, ensures that you get something you want.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 8/16/2017 at 9:51 PM, Clearman said:

Classes are paid for in real cash, and each badge is limited to purchasing only 12.  I think it would be frowned upon if classes were crashed. 

I thought the limit was 8 classes (per ticket), not 12. However I have no idea how well this is enforced.

But you can pay for them with paypal or credit card well in advance. 

On 8/17/2017 at 2:02 PM, Heisler said:

It happens, but its not recommended. You are interrupting the class and the instructor at that point when all you need to do is go to registration to see if there are tickets left.

I'd be pissed if that happens. I'm paying 40 bucks a class, it gets full, and John Doe gets to squeeze in presumably for free? I hope not.

Edited by MnemonicGhost
2nd quote/reply added
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, MnemonicGhost said:

I thought the limit was 8 classes (per ticket), not 12. However I have no idea how well this is enforced.

The limit was increased this year. There is also built in coding in the classes that prevents the sale of a ticket if you have your limit. It will also prevent the sale of conflicting classes if you choose two classes at the same time slot on the same day.

On 8/17/2017 at 3:39 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Also, note that at your high skill level, there may not be many if any of the advanced instructors that you will want by the time of the con.  Many of the classes are already sold out (like Jess Rich's).  Getting what you want early, ensures that you get something you want.

There's a surprising number of open seats still left.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, MnemonicGhost said:

I'd be pissed if that happens. I'm paying 40 bucks a class, it gets full, and John Doe gets to squeeze in presumably for free? I hope not.

Nobody gets into a class for free. If there are still empty seats available for purchase by the time the class starts, they can be purchased at the registration desk. There is a hard limit on the number of seats in each class, so once all the seats are full, the class is full.

Huzzah!

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

The limit was increased this year. There is also built in coding in the classes that prevents the sale of a ticket if you have your limit. It will also prevent the sale of conflicting classes if you choose two classes at the same time slot on the same day.

There's a surprising number of open seats still left.

IIRC, overlapping classes trigger a warning only; you aren't prevented from buying them. (In part, this is because you can have multiple memberships on the same account.)

3 people like this

From the ReaperCon Classes web page:

It is important to note that there is a limit of 8 Class Tickets per Attendee this year. If you have purchased 2 tickets, for example, you may purchase up to 16 classes.

Is this information outdated?

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Serenity said:

From the ReaperCon Classes web page:

It is important to note that there is a limit of 8 Class Tickets per Attendee this year. If you have purchased 2 tickets, for example, you may purchase up to 16 classes.

Is this information outdated?

@Reaperbryan

Which is correct? 8 class max or 12 class max?

Huzzah!

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

@Reaperbryan

Which is correct? 8 class max or 12 class max?

Huzzah!

8 is the limit, but the code that restricted purchases was turned off because of a particular edge case - the case of parents of children under 10 who needed no badge, but waned to take the classes aimed at kids. The limiting code would have artificially restricted the parent's ability to take 8, by consider the child the same person as them.

8 people like this